Sealing Seams

Reporting back on the seam sealing experience… I used the gear aid fast cure seam sealant. I can attest that it did cure quickly despite significant humidity. I left everything open until well past the 2-4 hour cure time to be certain. 99% rubbing alcohol served well to remove past goo. It came off with ease from the interior portions and required a bit more elbow grease on the exterior areas. That said, I’m not entirely sure what product I was removing and it may have been something different outside. This past weekend’s camp included pea soup fog and heavy winds. No moisture seeped through the seams at all despite major accumulation outside. The application brush would have been easier to control on a traditional tent where you could work on a horizontal surface. When this job needs to be done again, I will likely take the top off and use a small paintbrush instead to better control the drips. My fingers were partially waterproofed for two days. I’ll wear gloves next time.

Attachments

• IMG_4664.jpeg
    IMG_4664.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 19
I use Bee's Knees Super Wax on my seams, both on the camper vinyl and boat canvas seams. No mess, apply when warm. The bee's wax also works great on zippers. I've repaired a couple of small holes in the camper vinyl with Aquaseal.

Back
Top Bottom