Self Quarantine Things to Do

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Had to break free from the "coronas" and take the "girlie" car for a
short ride around the neighborhood.
Nice sunny to get a couple miles on it.
Frank

attachicon.gif
Picture 209.jpeg
Pretty nice, Frank! My brother bought a red 64.5 right off the lot when they first came out. My sister in law has a '66 - 289 and manual - she sure likes hers. :)

For a long time now I've wanted to refresh my compass skills. Can't take a class in person but there a lot of youtube videos out there. So after ordering winch parts I went out and grabbed my compasses. At least I knew where they were. Quickly realized I don't have the right type for using with a map. Ordered up a Suunto M3-NH compass. Seemed to be the most common one the youtubers were using.

Thanks Vic.It has only 77K. 3 years ago after I sold my 67 Shelby GT 350,I bought it new.

Beautiful... how many miles?

I spent some of the money on the 65.Complete engine rebuild ,new front end ,added a power brake unit and shoulder belts.
In 3 years now I have only driven it less then 500 miles.

I have been around this car since it was purchased new by a very good friend.
When she passed 19 years ago it came to me through her will.
I would do the work on it for her so it's almost like it was mine from the start.

When I take it out it's still fun to drive.But with all the traffic on the roads these days
it's just not like the late 60s.
Frank

craig333 said:
For a long time now I've wanted to refresh my compass skills. Can't take a class in person but there a lot of youtube videos out there. So after ordering winch parts I went out and grabbed my compasses. At least I knew where they were. Quickly realized I don't have the right type for using with a map. Ordered up a Suunto M3-NH compass. Seemed to be the most common one the youtubers were using.
I took CSU Chico's Orienteering Class to keep me at full time units. Used the Silva Expedition S that I got in HS when taking the Basic Mountaineering Training Course from the Sierra Club, and for the life of me I could not ever end up where I was supposed to. On the final the instructor reviewed my work after coming out in the wrong place yet again and agreed that I'd done it right.

Then he put my compass on a wooden table next to several of the school's loaners. Mine indicated 30° (!) East of all of the others. I sent it to Silva and they never told me anything, but they did send a replacement. Now I periodically check my compass against others that I may come across.

ntsqd said:
<snip>

Then he put my compass on a wooden table next to several of the school's loaners. Mine indicated 30° (!) East of all of the others. I sent it to Silva and they never told me anything, but they did send a replacement. Now I periodically check my compass against others that I may come across.
In the 25 years we've been teaching land navigation, we stress checking your compass, especially at purchase. The most common error is the needle painted (red /white) opposite. The red end should indicate magnetic north. When painted opposite the white end does.

We have a simple field test we start with that also is the first instruction on compass use. We all dial in compass headings and then point that direction. Instructors should quickly pick out either mistakes with technique or compass issues among the students - the one or two pointing a different direction.

That was a compass previously known to work and indicate correctly. We both passed the Orienteering portion of the BMTC (now called the "Wilderness Travel Course") with the highest possible score using that compass. When I pulled it out for that class it still had Joshua Tree's declination setting. Not sure what happened to it riding around in a vehicle for ~20 years, but it was not near any known magnets or magnetic field generators.

I dunno if he is that far off on the Vietnam war start. Found this reference.

It took a while for it to occupy a lot of US soldiers but the start could be traced close to the date stated.

Paul

I think yes the first "advisors"is about right.I think we took over from the French?
I was on ship there 63/67. 63/64/65 we were just starting to have air strikes from the Ranger CVA 61.
Yes a great prospective.
Frank

View attachment 37120

I began this crocheted shawl in late February, finished it a couple of days ago.
And I guess I finally figured out how to put a photo in a post so now I need to go pop up the camper and share my build-out.

teledork said:
I began this crocheted shawl in late February, finished it a couple of days ago.
And I guess I finally figured out how to put a photo in a post so now I need to go pop up the camper and share my build-out.
Beautiful shawl! Very nice work.

We're excited to see what you've done with your new camper! :)

another way to spend my time at home
painting Cymbidium Orchids in the greenhouse
it's warm and out of the wind, also full of green stuff to munch on like lettuce and chard and chives

I primarily paint landscapes but when I first delved into watercolor painting about 15 years ago I began with flowers - orchids, iris, wildflowers. They are easy, Landscapes are hard.

View attachment 37128

View attachment 37129

Back
Top Bottom