Sedona Help!

chnlisle

Post Master
Pam wants to head up to Sedona for some crystal gazing and spiritual awakening in a few days. Maybe next Monday to avoid the weekenders. I've never been there so I need some camp site suggestions preferably on the river.

There is so little camping in Sedona. It's all outside. I've never camped there myself, but I've investigated it. I'd likely do Schnebly Hill Road (above Sedona, off I-17). Here's a link. I believe you can camp anywhere between the freeway (A) and the elevation change (:cool:. The road then drops into Sedona.

Good luck and tell me how it goes. Sedona is on my wife's short list of places to see.

Oh yeah, I think there are some places west of town that work OK, too. More desert/rocks where Schnebly Hill is pines/grass.

Go up Schnebly hill road, the road going up is great for Red Rock stuff. Take it all the way up until you get in the tree level and just past the small lake there is some dirt road forking off to the right into the trees.
AZ trip 00008.jpg

we were there last year...

before our Panther days....camped in the Manzanita Campground along Hwy 89....depends on how isolated you want to be but this suited our purpose last year as we were only about 15 minutes outside of town....site says tent camping only, but we had a shell on the truck at the time and talked with the host ahead of time....just weren't set up for RV's was main issue....convenience was key last year as we were just getting spouse back into the camping routine....it worked by the way since we bought our Panther eight months later;)

see my other posts regarding oak creek canyon on hwy 89a

do not miss it.

best to drive down from the north...

Jay,

There is an area off of 179 just before the red rock pass area that I have camped in before... I believe it is off of Beaverhead Flat Road or something like that. I can check a map and confirm if that area would suit your needs.

Kyle

i agree with Bat

you can go up Schnebly Rd.....in fact we are there right now....on our way home from southern NM and decided to try south on I-17 from the I-40 just to see what we could find....came in off exit #320 about 4 or 5 miles....apparently could go all the way into Sedona if we just keep driving...signs say truck or 4x4 required but haven't run across anything of concern....in fact passed a couple of trailers set up off in the trees...:thumb:

Jay,
If you get into Sedona, be sure to drive up to the airport. It's located on top of a hill overlooking the valley, great views. Last time I flew into Sedona there was biplane operator that offered scenic tours for a couple hundred bucks. The country is spectacular from the air and I'd recommend the flight if you have the time & bucks. I took a few pics of Sedona from the air a while back and if I can find them, I'll post them.

Jay,

Yes, I think it is.... Well, Google and Slashdot are pretty good, too...

Anyway: please write at least a brief trip report as my wife would like to visit Sedona, also.

I hope you don't mind crowds as Sedona is pretty crowded all summer. I think I would wait until after Labor Day to go. The suggestions about Schnebly Hill road are good. Having lived in the area in the 1960's and having enjoyed Sedona when it didn't look like a 'burb, I have trouble going there now. I went through Sedona the middle of June and it was packed. If this doesn't bother you, go for it.

Well Oops!!
Thanks for all the info but the best laid plans etc.
Pam's brother suffered a serious cycling accident Sudnday en route to San Diego from Newport. So we are scrambling to get a house/dogs sitter and then off to The OC Friday.

Back
Top Bottom