Short term internet access for camping travels

Old Crow

Searching....
We don't have a smartphone but like to have access to the internet for email, weather reports, news, reservations, policies, etc. when we travel. We make and receive so few telephone calls that it didn't seem to make sense to get a smartphone (not to mention one for each of us). So we do Tracfones for voice and an iPad with pre-paid (and temporary) access to the cell phone system for our internet access.

Let me apologize in advance if the following info is old news to many but I'm thinking it may be helpful to readers who may not be familiar with how this works.

One of the features I like about my iPad (iPad2 w Verizon cellular connection) is that I can pay for the cellular connection a month (or a day) at a time and then just revert back to wi-fi-only use after my return home.

Just before departure (or when I first want to use the iPad) I buy a 30-day increment, usually 2 or 4 GB. That automatically signs me up for auto-renew a month later. However, I can 'cancel' at any time during that month and the remainder of my time and data capacity will still be there until the end of the 30 day period (or use of the capacity). Note that the word 'cancel' in this case doesn't mean "cut off my cellular connection" but rather "cut off automatic purchase of another 30-day increment".

I always cancel because the iPad will tell me when I've run out of capacity or my time is up. I can then decide how much additional capacity to buy, if any, according to my plans at that time. In practice, I keep an eye on capacity by logging on to my account occasionally. That helps me see what my usage pattern is and decide how much to buy next time.

Current prices are 300MB for a day for $5 (and that one doesn't auto-renew), 1 GB for $20, 2 GB for $30, 4 GB for $40, 6 GB for $50, 10 GB for $80. There were no taxes or other fees added on. When I bought 4 GB, for example, my credit card was charged $40.

Note that the prices tend to encourage you to buy up to get more capacity for your dollar. On the other hand, it's a use-it-or-lose it deal. That data capacity does not roll over. Regardless of how little of it you've used, the remainder is zeroed out at the end of the 30 days.

Verizon assigns an account and a phone number to the iPad and warns that your account will expire after five months of non-use. I assume that just means you'd have to set up a new account if you exceed that. In our case, the longest we've gone between purchases is about four months.

Mistakes I've made include: (1) Forgot to cancel the first time I tried it and was auto-renewed a week after I returned home (2) bought capacity just before heading out on a trip to an area with very poor Verizon coverage.

-OC

PS- Please note that this is how my iPad2/Verizon has worked for me as recently as April, 2015. I worry that over time Apple or Verizon has or will change policies and I will have misled you. I'm also not sure this is how it works for all iPads nor for other carriers.

Sounds like you have your needs covered.
We have a smartphone for calls/internet use,but also have an Ipad mini for the times we want a bigger screen
for info like weather or maps,and to get books to read.
Most of the time it's a quick check on the iphone that's all that's needed.
Really don't do much calling/surfing while out.But it has come in handy except where there isn't coverage.

Don't know if it would save you any money,but if you had an iphone plus the wifi of the ipad,you could set up a "hot spot" on the phone and connect it to the ipad.
This worked well for my daughter last year while we were visiting her in Spain.
We were staying at a farm house and it didn't have wifi but she could get good reception with her phone so she used it as a "hot spot"so she could do some work on her laptop
Frank

i have what is probably a stupid question, but i,m old and not tech savvy. what would be the best route for internet access with a laptop on a campout? we have pre-paid phones(flip phones--at that). we only use the phones for emergencies(again, we're old fogies).we would like to have the internet for info,e-mails , face book,and such. sometimes just to pass the time when one of us is sleeping and one is up. sometimes a dvd isn't enough. we only camp a couple times a year now due to health and we aren't as active as we once were, so there tends to be a lot of down time.

thanks, wes

Wes, we use a Verizon mobile hotspot when away from home. We have good bandwidth and coverage in most areas. It makes sense for us, since it's used every month. We're on a 2GB plan, but sometimes bump it up if we're doing a lot of photo work.

snuffy said:
ok i have a dumb question, how do you use a i phone as a hot spot?
You have to have a phone that has that ability, and with Verizon (at least) you have to pay extra (monthly) for the ability.
The owners manual (look online if you don't have the manual) should mention it if your phone can do this.

Long, long ago -- maybe 15 years ago -- I had a regular non-smartphone that could provide an Internet connection for a laptop. It did this via wired connection (I think it was a propriety cable -- pre-US:cool:, not WiFi. I remember connecting to the Internet while at Hart Mt. NWR back in the day...
I'm not sure if this is common or if it's available at all now on non-smartphones...but it used to be.

MarkBC said:
You have to have a phone that has that ability, and with Verizon (at least) you have to pay extra (monthly) for the ability.
The owners manual (look online if you don't have the manual) should mention it if your phone can do this.
Our recently new iphone Verizon contract includes the hotspot capability at no extra charge.

takesiteasy said:
Our recently new iphone Verizon contract includes the hotspot capability at no extra charge.
Yeah...they have different deals and change what they charge for periodically...though usually it's not to the benefit of the customer.
On my previous VZW phone they offered a "4 GB of data for the price of 2 GB" limited-time deal for hotspot. So I took that. (Hotspot data was just added into the pool of monthly phone data, not separate.) Surprisingly that deal has been grandfathered into my service and transferred to my new phone, which I never expected. "Grandfathering" of services in a contract is a wonderful thing! :)

Relevant to this thread: It's very rare that I use more than a small fraction of my monthly 6 GB of data -- I'm on home WiFi whenever home. But when I'm out on a trip and tether/hotspot my laptop to my phone I use a lot more.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Has anyone activated the FM radio chip in their smart phone?
I keep hearing advertisements for "free FM radio on your smartphone"?
Frank
I have tried to but none of the 3 phones in the household have the chip turned on. That is evidently up to the manufacturer or service provider, and few U.S. providers activate it unless we pay for it. There's a movement afoot to require the chip to be activated. Read more at http://freeradioonmyphone.org.

Thanks. I have read that site but haven't checked with Verzion yet to see if they will activate it.
I have an iphone 4s so I don't even know if it has the chip or not.
The idea sounds like a good one though.
Frank

As for internet access when traveling, that really gets my blood boiling. It is frustrating, inconvenient and potentially dangerous to lose contact. But corporate greed has dictated that communications need to be complicated, redundant, expensive and frequently updated. The industry is a hodgepodge of changing technologies, deceptive marketing, cutthroat practices and consumer lawsuits. No surprise that telephone and mobile services are near the top of consumer complaints behind only identity theft, debt collectors and imposter scams.

Internet service varies widely depending on the specific devices and providers. Over the years we have tried every major carrier and several resellers, and they all suck. If you have found something that works for you, great. But I can't count the times we have driven by a cell tower and had no coverage because we didn't have that provider, the device was on a different system, or some data limit was exceeded. There is no true pay-as-you-go option that works everywhere, and few plans include a useful amount of data roaming. Unless we buy a top-tier package on contract from a major network chances are that we will be without coverage for much of the time.

Rather than pay a major provider more than I would like, I just use a Republic Wireless Wi-Fi phone that defaults to Sprint when there is no Wi-Fi. At only $25 (3G) to $40 (4G) per month I'm willing to wait until I have Wi-Fi for most internet stuff.

I'm reminded of our trip across Nevada on Hwy 50 in the winter a couple of years ago. I had signed up with Sprint for a hotspot on my phone to use for internet access. Halfway across Nevada there were potential winter weather issues that I wanted to be able to research while we traveled. Of course there was no cell service and so no hot spot. I was disappointed. When we got home I called Sprint to complain and request a refund of the hotspot charges. The nice lady respectfully requested where we were trying to use the service so she could verify that there wasn't coverage. She said she couldn't refund the charges if there was cell service in the area. I told her where we were and she left me on hold for a bit. When she came back she said: "Boy you are right! there is zero service out there!" Haha. We got a refund.

takesiteasy said:
I'm reminded of our trip across Nevada on Hwy 50 in the winter a couple of years ago. I had signed up with Sprint for a hotspot on my phone to use for internet access. Halfway across Nevada there were potential winter weather issues that I wanted to be able to research while we traveled. Of course there was no cell service and so no hot spot. I was disappointed. When we got home I called Sprint to complain and request a refund of the hotspot charges. The nice lady respectfully requested where we were trying to use the service so she could verify that there wasn't coverage. She said she couldn't refund the charges if there was cell service in the area. I told her where we were and she left me on hold for a bit. When she came back she said: "Boy you are right! there is zero service out there!" Haha. We got a refund.
I had Sprint years ago and currently have a Sprint-enabled phone. Sprint definitely lacks in coverage compared to the big two. The saving grace is that the phone is compatible with Verizon's system so roaming works. However, data limits on roaming are low with no option to buy more so I have to be careful with internet use. A useful Android app called appropriately Wander helps manage data hungry apps. Our Ram has hot spot capability but it is Sprint without roaming which is fairly useless in rural areas. As noted here by many users Verizon is currently the best choice for backcountry coverage.

Of course, the telecom industry is constantly changing so what works best today may not be true tomorrow. The one constant is that they want our money and will do anything to get it. There was recent news of a "colossal cannibal great white shark" that ate smaller great white sharks. The corporate world is like that, too, and although I do not intend to slam one company over another--I pity Comcast customers, though--I think it is safe to say that the entire industry is a mess.

After AT&T's blocked attempt to gobble up--I mean acquire--T-Mobile in 2011, Verizon is now trying to buy AOL. AOL is a shadow of its former self in connecting people to the internet (unless you still use dialup) but is still a major player in digital media. It owns popular websites such as the Huffington Post, Engadget and TechCrunch. Verizon has strongly opposed net neutrality to the point of forbidding that the topic be mentioned on its "news" sites. Probably not a good idea for it to swallow--I mean purchase--a major media company.

Remember what the Topic is here, folks: "Short term internet access for camping travels".

Feel free to start a new Topic in an appropriate sub-forum on divergent issues.

- MarkBC for the WTW Site Team

Back
Top Bottom