Smell/heat from electrical outlet panel

okwilson

The electrical outlet panel in our 2016 Grandby is emitting an odor reminiscent of hot electronic components, and is warm to the touch. we are only using the USB charging ports. Has anyone experienced this? This is a new situation that has just started this week on our journey through s Utah.

Which "electrical outlet panel" do you mean? The 120 volt outlet that's live when you're connected to shore power? The 12 volt panel that looks like the picture below? Where are the USB charging ports connected?

Attachments

• 12v panel.jpg
    12v panel.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 72
Ok, esimmers is correct. More information is needed, including photos. Are you the original Owner? Did you make changes to your electrical? Was this built out at the plant or a shell. In order for people to help they need as much info as possible. jd

I think the newer panel has 2x 2 port USB chargers and one 12V cigarette lighter plug.. I'm guessing this is what the op is talking about.

I have the older style that esimmers posted a picture of, so I don't have any experience with the USB ports. I would try using only one side or the other and see if that eliminates the problem. It is very unlikely that both sides would fail at the same time. It could be a faulty USB charger on one side, or it could simply be a loose connection behind the panel. You can easily pull the panel out and take a look at the wiring by removing the screws.

On-board 12v battery power only, no shore, no generator. Yes I am the original owner. The panel was installed at the factory. Last June, my dealer added a 12v cigarette lighter plug at the far end of the counter. fwctaco, I will be back on the road tomorrow and will do some testing. (I'm in a cabin now for 3 days.) Thank you all.
​I can't see how to add an image here!*##! But the panel has two 120v recepticals, a cigarette lighter plug, and 4 USB plugs.

​Where is the attach image button?

I think that I'd pull the fuse for that panel and see if the heat & smell go away. This is a potential fire hazard, be careful!

I just had the same issue on my 2017 Fleet. There was an electrical smell and then two of the USB outlets on one side went dead. I’m not real happy about this considering how new the camper is. I guess I’ll have to dig in there and replace the USB outlets. Gotta check the fuses also.

JimBow said:
I just had the same issue on my 2017 Fleet. There was an electrical smell and then two of the USB outlets on one side went dead. I’m not real happy about this considering how new the camper is. I guess I’ll have to dig in there and replace the USB outlets. Gotta check the fuses also.

Question: Were the USB plugs in use when they went dead and/or you had an "electrical smell"?

I noticed the smell on a recent camping trip, and then discovered that two of the USB outlets were dead. They could have been in use when the smell started. Not totally sure though.

The next day after purchasing our new 2018 unit from the Woodland factory, I noticed the area where the 12V wiring is located, smelled like either what I consider "new" electronics or electronics starting to fail. (We have a shell model with dual 12V AGM batteries wired to an Overland MPPT. No solar had been added at this point. Lifting the shelf lid and looking inside the area with the 12V wiring, I did not see anything that would suggest over heating or causing the smell. The wiring was proper gauge and terminated correctly. The Shut Off switch was off and yet I smelled that old familiar smell. I worked inside a Telecommunications Central Office for years and often when we had -48V DC equipment starting to fail, it would give off a similar odor. Now that we have had our FWC for 2-3 months, I noticed the smell is dissipating. At this time, I don't believe what I was smelling was anything electrical but possibly just the fact it was new or maybe an adhesive I was smelling.

Back
Top Bottom