Scepter gas cans

telebrewer

Advanced Member
Does anyone know where to find the original Sceptor 5 or 6 gal. gas cans. They were the best in my opinion. I think they can't sell them anymore because of air pollution standards. I've searched e-bay and Craigslist. If anyone has any idea where I can find them, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

As I understand it CARB regulations have made them illeagl in CA. Which has made them pretty much unavaliable in the US....

They come up for sale online once in a while and are quickly sold out...

I bought mine on eBay a couple years ago.

I just did an eBay search using "scepter cans" and and came up with numerous listings. Try your search again.

Similar one on Amazon?

That is a metal can - The Scepter ones are plastic and super tough.

Here is a very similar one being sold as a 'water' can

Water can

The metal US style 5 gallon cans, in my opinion, are terrible. I've used the Scepter cans and they are much better. I personally have the metal NATO cans with the flip open lid, they rock and I have carried them on there side, flat, etc with no leaks.

Does anyone know where to find the original Sceptor 5 or 6 gal. gas cans. They were the best in my opinion. I think they can't sell them anymore because of air pollution standards. I've searched e-bay and Craigslist. If anyone has any idea where I can find them, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
[/quote

http://www.buylci.com/

Try this. They only have the water cans but I have 4 of these and two of the original Scepter and can't see any difference. 18.99 and free shipping over $50. LCI is the main website and you have to log on as a guest to purchase.
They do have Property of the US Goverment on the side, but that doesn't bother me.
Dsrtrat

So what's the best way of getting fuel from these spout-less cans into your tank? Preferably without spilling or getting it all over my hands.

So what's the best way of getting fuel from these spout-less cans into your tank? Preferably without spilling or getting it all over my hands.

I go this route without getting it on me but a super siphon would probably be a little cleaner. Works for me anyway.

gene1p18.jpg

x2 super siphon. Since I started using those I've never taken the cans off of my Jeep.

Dumb question here: Once the siphon is used, it is going to have fuel residue inside and at the end that went into the can at a minimum. How do you then store it so the gas residue isn't stinking everything up? I spilled a little gas one time down the side of the truck and a little onto the tire, when the stupid nozzle didn't stop pumping at full (my local Shell is always under-maintained), and it stunk like gas for days even after rinsing off everything I could.

[/quote

http://www.buylci.com/

Try this. They only have the water cans but I have 4 of these and two of the original Scepter and can't see any difference. 18.99 and free shipping over $50. LCI is the main website and you have to log on as a guest to purchase.
They do have Property of the US Goverment on the side, but that doesn't bother me.
Dsrtrat

I fixed the broken link in the message, the new one takes you to the buylci.com site.

I saw them at Western marine in stock.They had the new carb approved nozzels,just like the old style but longer nozzel push in on nozzel release fuel let off it stops,not the wide lip like older ones.24.95

What besides weight and cost makes the metal cans a bad choice? Seems like it would be easy to steal gas out of the plastic Scepter cans by poking a couple of holes in them. Can you lock the filler caps? I sometimes leave my truck at trail heads for days at a time.

What besides weight and cost makes the metal cans a bad choice? Seems like it would be easy to steal gas out of the plastic Scepter cans by poking a couple of holes in them. Can you lock the filler caps? I sometimes leave my truck at trail heads for days at a time.

The cheap metal cans leak and or don't seal well at all. And then you have gas everywhere....

If you just lock the cans - I can just open them in place and siphon out the contents. With either style can you need something that locks down over the tops/spouts/etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-85043-Gallon-Spill/dp/B0038U3FQ0

I bought two Blitz the old style with the wide mouth and they always leaked and while pouring into tank. sold them and bought two Briggs & Stratton metal cans with the smaller screw on cap. The new safety spout is slow but I have time.

Have them on the trailer straped down and a wire cable lock through the handle. If somebody wants or needs the gas that bad I would rather them unscrew the cap and siphen the gas out and leave the can un-damaged!

I parked my older 4 Runner at a trail head and with the inside lock for the gas tank the person just crawled under the runner and cut the filler hose and took the gas leaving me buying a new - not cheap - gas tank to filler hose. Then he went on to use the gas to burn down the visitor center at the Bristle Cone Forest White Mountians.

Back
Top Bottom