Shurflo Water Pump Failure?

David_h

Advanced Member
It seems that my Shurflow water pump is not pumping water. While at Sunset State Beach, Monterey Bay, this weekend, when the power switch on the panel was turned on the pump would make a humming noise, even without opening the faucet. No water came out of the faucet when opened. The noise seemed to be slightly quieter than the normal sound made by a properly functioning pump. Does this seem like a candidate for a rebuild kit, or just replace it with a new unit? Its a 2006 Hawk with a Shurflo 2088-403-144.
Thanks
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA

Check the screen in the faucet outlet. I've had mine plug up with crud off the anode rod in the heater.

Check the screen in the faucet outlet. I've had mine plug up with crud off the anode rod in the heater.

Good idea; I'll check it. I did check the filter located near the pump and it was very clean with only a few grains of sand. I did not confirm, but I assume the filter is upstream of the pump.

Good idea; I'll check it. I did check the filter located near the pump and it was very clean with only a few grains of sand. I did not confirm, but I assume the filter is upstream of the pump.

I spoke to the tech support at Shurflo and they confirmed that the always-on is a sign of diaphragm failure. And since my 2006 pump model number is discontinued, they gave me the new pump number which is a direct replacement; and I found one on Amazon.com.
Thanks,
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA

I had this happen but, it was a connection issue. The pump sucks air easier than water. Mine continued to run as well.
You can search on my pump issue from last August and read what others said to me.
Bryan

I had this happen but, it was a connection issue. The pump sucks air easier than water. Mine continued to run as well.
You can search on my pump issue from last August and read what others said to me.
Bryan

Well the new pump already arrived and after 30 minutes it was installed and all works well. Due to the way the threads were cut on the inlet side of the pump, the filter screen is now oriented at 2:00 position. Means I'll have to capture more spillage when I remove it for inspection/cleaning.

I think I'll take a closer look at the old pump that I removed just to confirm that the diaphragm has failed. The replacement pump is an updated part number and is still rated at 2.8 gpm. It really puts out a lot of water. I note in the Shurflo literature that there is a "whisper King" model rated at 2.0 gpm. That might be a good option to explore for quieter operation (next time for me).
Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
06 Hawk, 05 F150

Back
Top Bottom