Side dinette vs rear dinette vs ?

Jzack605

Advanced Member
I’ve been brainstorming what type of interior table and seating I want to set up in my hawk shell and torn between rear, side or some other combo. I would like to retain the window view, foldable seating and a table that is stowable in some way. What variation do you all like? Images of your set up?

Have you looked at Camper Builds? Lots of great builds there. I bought a 2013 shell after having a 2001 Hawk for a few years that I changed from a pull-out couch to a side dinette. The 2013 shell did have a rare front table and seats. After visiting FWC in Woodland and standing in both front and side dinettes the side dinette was how we wanted to go. But build what works for you. You will find lots of good information on WTW. Please post lots of pictures of your build. My build.

Bill

Our 2009 ATC Bobcat was built with the "new idea" side dinette.
We really enjoy it. Allows more work room then the roll over couch.
It has just the standard table that lays down to make a sleeping area,
small but OK for a child or small adult.
Frank

The front dinette puts the seat backs against the window, blocking the view. However, the windows are below shoulder level anyway, so you have to move to see them. We got the side dinette so we could fit a bike inside, and be able to see out the windows. I'm not sure we'll use the bike inside all that often though. At first we did, but we aren't bringing bikes very often any more.

Sitting at my side dinette drinking coffee and staring at the lake as I write this. 34*F outside 68* inside. Wife still in bed. I love the space of the side dinette configuration. With the bed pulled out to a king I can sit at the table with my feet up and a nice backrest. Couldn’t do that with a roll over. We often play cards at our set up with Four people comfortably. When one of our kids joins us they fold the table down and it’s a great bed. Plenty of room for one person to sit while other is making food.

I got the side dinette. I love to flip over the seat and lounge with my back to the front side of the camper. And while the window is low, you can get a decent view...especially if you slouch a bit :) Room to store stuff underneath too.

We went with the front dinette. But we seldom spend any time hanging out in the camper. So, during severe inclement weather, for occasional eating (we do all our cooking outside) and playing scrabble before bed, the front dinette works very well. Stows away quickly and easily. Good storage beneath the two seats and beneath our feet.

ramblinChet said:
Have you considered a more formal "temporary" dinette set up?

The reason I purchased a shell is because of the flexibility it offers. There have been times where I have easily had four or five persons inside at the same time and everyone was comfortable. A few of those times have included other FWC owners with dinettes who stated, "it would just be easier for us to eat in here," in my camper.

My ultimate goal is to discover a system where I have a series of small parts that take up very little room. These same parts can be quickly and easily transformed into a table or other useful area.
Yeah I do prefer this. Not sure yet how to do it. A foldable table that stands on floor? Chairs? Let me know what you come up with!

ramblinChet said:
Have you considered a more formal "temporary" dinette set up?

The reason I purchased a shell is because of the flexibility it offers. There have been times where I have easily had four or five persons inside at the same time and everyone was comfortable. A few of those times have included other FWC owners with dinettes who stated, "it would just be easier for us to eat in here," in my camper.

My ultimate goal is to discover a system where I have a series of small parts that take up very little room. These same parts can be quickly and easily transformed into a table or other useful area.
Same with us.. we built a big bench across the front of the camper (big ole storage box as well) and basically have seating on all 3 sides. Can sit 5 or 6 around removable table. Also made a slide out lower bunk for an extra space to sleep when needed. People are always shocked how big our camper feels because its not so full.. (we did add furnace, and 2 burner cook top but decided against a sink and water tank)

Using a lagun swinging table, mounted to the side of the floor pack allows me to work and eat from the table and allows one other person to sit on the opposite side of the table as well. The beauty of it all is the mount can be swung back into place in the table can be put away if more room is desired.

I like the "temporary" table option a lot. But if getting a dinette, the only real way to decide is to spend some quality time in one. Perhaps there's someone in your area who can show you their setup. We are so glad we sat in some at a dealer, and were able to compare them.

Looks like I’m going with the Lagun swinging table. I’m definitely leaning more toward a side dinette as I think it’ll work best for my needs. What kind of storable/folding chairs do you all recommend?

Jzack605 said:
What kind of storable/folding chairs do you all recommend?
How light do you want to travel? If space/weight are a major concern (likely should be for all of us!) then chairs you can use inside and outside might be ideal.

Jzack605 said:
I like the idea of separate chairs like that, definitely a possibility.

I really like the set up found here at 2:30-3:00 : https://youtu.be/2Ie00stGf8g?si=5fAYMM46IRNnPozE

Could anyone direct me to the proper brackets to build seating like those?
Those are the brackets that came with their rollover couch. You can get them from ATC/FWC. My "chairs" are similar in function. I used these bonVIVO Easy II Padded Floor Chair with Adjustable Backrest, Comfortable, Semi-Foldable Folding Chair, for Meditation, Stadium, Bleachers, Reading, Bed, Couch or Gaming, Elegant Design, Beige : Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care
Note: Canadian pricing!!

The table they are using is a Lagun Table.

Vic Harder said:
Those are the brackets that came with their rollover couch. You can get them from ATC/FWC. My "chairs" are similar in function. I used these bonVIVO Easy II Padded Floor Chair with Adjustable Backrest, Comfortable, Semi-Foldable Folding Chair, for Meditation, Stadium, Bleachers, Reading, Bed, Couch or Gaming, Elegant Design, Beige : Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care
Note: Canadian pricing!!

The table they are using is a Lagun Table.
Those are cool chairs Vic. If I did not have our posterior and back needs covered already, I would seriously look at them for our use. My wife would appreciate the meditation aspect, though it is probably too late for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom