Self Quarantine Things to Do

What to do?

Take the dog on a walk on nearby forest lands. Find a trash heap camp from last summer. Yuck.
Clear fallen branches, organize the last burn pile of the season. (I prefer chipping).
Install hoops and visqueen in the garden. Prepare to bring out squash, cukes and other starts from laundry room.
Install 1600 watts of lighting over tomatoes in the garden shed. (120 toms from seed this year).

Chores never end.

Replace the side motor mount on the honda before I sell it. Just youtube'd it and sadly its well within my capabilities.

Do not walk the dog by the homeless camps. Yesterday he rolled in something and required two baths to clean it off.

This seems about right.
IMG_4690.jpeg
Frank

I stumbled on a great YouTube channel produced by an Aussie couple who are cruising their local waters on a small (30’) fifty year old sailboat. Nothing fancy, but capable. There are about 125 videos (I’m about on 15) that are full of wonderful travels, lots of fishing, spectacular aboriginal art, and common sense ideas on how to have fun on a limited budget. I suggest subscribing.

My little buddy, Barking Spider is a USFS certified faller both with chain saws and hand cross cut saws for work inside Wilderness. You don't want to be around him when he sees a stump that shows improper technique.

My friend Frank who removed over a dozen trees here at our place was incredible to watch, an absolute master -

Trees

Always fun to watch a pro work. Got to see quite a few when I was with CDF. We'd fall the little ones but the big ones or anything you didn't feel comfortable with got a pro.

Buddy of mine has take out a lot of trees on his property. He's not crazy though. The one leaning over the house he left to a professional.

This is the site to watch the Ca.Condors at Big Sur.
#67 is the male,#90 is the female.

The egg is about to hatch.Yesterday the chick started piping
the shell.
You can go back in time about 12 hours at least and watch.

This is their second hatch.2 years ago they were their first to sit and hatch their own egg.
Usually after the female lays the egg it's taken out and replaced with a plastic one.
The egg is taken to the breading area down south.When an egg is ready to start the hatch
it is brought back to the nest to replace the plastic one.

This pair have laid the egg they are hatching.They are the first to have done that in the wild.
Enjoy.
Isn't shelter-in-place great?
Frank
http://ventanaws.org/condor_cam.html

I got something from all, but I definitely appreciated watching that Sizwell <sp> cut go down.

I gotta say, each successful drop put a smile on my face.
Too bad most all of our trees are long gone here...

Great stuff. Good post. thanks

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Tree Falling Science - I had no idea there were so many subtle techniques to safely drop a tree. File under Science and Education.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Tree Falling Science - I had no idea there were so many subtle techniques to safely drop a tree. File under Science and Education.

Thanks Sage for posting this. Good to show different types of cuts, always something to pick up. They explained the Sizwill cut pretty good and is a handy tool to use in the right situation.

I was shocked as to how much they were relaxed and willing to accept risk without chaps and gloves. Not to mention not moving away from the tree as they were falling. They do it enough might have lost the fear of death.

ski3pin said:
My little buddy, Barking Spider is a USFS certified faller both with chain saws and hand cross cut saws for work inside Wilderness. You don't want to be around him when he sees a stump that shows improper technique.

My friend Frank who removed over a dozen trees here at our place was incredible to watch, an absolute master -

Trees
I should go out with Barking Spider for some trail work...

For us the USFS only will give us "bucking" only for our work. I still manage to drop some trees for friends.

I walk the trails and even a tree that has been bucked off a trail showing improper technique gets me shaking my head.

Ski Thanks for the link to your tree removal. Sitting on the deck with refreshments and snacks watching the show is better than being inside watching the TV. Oh the sight, sounds and smell....

My neighbor has been a tree faller for 30 years. I went to work with him one day and he fell several trees for me. He is really an artist. Falls the tree exactly where he wants them. And it’s not just the falling, watching him buck the tree is like watching a ballerina. Totally fluid and makes it look effortless, even while wielding a 24lb, 98cc chainsaw still 55 years old. Simply awe-inspiring. Huge respect. I’ll see if I can post a video.

On a little different subject, the Lady and I took advantage of this extended break from travel with maintenance on the old truck.

We turned over 200,000 miles on Christmas Day. I have the recommended and my own maintenance schedule we keep. And, we do the majority of the work. After all, the old truck is our partner out in the backcouuntry. We should be aware of what makes it tick.

Changing out the spark plugs, I noticed a minor oil seep from the right valve cover gasket. Everything needs to come off the top of the engine to accomplish this task. This makes it good time to get to other parts too, since they're exposed. New valve cover gaskets on both sides along with intake manifold gaskets. Cleaned the throttle body and idle control valves. New gaskets for them, also. Replaced the fuel injectors and found the insert seats in the heads for the injectors hard and brittle. Those were removed and replaced.

Had to wait over two weeks for the new OEM Bosch injectors. It was nice not to be in a hurry. Most all the other parts were easy to get.

Finished up end of last week. Yup, remembered where everything went. Julie is getting to be a great mechanic's helper. She wouldn't let me start it up until she did her own under the hood inventory to see that everything was correct.

The old truck purrs like a kitten. :)

I discovered an oil seep from the pan gasket. We'll take care of replacing that next oil change. Yup, even with 4x4 drive, we can pull the pan with the engine in the truck.

Yesterday we washed the truck and camper and took care of some maintenance items in the camper.

Sitting on our butts is not an option.

Great job as long as you didn't have any nuts/bolts left over.
I also did some minor work on the camper.
Cleaned the spider webs off,running the Truckfridge/drained/replaced water in fresh water tank.
And just general look around.
Think it's going to be a while before we feel comfortable out and about.
Frank

Cleaned up the Jeep. Pulled the winch off. It still worked but it was bouncing up and down. Fortunately its a warn so parts aren't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom