Siding replacement

Mark G

After 20 years of use, the frame in the front wall has broken some welds. My plan is to install angle brackets at the damaged welds and then sheet the wall with a single piece of 16ga. aluminum screwed to all the framing members. Any comments or suggestions?

If you replace with new aluminum skin, get marine grade(corrosion resistant), I believe it is 6061 grade. use zinc chromate primer with a compatible 2 part top coat. Predrill all holes if possible before painting.

highly recommend stripping it and finding someone to weld it. Can't say I've tried angle brackets, but if you strip it, it's a very short and fast job to weld those pieces if it's the ones below the window.

Mine has brackets riveted in place on the front wall. I reached out to FWC and they said they wouldn't recommend that although they didn't provide a reason. I suspect angle brackets will allow more flex than you want. If you did angle brackets combined with T-brackets you'd be better off. Then again 16 gauge aluminum would provide some of that "shear" protection that T-brackets would.

It seems to have held up ok on my camper but I've only had it for a year and I'm not sure how long that repair has been operating for.

FWC also mentioned that only one side of the frame was welded on the older campers and they now weld on both sides of the frame. My plan is to weld inside and out to stiffen up the frame a bit. You want the load to flex the frame rails not a weld.

I just repaired my rear wall two weeks ago including replacing some frame members. Link to my thread:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/20512-fwc-ranger-ii-frame-repair-and-continued-build-thread-maybe/

Beach said:
If you replace with new aluminum skin, get marine grade(corrosion resistant), I believe it is 6061 grade. use zinc chromate primer with a compatible 2 part top coat. Predrill all holes if possible before painting.
The skin is available pre painted, there is also an rv repair shop on hemet ca that custom makes the panels in smooth and textured finish

oldhotrod said:
The skin is available pre painted, there is also an rv repair shop on hemet ca that custom makes the panels in smooth and textured finish
Interesting, where do you get the skins from? FWC informed me that my skin was discontinued.

Back
Top Bottom