Securing FWC Hawk by factory corner jacks

Noodlin Nate

First time post -- been a long time reader and am finally picking up a 2018 Hawk with rollover couch.

Question is: is it safe to secure the camper to the bed of my truck--temporarily, to get it home about 150 hwy miles--using Brophy bed rail clamps (not stakes) and FWC's factory mechanical jacks/aluminum bracket? Using turnbuckles to make the connection at all four points.

Alternatively, I'm thinking of using my 2017 F-150's corner cleats (the little ones, not BoxLink cleats) to connect the camper with turnbuckles AND adding straps or another set of turnbuckles between the Brophy bed rail mounts and the mechanical jacks/brackets. I don't trust the corner cleats 100%.

I don't want to drill the bed for eye bolts right now because I'm not sure I'll keep this F-150 as my camper rig, preferring instead to use a 3/4 ton truck.

I do have a rubber bed mat to set the camper on, which gives me a little more confidence in doing what I've suggested.

Feel free to rip this idea apart ... just don't want to do something regrettable. Thanks for any input/advice!

Nate

I suspect you will be OK with the Brophy Clamps, Adding straps would not hurt.

That said -> If it were me, I’d play it safe and add the eyebolts.

Thanks for the input.

Heard back from FWC--they said it's fine to use ratchet straps for temporary highway transport, connecting the jack brackets to the frame in the front and to either the frame or hitch in the rear.

When we picked up our Hawk, we put it on a horse mat and secured it to the in-bed tiedowns of our 2015 F150 with the FWC-provided turnbuckles. After that, we went over Echo Pass (sea level to 7400') with no problems at all, it didn't move. If you're not planning on extreme offroading and are willing to check every couple of trips that everything hasn't moved and is still tensioned, it's not best, but you'd probably be ok.

Short answer is should be fine.

Using the jack brackets and tying down your Hawk on the outside is not unheard of. A search of the threads on here will, (or should) give several threads over the years discussing outside tie downs, fastguns, torklift vs happijac, Brophy systems and so on. The Brophy products have been around a long time and made for campers heavier than yours. Frankly I’d question if your F150 is newer, if the side rails can stand up to the mounts. Of course mounting to the frame as FWC mentioned is best. How one does that without brackets and not damage the bed; I don’t know.

Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom