Slink update

craig333

Riley's Human
Dozers are going in by heenan lake, near the summit and down by the valley. I stopped and took pics of a helicopter dipping out of topaz lake. Alpine search and rescue pulled up. 18000+ acres currently. I asked what they expected on the north side of the fire. Depends on the winds he said. An unfavorable wind and it will go right over Monitor. I hope I don't have to go through Carson on the way home. Dunderberg was nice at first. Now smoke is settling in, I guess from the Sequoia fire. Staging for the fire is in Coleville. Good thing Ted and the Skis went when they did.

The Slink Fire has spotted south of Heenan in Bagley Valley. That's why the dozers are working. It has also put a little spot fire further west in Wolf Creek drainage.

Smoke is awful here - multiple sources I suspect. View from nearby lookouts is all smoke.

The Slink Fire has spotted south of Heenan in Bagley Valley. That's why the dozers are working. It has also put a little spot fire further west in Wolf Creek drainage.

Smoke is awful here - multiple sources I suspect. View from nearby lookouts is all smoke.

Good thing Ted and the Skis went when they did.
Yeah, I was looking at a map of the where the Slink fire has burned. Our camp site was almost dead center. And Heenan still looks bad after the fire two or three years ago. Disappointing to see it possibly getting hit again.

Thanks for the update Craig.

Don't like the possible burn again at Heenan.
That area has really been hit bad over the last 15 years or so.

It was just starting to look good again last fishing season at the lake.
Can't go much when nature starts the fires.
Frank

Now I'm guessing the smoke at Dunderberg might have been from the Creek fire. Wasn't bad in the morning. Back at the Coleville staging area there were a lot of hot shot crews that I'd never heard of getting their morning briefing before heading out. Monitor pass was still open, yay, but the smoke on the west side was heavy.

Past where the dozer trailers were I saw flashing lights. Odd place for a fire engine I thought but it wasn't a fire engine. Sheriff was at the scene of a motorcycle accident. Bike didn't look damaged and they guy (wearing full gear at least) didn't appear to be seriously injured. Probably got into the gravel and laid it down. Not going to have a good weekend.

Wolf creek road was open. Lots of campers, fishermen and even some backpackers at the trailhead. Kinda wonder about the safety of that. Checked out the new bridge on the Dixon Mine road. Thought about hiking down to the mine but didn't. On the way out a FS fire pickup guy was watching the smoke from the fire. CHP in a sedan came down the road. Didn't expect to see that.

Tons of people out everywhere as you'd expect on a holiday weekend. Going up the grade to Carson Pass a truck pulling a trailer pulls off into the last, and thankfully empty turnout. I thought he just wanted to check out the view until I noticed the wheel on his trailer sitting at a 45 degree angle. Another guy not going to have a happy weekend but at least it didn't fall off in a much worse spot.

Silver Lake was jam packed. Good thing I did the brakes on the truck a couple weeks back. I needed them to avoid an idiot there.

I make the turn into my fall back spot off the Silverfork Road. A couple of bowhunters in there but no one camped, at all. Almost smoke free air and no neighbors. I got lucky. Finished reading The Last Season there. I bet a few of you have met Randy Morgenson at some time.

Finished off the leftover breakfast from the Bridgeport Inn (only place open serving a full menu and pricey too) before heading home. As soon I get cell coverage my phone lights up. My brother texted me. Creek fire 36,000 acres. Creek fire 90k acres and campers evacuated by helicopter. Dang, things happen fast in CA. Then I turn the radio on hear about the fires in Socal. Just can't catch a break in this state.

East side of Monitor Pass

Read the story in the morning paper about the Creek fire.
The campers at Mammoth Pool Reservoir about 200+ were helicoptered
out.
A lot of people camping there ,first time campers some from LA area.
I looked at the road in to the lake area.What a long twisty road and only one way in/out.

The campers there were lucky to get out alive.Fire spread very fast.Some campers
spent several hours in the lake for protection from flames and smoke.

What a mess our state is in.

No camping for us for a while.
Frank

I thought about doing the High Sierra Poker run this year. Cancelled due to fire.

ba70ce76-db29-45d9-9608-33a8688449ac.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]U.S. Forest Service [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Eldorado National Forest [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]100 Forni Road [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Placerville, CA 95667 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]530-303-2412[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]www.fs.usda.gov/eldoradohttp://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001n8cU...UIFZu2ghDYRBUf41c4Cj_TN2lgHp5Oz5k6lqzqqtH7Q==[/SIZE]

f13f1819-ace3-4afb-8bfb-7ffbe3ac6671.png

[SIZE=36pt]News Release[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For Immediate Release[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]September 7, 2020[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ranger Station Contacts:[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10.5pt]Georgetown - (530) 334-6477 [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10.5pt]Pacific & Placerville - (916) 500-4712 [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10.5pt]Amador - (209) 259-3774 [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=14.5pt]Forest Service Temporarily Closes Southern California National Forests, Adds Prohibitions in Others[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]PLACERVILLE, Calif. - Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1. Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2. Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt](This includes the Eldorado National Forest.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]3. Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt](This includes the Eldorado National Forest.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]“The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Forest Service manages 18 National Forests in the Pacific Southwest Region, which encompasses over 20 million acres across California, and assists forest landowners in California, Hawaii and the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Islands. National forests supply 50 percent of the water in California and form the watershed of most major aqueducts and more than 2,400 reservoirs throughout the state. For more information, visit [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]www.fs.usda.gov/R5http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001n8cU...UIFZu2ghDYRBUf41c4Cj_TN2lgHp5Oz5k6lqzqqtH7Q==http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001n8cU...UIFZu2ghDYRBUf41c4Cj_TN2lgHp5Oz5k6lqzqqtH7Q==[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]###[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10.5pt]The U.S.D.A Forest Service is an equal opportunity employer. The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.[/SIZE]

Its been updated. I support closing the forest. I just have my doubts how well thats going to work. I heard on the radio this morning before I left camp they found another unattended campfire. I'm not so sure the idiots will stay away. Most will so it will help some.

The number of unattended campfires has been indeed frightening. The most enlightening reported encounter - "What's the fine? I'm going to have a campfire. I'll just pay the fine."

Tahoe is including dispersed camping but not trail heads. I'm sure the other forests won't be far behind. Instead of confusing people they should just go ahead a do a full closure.

ski3pin said:
The number of unattended campfires has been indeed frightening. The most enlightening reported encounter - "What's the fine? I'm going to have a campfire. I'll just pay the fine."
Has it always been like this?
"I am going to do what I want screw the rules".

What is happening to our society?
Maybe just the sign of the times.Hope there is a change soon.
Frank

I feel sorry for all those affected..
In reading the FS announcement I was wondering if this quote..

“2. Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California. (This includes the Eldorado National Forest.)”

means that you could not even use the stove in your camper if you found a place to boondock?

Some lessons just have to be re-learned. Campfire prohibitions are being viewed by many inexperienced campers as just another example of the 'the man' stepping all over their individual rights. This fire season may be a lesson to some of those people. It seems strange to me. As many on this site were, I was trained early to make sure my fire was out, dead out, cold ashes, before retiring for the evening and again in the morning after breakfast. Over the last couple of decades I have used fire less often, to the point of not having a single fire on our last 3 week plus backcountry boondocking trip. Humans do have a fascination with fire, as an example we observed many campers in a Death Valley campground a few years ago ritualistically lighting up their fires at dusk despite temperatures in the high 90s.

Jet boil for coffee and museli in the morning, a cold lunch, and then a salad with a chunk of smoked salmon on it for supper accompanied by your preferred beverage and some chocolate for dessert seems like not much of a hardship and is not much of a fire risk either.

Back
Top Bottom