Sleeping Two on the Side Dinette

rchawk

Last fall my wife and I got caught in ferocious winds in our Hawk shell on two separate occasions. We were in a completely empty campground the first time and I was able to move the truck with the top up to a more sheltered site. But later the winds clocked around and got us again for a loud sleepless night. The second time we were on a ridge where there was no escape and I was concerned about damaging the top. I pointed the truck into the wind, dropped the top, and I slept on the side dinette berth while my wife huddled on the driver side shelf for another sleepless night.

That got me thinking about how we might both sleep comfortably with the top down if we ever find ourselves in similar conditions again. Here is my simple solution, which is lightweight, doesn’t require any tools to set up, and didn’t require any alterations to the camper. There is a 2x4 with aluminum angle ends that hangs between the dinette’s storage cabinets to support the table and a leg that is held in place by the table’s swivel arm. Some blocks lift our Yeti cooler to the correct height. I built steps at the same height that we use to enter the camper. The steps are sized so they fit in the space behind the dinette when we are under way. A piece of 3/8” plywood stored under the bed mattress makes the deck over the Yeti, table, and steps. We can fill the gap between the cushions with towels or clothes.

The 2x4 brace is stored in the small storage space under the flip up lid on the driver side shelf and the table leg fits in either dinette storage cabinet. Although I don’t think it’s necessary, I’ll probably add some non-slip vinyl to the top of the 2x4 and bottom of the table leg. And I am hoping that when I eventually add solar and replace the Yeti with a 12V refrigerator, I can find one that is no taller than the Yeti on blocks (17.5”). This setup will also come in handy on a really cold night if we run out of propane or just don’t want the heat loss with the top up.

Attachments

• DinetteSleep1.jpg
    DinetteSleep1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 415
  • DinetteSleep2.jpg
    DinetteSleep2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 443
  • DinetteSleep3.jpg
    DinetteSleep3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 428
  • DinetteSleep4.jpg
    DinetteSleep4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 447
  • DinetteSleep5.jpg
    DinetteSleep5.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 448
  • DinetteSleep6.jpg
    DinetteSleep6.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 395
Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Pretty clever idea.
How much room does all the extra stuff take up?
Can you store it away and leave space inside?
Frank
There is very little extra stuff. The two long cushions are the ones used to turn the bed into a queen. The 2x4 is 24" and is stored in the little compartment next to the fuses. The table leg is just 16" and stores under the dinette seat. The 3/8" plywood is 19"x75" and stores under the bed mattress. And the steps fit under the shelf behind the dinette chair. They actually take up less space than the folding plastic steps we used before.

fuzzymarindave said:
Very smart. Seems like the equivalent of the rollover couch which I have used several times.
Yes, the rollover couch looks like it would be perfect for sleeping two with the top down. We really like our side dinette for eating inside face to face, which is why we chose that option. There's always a tradeoff. But now I have a simple solution for the side dinette.

We have had to stealth camp a few times in our Hawk Side Dinette. Husband sleeps on the folding side bed with his down backpacking quilt. I am short (5'3") so I use an inflatable short air mattress and sleep on the floor with my down backpacking quilt. I tried a couple of different sleeping pads and found the Klymit Static V Short fits the best in that space and it the most comfortable at 2.5" thick. It rolls up ridiculously small and it only weighs 14 oz.

That's the beauty of a Grandby Front Dinette. My wife and I can sleep very comfortably with the top down on the 48" wide bed. Only problem is having to crawl over each other to use the cassette toilet.

camper rich said:
That's the beauty of a Grandby Front Dinette. My wife and I can sleep very comfortably with the top down on the 48" wide bed. Only problem is having to crawl over each other to use the cassette toilet.
Me too. That was a big factor in our selection of the front dinette version, and we have used it several times already in our first two years of use.

Back
Top Bottom