Slider window replacement

Bdold

Advanced Member
I've got an 03 Dodge Ram 2500. I just ordered a new Grandby and I had FWC put in an opening window into the camper. The problem is that the dodge just has a solid window.

Has anyone poped out their glass and inserted a slider. If so, how hard was it? Any pitfalls?

I can't wait for the Grandby to get here!
Bryan

I've got an 03 Dodge Ram 2500. I just ordered a new Grandby and I had FWC put in an opening window into the camper. The problem is that the dodge just has a solid window.

Has anyone poped out their glass and inserted a slider. If so, how hard was it? Any pitfalls?

I can't wait for the Grandby to get here!
Bryan

I had one put in my 04 Dodge Ram. There are several different options available. I think the unit I went with was made by CR Lawrence. It has been trouble free for the last year. The factory option was about 3 times as much, so I figured it was worth trying the aftermarket unit.

I know on my 02 Dodge the rear window is bonded to the body and isn't a do it yourself project. Could be the same with your 3rd gen truck.

I know on my 02 Dodge the rear window is bonded to the body and isn't a do it yourself project. Could be the same with your 3rd gen truck.

The 3rd gen is bonded as well.

"I had one put in my 04 Dodge Ram. There are several different options available. I think the unit I went with was made by CR Lawrence. It has been trouble free for the last year. The factory option was about 3 times as much, so I figured it was worth trying the aftermarket unit."

Kyle,
Which Model did you get (power?) and what was the breakdown on parts and installation? Was it done here locally? Thanks.

"I had one put in my 04 Dodge Ram. There are several different options available. I think the unit I went with was made by CR Lawrence. It has been trouble free for the last year. The factory option was about 3 times as much, so I figured it was worth trying the aftermarket unit."

Kyle,
Which Model did you get (power?) and what was the breakdown on parts and installation? Was it done here locally? Thanks.

I opted for a manual model given how little it gets used.

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/contentloader/default.aspx?content=www.crlaurence.com/adv/autoproducts/index.html

I can't remember who I had install it. I will look up the paperwork later, but it was here in Tucson for around $400 if I remember correctly. The factory non-powered slider was going to be almost $800 if I remember correctly. Powered was even more. There was also conflicting information from different vendors about whether I could even put the factory slider manual or power in my truck.

I swapped mine out with a used slider from a junk yard. They are bonded so its not a DIY job. The yard I went to had experience removing bonded windows and I made sure the terms were if the installer didn't like the condition of the window I could return it. As it was the installer was very impressed with how they removed the window. Window wasn't cheap though, ~$250-300. Another $100 or so for the installation.

I called a local glass shop and they insisted on using a dodge slider. The quote was $700. Maybe that's not a bad price considering.

BD

I had one put in my 04 Dodge Ram. There are several different options available. I think the unit I went with was made by CR Lawrence. It has been trouble free for the last year. The factory option was about 3 times as much, so I figured it was worth trying the aftermarket unit.

Thanks for the info about C.R. Laurence. I'm in a situation similar to Bryan...new Grandby ordered with front opening window, but truck ('00 Silverado) has a solid rear window. I've requested info from C.R. Laurence, will let y'all know what I find out.
Ed

I called a local glass shop and they insisted on using a dodge slider. The quote was $700. Maybe that's not a bad price considering.

BD

If you find a good use window you might save a couple hundred but its not a cheap endeavor no matter how you slice it with these type of windows.

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/contentloader/default.aspx?content=www.crlaurence.com/adv/autoproducts/index.html

I can't remember who I had install it. I will look up the paperwork later, but it was here in Tucson for around $400 if I remember correctly. The factory non-powered slider was going to be almost $800 if I remember correctly. Powered was even more. There was also conflicting information from different vendors about whether I could even put the factory slider manual or power in my truck.

No hurry.Just when you get some time and thanks.

My 99 Ford had the solid window and I found a CR for under $200, manual. Cost under $75 to have it installed. It's a life saver when there is rain, mud, and multiple dogs!

Here's an update on the slider window replacement for my Silverado 1500. I found Metro Auto Glass Inc. in the Yellow Pages (Portland, Oregon). They are a mobile service. They came the next day and installed a nice Pilkington privacy-glass slider on my truck. $225 parts and labor, w/ a one-year no-leaks warranty (that's a good thing to have here in Portland). I thought the price and service was quite good, FWIW.

Now that's a price I can handle. Unfortunately I am in Colorado. Maybe I'll start looking for other glass installers as well as junk yards for used.
Bryan

No hurry.Just when you get some time and thanks.

Jay,

I found my paperwork... I had JC's Glass do the install. The window was 273.78, 100 for install and sealant. Total with tax/disposal fee etc. was $404.07. It has been trouble free since June and has been great to use as a pass through from the camper to the truck for our clothes or the dog.

Back
Top Bottom