Satellite Radio Antenna

Bread

Advanced Member
I had satellite radio several years ago. Just kept the antenna mounted to the front dash with some velcro. When I moved to the mountains, reception became a problem when driving in narrow valleys because the satellites were getting blocked and the antenna wasn't mounted in the ideal location. Instead of remounting the antenna, I just discontinued service.

Fast forward to now and preparing for the big North American road trip. Satellite radio would be nice to have on the road. How are folks configuring their antenna while hauling a FWC? On the roof of the FWC with a cable going into the truck cab or somewhere attached to the truck? How's your reception?

The stock GM position on mine works pretty good.
It is the sail antenna on the drivers side next to the clearance light.
You do need that southern exposure though. Sometimes when driving due north on down hills mine will breakup.

I put mine right at the back of the truck hood, close to the drivers-side fender. The cable comes up thru the gap between the hood and the cowl (protected by plastic sleeving). It works fine there. I have the same problem of losing the signal when there are trees close to the road, but it seems about the same as in my car where the antenna is on the roof. I could move the antenna to the center of the hood, still at the back - there's lots of cable.

I take the camper off the truck in the winter, so I couldn't put the antenna on top without having to move it to the truck cab roof, which would mean the cable would be dangling about and being snagged by branches. The magnetic mount wouldn't work on the aluminum anyway. So I tried it on the back of the hood and that seems OK

- Bernard

I have mine on the hood of my Tacoma as well. I had to use 3rd party antennas for both XM and GPS since Toyota thought the back of the cab was a good place for the shark fin on the Tacoma whereas the Tundra has it on the front. :cautious:

I attach mine to the hood of my truck right next to the windshield wiper fluid spout

Mine is on the top corner of the passenger side windshield.. Works great while driving... But... While camping, usually in Baja, usually pointed NW into the wind, usually with the top popped up, it's not very good..... End up leaving the radio off while camped

TT

I put the stock XM antenna on the hood of my Tacoma near the FRONT right. Never had the signal blocked by the truck. I ran the wire up along the inside of the hood affixed with gaffers tape. Then it is held onto the hood with its magnet. Due to the design of the Tacoma hood, I cannot even see it from the driver's seat.

You can see it here:

BikeRack-bike_800w-IMG_0725.jpg

Stalking Light said:
I have mine on the hood of my Tacoma as well. I had to use 3rd party antennas for both XM and GPS since Toyota thought the back of the cab was a good place for the shark fin on the Tacoma whereas the Tundra has it on the front. :cautious:
Hey there,
I am trying to figure out how to get the XM radio to work when the camper is on. I've been told by at least one local shop that it's "impossible" to use a different antenna, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case...
What type of aftermarket antenna did you use? Was there anything unusual or any special parts needed to connect the aftermarket antenna to the XM module - was it simple plug and play and just route the wire to where it needs to go?

ridenorcal said:
Hey there,
I am trying to figure out how to get the XM radio to work when the camper is on. I've been told by at least one local shop that it's "impossible" to use a different antenna, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case...
What type of aftermarket antenna did you use? Was there anything unusual or any special parts needed to connect the aftermarket antenna to the XM module - was it simple plug and play and just route the wire to where it needs to go?
On my Tacoma they used a Metra euro car to male Motorola and Metra Lexus radio antenna adapter (or at least that's what they charged me for). I had mine done by a local car stereo shop, Sound Sensations.

Back
Top Bottom