Slight bow in roof?

There is some arc in the roof to allow water to drain off. There was discussion on this on the forum several years ago. Your eyes are not playing tricks.

Paul

north-south bow...

Attachments

• roof frame sample 2.JPG
    roof frame sample 2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 157
This is the pic that shows some reverse bow in my roof. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_9211 (1).JPG
    IMG_9211 (1).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 165
Dafinga said:
This is the pic that shows some reverse bow in my roof. Should I be concerned?
In that picture it is difficult to tell if the arc is upwards or downwards.It looks at first glance to be bowing downwards, but again it's hard to tell from this angle. If arc is upwards, it's normal. If it's downwards, yes, you should be concerned. Water is supposed to roll off the roof, obviously, not collect in a puddle in the middle of the roof. Can you show a better shot of the roof, taken at an elevation that is at the roof line? Your photo could be slightly distorted - wide angle maybe.

You might try simply putting a 2x4x10 stud up there - north-south axis -and see if both ends of 2x4 are slightly raised with the middle touching the roof. If it touches in the middle with both ends raised, then the arc is correct.

Rich

Dafinga said:
So it should be shaped like a U not a upside down U?
The roof should look like a rainbow (an upside down U), but that's a gross exaggeration. It's only a very slight arc (from front of camper to back of camper). Highly unlikely you have a reverse curve in your roof line. Just put a long straight edge up there (a 2x4x8) and it should tell you exactly what you need to know.

The flatbed camper roofs are a bit longer than some of the smaller slide-in campers. The longer the camper roof, the more items you have on the camper roof, the more bow in the roof you will notice.

I have seen a few flatbed campers with roofs like that. Not much you can do about it, except reduce weight on the roof.

Usually happens and noticeable when the customer puts roof racks on the roof, a traditional glass solar panel, there is snow weight on the roof, or they mounted a roof storage box (Yakima Space Case, Rocket Box, etc.)

All the years I've been here. have not seen any problems with a small roof sag like that. Should hold up for years and years.

The only drawback, the rain water tends to pool up in the middle sometimes. That will add more weight to the roof, possibly increasing the roof sag until the water is off the roof (once you lower the roof and start driving).

Back
Top Bottom