satellite radio or powered portable speaker?

tree

I have been using a dewalt portable radio for years while camping. but the quality of sound is not the best. and with the kids in college using all my phone plan data when Wi-Fi is not avail is making me think about installing the new xm command touch satellite radio and a Bose powered speaker in the camper. but I listen outside a lot. too many wires on the xm. need portable. what does everybody else use? I have a week long camping trip in Feb. "king of the hammers"

You know for years all I had was my old "super radio"to get the local weather and my SF Giants/49ers; sometimes I got something, sometimes, I didn't! This summer I got a Sirius XM sat. radio SD2 portable speaker dock. As long as keep the batteries good and make sure that I have a clear southern view(real important), I get my games/music etc., because I too, like to sit/work outside the pop-up and listen! When it's time to go inside, I just pick up the dock, go inside and plug her into the socket and again if I have a southern view I continue to get good reception. FYI-I go through an 8 battery pack per trip(about 2 weeks out of a month). I have the stuff to hook it up to the truck radio, but never have-to lazy! For local stuff, though I still depend on my old "super radio". That help?

Smoke

Stalking Light said:
I have 3000+ songs on my iPhone and a bluetooth speaker that I use, although when I'm boondocking I mostly listen to the quiet. ;)
Me too-like it natural-but gotta listen to my sports if the Giants are doing good-I know a failing on my part :p !

Smoke

The Grundig G8 portable radio is small and really pulls in FM stations. It runs on three AA batteries, but could be connected to 12 Volts with an appropriate (6-Volt) adaptor. Sound quality from the single small speaker isn't very good for music -- external speakers would be an improvement. I use it to listen to news on NPR and it's great for that. I don't use it much, tho, preferring the natural sounds of wherever I am.

- Bernard

maybe im getting older, but im starting to like the quiet also. thanksgiving trip was first outing with the hawk, and some friends shown up with a karaoke speaker, and the other on a Harley. quiet time was over. this next trip is a bit crowded with 60k people. but the sound of horsepower in the distance. I cant wait to get back to my solo trips soon. I might sell the dewalt radio and invest in the Bose sound link 3 today. I have Bose in the garage/shop and I am happy with their products. but xm is on my maybe list for the future.

We have portable speakers. Use them very little, usually only after being on the road for over two weeks. Prefer the quiet.

tree said:
I have been using a dewalt portable radio for years while camping. but the quality of sound is not the best. and with the kids in college using all my phone plan data when Wi-Fi is not avail is making me think about installing the new xm command touch satellite radio and a Bose powered speaker in the camper. but I listen outside a lot. too many wires on the xm. need portable. what does everybody else use? I have a week long camping trip in Feb. "king of the hammers"
If you already have this kind of tech, consider a 3 month free subscription to Apple Music. As long as you stay subscribed ($10/mo) you can download content locally onto your device for the times that you do not have Wi-Fi access.

Give it a try and see how it works for you before you spend your $

There are plenty of water resistant bluetooth speaker options if you move forward in this direction.

If you already have this kind of tech, consider a 3 month free subscription to Apple Music. As long as you stay subscribed ($10/mo) you can download content locally onto your device for the times that you do not have Wi-Fi access.

Give it a try and see how it works for you before you spend your $

There are plenty of water resistant bluetooth speaker options if you move forward in this direction.
wow, scary, you read my mind, I was actually on iTunes when you posted this. I tried it for free last year. and I did upload most of the songs to stay away from data usage. I have 32gigs for my family plan but the 2 college daughters rob that data fast LOL. so I think im going back to iTunes unlimited. and with the bose soundlink 3, so I can use at home, work, inside camper, and outside camper. problem solved. and I thank you for the ideas.

We use Apple Music all the time while camping and driving. No kids to steal our data and we usually have a cell signal so streaming works out fine for us. Audio isn't too hard on the data plan whereas video is killer. I do keep some stuff on our devices for when we are out of range. Seems to work well for us.

32GB is a lot of data.

If you have iPhones there is a cool app called my data manager. I'm picky about apps, they need to be simple and useful for me to recommend them. Anyhow it does a great job of monitoring your data usage, giving notification, setting daily, monthly budgets etc. It might be something you check out and suggest your daughters install.

My experience with teens, millennials and phone plan data is that unless I physically restrict them via Verizon's tools, all the monitoring in the world is worthless. But I agree, 32 GB is ridiculously gluttonous.

Sent from my XT1254 using Wander The West mobile app

I'm using my iphone 6+ with the Bose Soundlink 3 in my Hawk and my ipod pretty much stays in the Denali center console for road rockin'.

I love Apple products!

Last summer I installed an automotive stereo (radio, CD player, USB input) in a box I built. Speakers built right into the water cabinet. GREAT sound (but not intended for listening outside). I have an antenna. I am currently loading hundreds of songs on a USB stick that I plan to take along. I agree with several others....I don't care for blasting the music outside unless there is no one else around to bother. Love all the different approaches folks have.

Attachments

• With speakersB.jpg
    With speakersB.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Open CabinetB.jpg
    Open CabinetB.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 73
I'm using my iphone 6+ with the Bose Soundlink 3 in my Hawk and my ipod pretty much stays in the Denali center console for road rockin'.

I love Apple products!
I tried the soundlink mini 2 and the 3 lastnight. the 2 seems like a better sound. but less volume than the 3. I adjusted the eq on the iphone. so the dewalt sounds a little better. still have not made a final decision yet. LOL

Back
Top Bottom