Skiing, Biking, and FWC Factory

Gormley Green

Contributors
I'd been in conversation with a few of you about some water damage to the rear underside plywood of my camper. Well, instead of waiting for the sun to shine here (August?) we've decided to let FWC take care of it. I just got of the phone with Terry there and he says I'm good to drop the camper off with them for a day 2nd week of April.

So, trip plans have now grown! We do tend to like longer road trips, and dislike working.

Leave here first week of April, blast down to Portland day 1.

Day 2 head for the big redwoods in NorCal, then take our time down the coast of CA en route to Woodland (3 days slowly?). Never been on Hwy 1, so any advice there would be great - places to camp etc. Obviously we want ocean views and free is nice. Best route to Woodland?

Spend a day in Sacramento after our FWC factory tour, which I'm probably more excited for than Lizzy - but I'm sure she'll have fun too. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the camper over night, so a hotel night will probably happen.

After here we head to Truckee, because it's awesome. Ski Squaw, and head to 395. This is where my ski touring the eastern sierra thread helps.

From there I was planning on taking 6 across NV out of Bishop. Thoughts? We are headed to SLC for some more spring skiing or biking, depending on weather. If I can convince her to go as far E as Moab I'd like to do that.

Then finally back to the motherland via ID and MT up 93 to visit friends in Invermere. Hot springs, more splitboard touring, etc.

This trip has become a monster. Would love any advice regarding CA, NV, UT along my planned route. Sorry for the length of this post! :D

Wow -- what an exciting route/plan!
smile.gif

You might check out takeiteasy's trip-planning thread for ideas that members posted for that region.

There is good info in the planning thread for sure. One quick suggestion I would make is to cut over to the Oregon coast at Newport and follow the coast all the way down from there rather than taking the freeway. The coast is beautiful and there are lots of nice parks to camp in, although most are not free (others may suggest some free spots). Looks like an awesome trip.

Mr.Green.Your trip sounds nice.One suggestion,IMO,101 down the Oregon coast is great.There are several places to cross over from I5.You could wait till Eugene and take the road to the coast that picks up 101 at Florance.From there south there are lots of state campgrounds and the National Sand Dunes that has camp spots.My opinion would be continue south and if you want to pick up Cal.1 you can do that at Leggett.The road is twisty for most of the 30 or so miles to the coast.Once at the coast there are some "free" beach camps before you get to Ft.Bragg.Depending on your time frame I would suggest continuing south on 1 than at the Navarro river,there is also a "free"beach campground at the river you can use,or turn inland along the river to Cloverdale than south on 101.If you have lots of time you could continue all the way south on 1,but that will add a lot of drive time and will get you into more tourist traffic.Buy that time you may be sick of all the coast driving.It is a beautiful drive though.
Somewhere south on 101 may be around Santa Rosa you can cut easterly to pick up I 80 to Sacramento.That will keep you out of most of the "city" traffic.
Hope this will help.Enjoy the trip.
Frank

Monitor Valley Nevada; Potts Hot Springs, Petroglyphs, Diana's Punchbowl, Spencers, Toquima Cave. Awesome.

Ancient Bristlecone Forest via Fish Lake Valley from the East down to Bishop. Awesome drive but I think that might be closed this time of year. 120 from Benton to Lee Vining is a really cool stretch and the western front of the White Mountains is spectacular viewing. Plus they got hot springs there too, and lots more up the road near Mammoth Lakes (Long Valley Caldera). Free camping pretty much anywhere along that entire route too.

Vic Fazio (Yolo Bypass) Wildlife Area on US80 just west of Sacramento has really cool wildlife viewing and auto tour, and it is free. Right off the highway and a great fruit stand right there too. A nice place to stop and stretch your legs.

More later.

Looks like an awesome trip!!

Rather than hiting Moab and the spring madness, there is great Mt. biking around the St. George area without the people, likely a bit warmer as well. Ski Sundance, Eagle Point, Brian head on the way down if you do lift served.
Dsrtrat

The only part of that drive I hate is going through Salt Lake City...it just seems to go on for ever.
If you dipped down to Vegas you could scoot through Death Valley and then camp in the Lone Pine area with a great view of the Alabama Hills.

Departure was put off a week due to work :oops: but we're all set to leave on Saturday. Along the ocean all the way (some of the way?) to Woodland CA, where Terry and crew shall be waiting for us (hopefully!). Looking forward to visiting the birthing grounds of the FWCs.

Nothing else has changed in the interim aside from perhaps a slightly abridged version of my ostentatious plan. Again, due to work (cough, hers). But we have a little over 2 weeks so I think we can definitely get a few things done and seen.

Should be at FWC Apr 17/18 then off to Tahoe and beyond. Anyone who's along the way or travelling in the area should come camp, ski (snowboarding would be better ;) ), bike, hike, drink beer, etc... pm me and I should get it at some point.

TR to come...

Looking forward to getting weird in the desert again, a year older than last time.
IMG_3453-M.jpg

Camper is sleeping at the factory tonight and we are staying in a hotel in Sacramento. Enjoying a shower! Factory visit was quick today due to a late afternoon arrival. Terry did a good job showing us around nonetheless! Happy to be there. It was nice to go 75 on the I5 for a few miles today to instead of the usual 57-60 I do with the camper on!!

Snow wasn't very good around Tahoe so we didn't stick around. Headed down to Mammoth area and are now in St George UT for mtn biking and hiking in Zion. Wish we could have linked up LT but it was a combo of shallow snow and very little internets! Maybe you'll have to come up our way, we have an abundance of snow!

Also FWC was beyond accommodating to us. 20 hours of work on the camper, all warranty. I couldn't believe it. As if I didn't already have enough good things to say to anyone who will listen...
They worked hard to get us back on the road ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom