Shell Camping

Food for thought: My .02 worth.

Where you go to camp affects your choices. Comfort level camping affects your choices. Family size affects your choices. Oh, yeah, bank account affects your choices. So...

We do not spend much time in the camper at campsites where water is easily available. I don't like fooling around with water containers and would rather the camper have on board water as a result. You can probably figure out a way to get water on board in a shell in a easy to handle manner, but I definitely like filling up the tank and having access to water inside and outside without lugging a container around to do it.

The Fantastic Fan is a no brainer. A good argument can be made for two vents in a Panther as well. No need for two fans, but the extra vent might give a better comfort level overall.

Furnaces can be avoided with portable heaters, but furnaces are convenient. Turn them on and let the thermostat do the job. The propane tank that comes with the furnace install means one less thing to mess with while camping when compared with the small propane bottles for portable heaters.It also means you have a propane supply for other uses, as pointed out above.

I like 3 way reefers because you can run on propane and save battery power, important if you are going to be stationary for a while. Lots of folks like their Engles and they sound like very efficient refrigerators. They do draw power, however. If you don't have to worry about battery life for extended stays, you can certainly take care of the cooling of food and drink with an Engle or similar. You could also address the problem with a photovoltaic install. More dollars, but it's only money.

I like the on board battery in the camper. It supplies plenty of power for most stays if you are wise in using power. Plus, if you screw up and let the battery get too low, the truck will still have power to start with.

We use plastic containers to organize what we take (currently a work in progress) as they allow you to latch on to what you need easily. Well, that is our hope when we get everything figured out and labeled....

4 corner mechanical jacks are the best bet. Loading a camper in a wind using 2 cable jacks teaches you that supporting four corners is a good thing. Take them off and you are good to go. Takes about 1/2 hour. Ask Marty. He knows.

Wrapping it up, we made choices because we don't want to use the camper to visit camps with amenities, including water availability. Off road and primitive sites, possible 2 - 3 day stays, possible cold (not cool) evenings, ability to cook in or out, and attempting to cut the necessary stuff to set up and camp with were our priorities.

Most important, go out and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Lots of good insight above, I will try to give mine, I am a professional photographer, my needs are very specific…

When I contacted Marty and Jeff about creating the solution to my long term project, I actually thought about a shell for fiscal and customization reasons. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that these guys really know what they are doing and I liked the layout of the tools and amenities they had to offer, so we built a great camper. Besides, I just did not have the time to do what ATC did so well.

I need everything self contained, I have to be able to move very quickly and without having a bunch of stuff outside to track down. This is not so much about comfort and fun as it is professionalism and safety. If the panels would have weighed less, I would have put up to 200 watts on the roof, but the 85 watt is actually doing really well. I have now used everything I have on my Bobcat and will continue to do so, nothing was a less than ideal decision.

The list of what I have had done or have done my self is as follows:

ATC Bobcat, 2009
4 mechanical jacks
Furnace
3 way fridge
2-burner stove
15 gallon water
5 gallon propane
4-36 LED overhead lights in place of standard bulbs
115 volt plug relocation for Tacoma system already in truck bed
110 conversion with breaker box
85 watt solar system
Roof rack, shower curtain rod installed on it
Fantastic fan
Secondary battery in box outside of storage for more storage, place for another battery.
Front sliding window
Screen door
Two rear steps to access roof
Custom jerry can mount on rear
Front fairing with light storage
D-rings on ceiling, window sill and under couch for cargo net for storage and clothes drying in cold weather ( just did this tonight )
Stowmate pouches on walls and behind sink

To come:

Arctic Cold Weather pack
Outside air temp gauge
Revised table top made of aluminum that mounts to roof rack to double as a viewing / photography platform
Secondary gray water drain to inside for super cold temps

So far, this system is working great for me. The most people I will have is two, either a writer while on the road or my girlfriend, so two people at most, most of the time just me. One of the main goals of this system is not just to be in one remote spot for a few days, but up to 10. Truly brilliant imagery takes time, you can't just visit, you have to live it and stay there for awhile. You have to be cold, hot, tired, hungry and even scared, that is life, the real one.

The ATC Bobcat on my 05 Tacoma is helping to mitigate all of the above to tolerable levels and it does that very, very well.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Net.jpg
    Net.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 298
Deltarat, on 26 September 2009 - 08:30 PM, said:

Call me old and soft

If you insist.....

Too funny. Gotta be careful about you say around here. Deltarat was due for a moniker anyway.

A built in heater, or maybe a portable? Why use the space for something that will not be used all the time. Also no need for such a large propane tank (if you had a AC/DC refrigerator).

the propane used by a gas fridge is so minimal its as though it uses almost none.

Back
Top Bottom