Sissor stair steps

The Saints

I am going to buy some collapsable or sissors stairs for the camper. Too many times have Valerie or I had something in our hands and had it rough climbing out of the camper, especially with her short little legs.
So the question is this, what kind? Has anybody had any good luck with a certain brand or type? Three stairs or four? (I guess that is my own decision though). I though the dog might like it a bit better than me always picking her up to get in or out too.
thanks

I am going to buy some collapsable or sissors stairs for the camper. Too many times have Valerie or I had something in our hands and had it rough climbing out of the camper, especially with her short little legs.
So the question is this, what kind? Has anybody had any good luck with a certain brand or type? Three stairs or four? (I guess that is my own decision though). I though the dog might like it a bit better than me always picking her up to get in or out too.
thanks

If you have a receiver this is an option, an extender with a step. Since this picture I bolted on a much bigger "step" and covered it with a rubber grippy surface. The truck is lifted so that 1st step is a bit high but it is nice having a bigger platform and the dogs love it.
Before
477460549_SvErA-M.jpg

After
913289372_oAaSy-M.jpg

913289091_EP8JW-M.jpg

thanks

Hi Saints,

I have the TorkLift aluminum steps. They are built well. Here is the link to determine how many steps you need.

http://www.torklift....w_page=glowstep

TorkLift deffinately look like the ones I want. I have seen them before on this web site and now I just have to find a dealer to get them from. I will need 4 steps and the cool thing is, when I upgrade and buy a different truck I will be able to add a step if needed.

Can someone put up a picture of where the step store when up on a Hawk? I like the concept but they may cover my plate when up. How do they work if the ground is not level?

Thanks, Bill

Bill,
As far as I know, you just take them off and store them inside the camper by the door. They weigh very little and seem easy to move around. On level ground, I have no clue. They are probably fine just a little off, not bad enough to worry about I imagine.

Bill,
As far as I know, you just take them off and store them inside the camper by the door. They weigh very little and seem easy to move around. On level ground, I have no clue. They are probably fine just a little off, not bad enough to worry about I imagine.

Yes, I store mine just inside the door on the floor mat. They are the first thing I remove setting up camp, and among the last I stow when breaking camp.

On mildly uneven ground, they work fine, although you may feel a slight shift when you put your weight on the bottom step. But, they won't collapse or anything. Once, I was forced to put a small log under one side when I had reached the full extension of the steps on a slope after having leveled the truck on some rocks. In a case like that, any ground supported steps would have had problems, and only the hitch receiver steps would avoid them.

We use a small two step stool to enter and exit our camper. Sometimes it is a long first step after leveling the camper, so the scissor steps have interested me as well. Problem is I also use the step stool to go around the camper and tuck in the canvas, raise and lower the window shades, etc. For those of you with the scissor stepps, do you also carry something seperate for these other tasks?

Problem is I also use the step stool to go around the camper and tuck in the canvas, raise and lower the window shades, etc. For those of you with the scissor stepps, do you also carry something seperate for these other tasks?

I collapse the steps and turn them sideways, with the steps vertical, and the wide side on the ground to use them as a single short step. The steps do not unfold, thanks to friction and a latch. This is enough for me to reach the corners to tuck them in, and I am short (but so is my truck/camper
wink.gif
). I have the inside shades, and don't have to worry about rolling them down, so I don't know if my method would work for you.

Yes, I store mine just inside the door on the floor mat. They are the first thing I remove setting up camp, and among the last I stow when breaking camp.

On mildly uneven ground, they work fine, although you may feel a slight shift when you put your weight on the bottom step. But, they won't collapse or anything. Once, I was forced to put a small log under one side when I had reached the full extension of the steps on a slope after having leveled the truck on some rocks. In a case like that, any ground supported steps would have had problems, and only the hitch receiver steps would avoid them.

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the next set off scissors I see. I just built receiver steps (pics on another thread did not want to hijack) but will still have to carry my small step ladder as I am just a little short to do the tuck and latch.

Bill

Highz,
that is a great idea for using the steps on their side, I was just planning on carrying my step stool. I will have to check out your method before my next trip, after i buy the steps that is.

I carry both step stool and steps (when I use the steps). I tend to travel light so I have room. Stool fits under the dinette, scissor steps ride just inside the door. The stool is for the side windows. I can raise and lower the flaps without taking the scissor steps off and the stool is IMHO steadier than the scissors on their side. Just my $.02 worth.
The scissor steps are great!

I am going to sell mine if you are interested I don't need them anymore.$100 no mount but the mount is around $25.00

Attachments

• steps 00000 (Small).JPG
    steps 00000 (Small).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 211
Thought I might share what I have ended up using for a step. Found a folding motorcycle stand for our dirtbikes and it works real well as our step into the camper. It is very light, folds flat, easy to open with one hand, supports up to 550lbs and allows access to the storm windows and makes a nice extra seat around the campfire if necessary. Cost is around $80. Here is a link to it online: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/200/25181/ITEM/Polisport-Folding-Bike-Stand.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_25181&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=25181

Steve

Attachments

• IMG00021-20100629-0758.jpg
    IMG00021-20100629-0758.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG00022-20100629-0759.jpg
    IMG00022-20100629-0759.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG00020-20100629-0758.jpg
    IMG00020-20100629-0758.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 182
Thought I might share what I have ended up using for a step. Found a folding motorcycle stand for our dirtbikes and it works real well as our step into the camper. It is very light, folds flat, easy to open with one hand, supports up to 550lbs and allows access to the storm windows and makes a nice extra seat around the campfire if necessary. Cost is around $80. Here is a link to it online: http://www.motorcycl...c=45&zmap=25181

Steve

You can also get a cheaper folding step provided you don't need the 550lbs. capacity:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-steps/folding-step-stools.htm

The EZ Fold steps work great. Even with my fat ass jumping out of the camper onto them they hold up just great. Check em out !

I carry a small aluminum 3 step ladder. Works OK but is too short. That last step into the camper can be a real stretch at times!!! I have been looking at the scissor steps too, 5 step for 42".

As for tucking in the side canvas I carry a lightweight extension pole used for dragging stuff in/out of your pickup bed.

I also carry one of these in my home built basement (needed extra clearance for the Ford box anyway). I got it off Ebay for $100 bucks. No real need for it yet until I get my canoe rack built!!! :)

My 08 Hawk came with a nice folding, three-step aluminum ladder. It's sturdy and the treads are wide. Not sure of brand, but could find out. Problem is where to store it, since my labrador rides in the camper while on the road. I strapped the ladder on the settee, but that was kind of lame. What with mud on the steps, the awkwardness of lifting it in and out, plus having to jump out after-wards made me think there's a better way.

My Hawk came with foot-rungs (?) bolted on the exterior of the back wall. My folded ladder lays almost perfectly against the siding and is supported by the rung. I fabricated a piece of aluminum bar stock that holds the ladder perfectly tight and is even lockable, since I drilled it for a padlock. Added a couple of strips of industrial felt to the ladder and did some minor grinding to make it lay perfectly flat and voila! My ladder is mounted to the rear of the camper and does not move at all. I've done a test drive of 750 miles, with at least a third on dirt, including some tough 4WD and the ladder did not scratch or move at all. If anyone's interested, I'll take a photo and upload.

Now, my next project is a dog ramp for my older lab, Sadie. I notice there are 5/8" x 10" x 72" spaces between the camper plywood runner and the truck bed, with more space between the corrugations on the bed. I'm thinking I could make a slide out ramp of thin stock (3/8" masonite??) and reinforce it where there is room between the corrugations. If it's too flexy, I might let it sag onto the ladder which would be directly beneath it. Cover the top with a thin rubber runner material and my dog can get in and out without me lifting 60# of wet/stinky dog every time. She's almost thirteen so don't ask her to jump! I'm getting old enough that my back doesn't want to do the lifting either : )

Andy

I bought one of these. http://www.ottostep.com/buy.html It lays flat and fits perfectly just inside the door on the floor. You can walk right over it/stack stuff on it and barely know it's there. The dogs love it and sit and wait until I put it on rather than trying to jump (or be lifted) into the camper

mtn

Back
Top Bottom