Screen on Louvered Window

Walldiver

Advanced Member
I need to change the screen for the louvered window on the passenger's side of my Hawk. Taking a close look at the screen frame, I can't figure out how to remove it to replace the screen. I'm sure someone here has had to do it.

Hi Walldiver,

86 views and no answers. My guess is no one has done it. At least I know I haven't. If you get the screen door option it is built into the frame for the door. Maybe that is the case with the louvered window, too? Give Terry or Chicali at FWC a call, they have always been helpful. Or maybe Stan will chime in with an answer.

Ted

If you look at the screen from outside the camper you will see that there is a rubber keeper that runs the entire perimeter of the screen to hold it in. Look for the corner that has the end points and remove the rubber keeper from there. When you replace the screen you may need a window screen tool (looks like a small pizza cutter with wheels about the size of a quarter on each end.) You should be able to find the tool where ever you get your screen from.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 126
Hi Walldiver,

86 views and no answers. My guess is no one has done it. At least I know I haven't. If you get the screen door option it is built into the frame for the door. Maybe that is the case with the louvered window, too? Give Terry or Chicali at FWC a call, they have always been helpful. Or maybe Stan will chime in with an answer.

Ted

Ted, thinking the same thing all those hits. Thought I would give it a try here before I contacted Terry. I think its going to be a bit of a pain to replace the screen.

If you look at the screen from outside the camper you will see that there is a rubber keeper that runs the entire perimeter of the screen to hold it in. Look for the corner that has the end points and remove the rubber keeper from there. When you replace the screen you may need a window screen tool (looks like a small pizza cutter with wheels about the size of a quarter on each end.) You should be able to find the tool where ever you get your screen from.

Doesn't look like much fun to do, but its the same as installing new screen in any frame. Local hardware store should have screen, new rubber keeper strips, and the tool. Once you've gotten yours all done, you'll be good at it. :D

OK, On my November 2011 Hawk, from the outside, there are two plastic clip/keepers on the top of the Screen, I removed them from the outside and the screen came out.

In the photo below, the clip is upside down. I did not pay attention to how it came out so it took me a little longer to get it back in. The first photo is of the clip in place from the outside of the camper looking up at the screen.
I edited this post and added the pictures.

Steve

P1060899.JPG P1060900.JPG

OK, On my November 2011 Hawk, from the outside, there are two plastic clip/keepers on the top of the Screen, I removed them from the outside and the screen came out.

In the photo below, the clip is upside down. I did not pay attention to how it came out so it took me a little longer to get it back in. The first photo is of the clip in place from the outside of the camper looking up at the screen.
I edited this post and added the pictures.

Steve

View attachment 15057 View attachment 15058

I have the same year Hawk, should be the same on mine. I did'nt notice the clips, if they are black like the frame they must blend in and that is why I did'nt notice. Thanks Steve, that was what I was looking for.

Pat

I've changed the screens on my house windows and screen doors and have the grommet tool. Would be a b#%*h to change the screen with the screen on the camper with the louvers blocking your access.

Pat

I've changed the screens on my house windows and screen doors and have the grommet tool. Would be a b#%*h to change the screen with the screen on the camper with the louvers blocking your access.

Pat

I agree! The screen has some wiggle room. Get yourself a helper and have them push up and to one side on the screen frame from inside while you push on the screen frame from outside the camper. It should pop right out just like KK7OQ shows in his post. When re-installing place the top edge in first and push up hard until the bottom edge clears.

I agree! The screen has some wiggle room. Get yourself a helper and have them push up and to one side on the screen frame from inside while you push on the screen frame from outside the camper. It should pop right out just like KK7OQ shows in his post. When re-installing place the top edge in first and push up hard until the bottom edge clears.

Mission accomplished. Screen frame is a tight fit, I was able to remove and replace in the window without help. Thanks all.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom