Setting the FWC aside for a while.

K6ON

Old & Soft
Just pulled the FWC off the truck and covered her up for a while.

While at Overland Expo, I had a chance to see a new Ural "Gear Up" with a sidecar. Absolutely fell in love, and yesterday puled the trigger on a new 2010 Ural, a modern day antique. It's also the "Gear Up" model done up in camo... I quit riding bikes about 30 years ago after a major accident. Thought I'd never ride again, and along comes the Ural and I'm smitten. Must have a screw loose, but what the hell, I only live once.

Have signed up for a 3 day sidecar class in Oregon June 11,12 13 as there's none in CA. Looks like most of the summer will be spent on the bike. Oh, it has selectable two wheel drive (drives the hack wheel), and best of all reverse.

Since I'm kind of "old and soft", when the rains come again, I'll be back in the FWC for sure.

Have fun folks..I sure plan on it..

Attachments

• Ural1.jpg
    Ural1.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Ural2.jpg
    Ural2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 259
Looks pretty neat Bob. I'll make you a deal - you drive that thing over Cinnamon Pass with me and I'll buy the Gentleman J on the other side :D

Looks pretty neat Bob. I'll make you a deal - you drive that thing over Cinnamon Pass with me and I'll buy the Gentleman J on the other side :D

You ride in the hack, and it's a deal...

To cool. I sold my bike last year and a piece of me wants to buy another one. Once you ride it never leaves you. Looking forward to your adventures.

Mike

Aaron,
The class is in Hood River,OR. Anywhere near you?? First one's on me...

Dick,
Domino doesn't know yet, but if riding in the hack is anything like the back of the truck it won't be a problem.

Craig,
Don't know about the antenna yet, but you know there will be at least a 2meter radio on board.

Barko
Did the Ural make all of the crossings? If so I just might give it a try
after I've got a few hours on the bike..sure sounds like fun.

Very nice, DeltaRat.

Just yesterday was looking at two of those parked at my local Wal*Mart. They look like a Russian copy of an older BMW. Is that what they are?

Stew

Very nice, DeltaRat.

Just yesterday was looking at two of those parked at my local Wal*Mart. They look like a Russian copy of an older BMW. Is that what they are?

Stew

That's exactly what they are...they're a knock off of the old BMW R-71. Russia started making them right after WW II. They are the ubiquitous motorcycle in Russia, and the Russian military used them for years (maybe still do). The new ones are 750 cc and just over 40 HP..not exactly a crotch rocket, but will cruise all day at 65..much over that and you're stretching it. Ural only started importing them to the US about 10 years ago and have made fantastic gains in reliability over the last 4~5 years. Kind of like what Hyundai has done over the last decade.

The antique look is what attracted me to them, plus there's no computer controlled electronics on board. If it breaks down I don't need to hook a laptop to it to read codes. Break out a simple multimeter and some hand tools and you can fix it along side the road..try that with a modern Japanese bike. It's old technology except for modern amenities like electric start, disk brakes, Japanese carbs, 12 volt system with a 40 amp alternator, electronic ignition, etc.

When finished, mine will be decked out in Wermacht markings, and I even have a replica MG-34 and mount for it. Should be a hoot..

Just pulled the FWC off the truck and covered her up for a while.

While at Overland Expo, I had a chance to see a new Ural "Gear Up" with a sidecar. Absolutely fell in love, and yesterday puled the trigger on a new 2010 Ural, a modern day antique. It's also the "Gear Up" model done up in camo... I quit riding bikes about 30 years ago after a major accident. Thought I'd never ride again, and along comes the Ural and I'm smitten. Must have a screw loose, but what the hell, I only live once.

Have signed up for a 3 day sidecar class in Oregon June 11,12 13 as there's none in CA. Looks like most of the summer will be spent on the bike. Oh, it has selectable two wheel drive (drives the hack wheel), and best of all reverse.

Since I'm kind of "old and soft", when the rains come again, I'll be back in the FWC for sure.

Have fun folks..I sure plan on it..

Good for you signing up for a class. Have you ridden a side car before? Not at all like any thing else. When you get it go slowly to an open parking lot get up to 30 or so and try full brake you WILL pull hard to the left (on coming traffic on the street). I am 60 this year and have rode motorcycle all my life (ST1300 current) Has an uncle who rode hacks everywhere. My brother (expert flattracker) got a hack and died hitting the brakes and going into traffic. Learn how to ride that thing and be careful.

Bill

Aaron,
The class is in Hood River,OR. Anywhere near you?? First one's on me...

Thats a few hours away. Nice spot though you should enjoy your trip there.

Good for you signing up for a class. Have you ridden a side car before? Not at all like any thing else. When you get it go slowly to an open parking lot get up to 30 or so and try full brake you WILL pull hard to the left (on coming traffic on the street). I am 60 this year and have rode motorcycle all my life (ST1300 current) Has an uncle who rode hacks everywhere. My brother (expert flattracker) got a hack and died hitting the brakes and going into traffic. Learn how to ride that thing and be careful.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the sage advice. Very sorry about your brother. I'm older than you by several years, but never too old to learn a few new tricks. I've never ridden a hack, but took all my friends advice and signed up for the class.

I'm an old pilot who still flies often. You don't get old flying airplanes by being bold or stupid. I'll take the same attitude on the bike. I'll just have to watch out for the "blue hairs" driving Buicks...that's what almost killed me last time..

Sweet looking ride, Bob. I'm also looking forward to those trip reports.

and I even have a replica MG-34 and mount for it

Maybe you can adapt the MG-34 to a snorkle for those water crossings. :LOL:

I don't think they had any trouble, they don't fall over :D Different trip but you get the idea
861182003_6Qok2-M.jpg

WOW!!! A motorcycle with a LOCKER!!! :cool:

I like it a lot!!!

I have ridden my whole life starting in 1959 with a Harley Hummer. I have never ridden a side car though. But I have heard they are a whole different ball game. You are very wise to take the class. I sure would.

That thing is going to be so much fun!!! I haven't ridden any street bikes for a few years now as it hurts my back. My lighter dirt bike doesn't seem to bother it though.

Hmmmm.....Maybe I should Google Ural for my nearest Dealer!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom