Sierra Valley

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We are learning the fine art of weekenders! We did a nice relaxing get-a-way to Sierra Valley last weekend with virtually no planning. Friday night I suggested we had an open weekend and the weather was mellow. We enjoyed our Saturday morning coffee in bed, reading our laptops until 8.30am, but had the Hawk mounted and were rolling by 10.30am. Since our destination was less than two hours away, we were in vacation mode quickly.

We have gotten into birding, as many photos posted here will attest. It's a good mix with Susan's love of nature and my photography. We enjoy visiting Sierra Valley for it's rich population of raptors and migratory birds. The big views of this largely unspoiled valley are special. It's considered the largest fresh water swamp in the Sierra. Usually we fit in some soak time at Sierra Hot Springs to round out the trip. :)

This time we brought bikes, but cold blustery weather kept us truck-mounted as we toured our favorite roads. I hoped to see Sandhill Cranes, but we were early and saw only one from a distance. Also absent were the Ibis that are often numerous in the wetlands near Dyson Lane.
We did see quite a few Canadian Geese.

A few photos:

We stayed at Sierra Hot Springs in the almost empty campground. A three hour soak is only $15, but for $55 two people can camp and have 24 hr. use of the springs. We used our bikes to tool around the site. We visited the Lodge and trying the Phoenix Baths, which were nice and private, but not hot enough for us. We continued to the main pools for sunset views off the large deck (no cameras allowed!)and alternate soaks in the hot pool and cold plunge. The showers and locker room do make up for this not being a wild spring setting.

It was predicted to get down to 16F, but my indoor/outdoor thermometer ultimately recorded a low of 13F. Even with our Wave 3 on low, and reflectix insulation installed, it got down to 32F inside the camper. I switched the factory furnace on and we went back up to 58F inside. :)

The morning was quiet as we took our coffees with us to the Mediation Pools. These springs near the camp are quasi-natural with a sand bottom and boulder walls. Temp is warm, but if you sit where the hot water comes in it's nice. We savored the morning light, watching the woodpeckers fly from pine to pine. A small stand of aspens or birch with silvery bark add to the scene.

After an omlette (avo/mushroom/cheddar), we felt ready to break camp. But we still had more time to soak! Oh yeah, have I mentioned our hydro-theraphy needs?? :p We hit the hot pool, floated on foam noodles in the outdoor warm pool, and got showers before heading out.

On the way back, we tried some mountain biking near Hobart Mills, but the trail was mostly snow and the dirt roads were mud-fests, so we didn't ride for long. With practice, I'm getting better at hanging the bikes off the fork mounts I attached to the rear of the Hawk.

Got home at 6.15pm and camper was off the truck inside the garage (before the predicted snowfall today), by 6.45pm.

Bottom line: Major de-stress weekend with no reservations or planning. Priceless!

<snip>...... have I mentioned our hydro-theraphy needs?? :p
<snip>

Bottom line: Major de-stress weekend with no reservations or planning. Priceless!

Great getaway with the essential elements covered! Good for you two and thanks for the report!

Back in my old haunts, eh, Lighthawk? Love the raptor photos!

Oh yeah, Stew. :) We try visit Sierra Valley as often as we can. I'm hoping to get back in the spring and see if I can locate some Sandhill Cranes.

Here's a photo from May 29, 2010
Check out this Northern Harrier dive bombing a pair of Sandhills. We've talked about this and can't decide if the cranes were intruding on the harrier nesting site or visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom