Snow... no way?

XJINTX

OK 50+ days of 100+ degree days thus far this summer here in TX... I've had enough ;) Headed to Montana today and I'm seeing snow warnings ... can't wait. Hope to get some fly fishing in and kayak some too. Taking a week to get there and spending 10 days there. No plan for trip back yet but plan on a week or two. Going to try and do Idaho back roads or most of it. Not sure how a full size will do. Looking for out of the way places for trip up and back if you know any place in particular. I've been through the areas but mostly on road and National or state parks.

XJINTX said:
OK 50+ days of 100+ degree days thus far this summer here in TX... I've had enough ;) Headed to Montana today and I'm seeing snow warnings ... can't wait. Hope to get some fly fishing in and kayak some too. Taking a week to get there and spending 10 days there. No plan for trip back yet but plan on a week or two. Going to try and do Idaho back roads or most of it. Not sure how a full size will do. Looking for out of the way places for trip up and back if you know any place in particular. I've been through the areas but mostly on road and National or state parks.
My trip is in 2 weeks and I read the same forecast. 30s at night. I'm adjusting the clothes I will be bringing...can't wait been a hot summer in CA too.

XJINTX said:
Nice snow at Glacier NP a few days ago. Have fun and catch a few for me [emoji16]

We had some snow overnight here in the higher elevations of the Tetons. Warming up again today, feels like autumn weather. Enjoy!

We also take off 9-3 for the Wind River Range, "Winds"...but for those of you "out of town"; remember many fires are burning in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Nevada and some of Wyoming....there are some road closures and lots of smoke..worth the time to check your route just before leaving...

Phil

Wallowa said:
We also take off 9-3 for the Wind River Range, "Winds"...but for those of you "out of town"; remember many fires are burning in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Nevada and some of Wyoming....there are some road closures and lots of smoke..worth the time to check your route just before leaving...

Phil
If you drive all the way up around the Wind River Range, on the West side, Green River Lakes Campground is beautiful. On the lake with the mountains across the lake. We we're there at the end Sept. '16. Just outside Lander is the Sinks and we camped in the state park. The river ran along the edge of the campground. Check our 2016 Wyoming/Montana trip on our blog:
http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com

longhorn1 said:
If you drive all the way up around the Wind River Range, on the West side, Green River Lakes Campground is beautiful. On the lake with the mountains across the lake. We we're there at the end Sept. '16. Just outside Lander is the Sinks and we camped in the state park. The river ran along the edge of the campground. Check our 2016 Wyoming/Montana trip on our blog:
http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com
Green River Lakes Campground shows it closes the first week of September? Actually Sept 2nd?
​Are you saying it's actually opened later?
​Any other "Locals" have good WY recommendations around that area?

Campground is open but water and restrooms will be closed...no big deal our Hawk is made for that...last year rode a dirt bike [WR250R] almost 100% on dirt across Id, Mt, Wy [2,400 miles] ...around the Winds..down from Teton/Dubois side over Union Pass on the North end and down through Pinedale/Atlantic City on south end to Ten Sleeps and on to Cody and Red Lodge...a very special part of that ride is the dirt road over from Dillon then along the Gravelly Range [N to S] to Island City; stunning...but currently the Monument Fire has the Gravelly route closed..put the Gravelly Range on your Bucket List.

Green River Lake is our primary destination this year with perhaps a week of kicking it there and doing day hikes into that end of the Winds...we have three + weeks to poke around..any backcountry areas that you folks can suggest in that area will be appreciated.."dispersed camping" is our preferred mode!

Thanks,

Phil

Wallowa said:
Campground is open but water and restrooms will be closed...no big deal our Hawk is made for that...last year rode a dirt bike [WR250R] almost 100% on dirt across Id, Mt, Wy [2,400 miles] ...around the Winds..down from Teton/Dubois side over Union Pass on the North end and down through Pinedale/Atlantic City on south end to Ten Sleeps and on to Cody and Red Lodge...a very special part of that ride is the dirt road over from Dillon then along the Gravelly Range [N to S] to Island City; stunning...but currently the Monument Fire has the Gravelly route closed..put the Gravelly Range on your Bucket List.

Green River Lake is our primary destination this year with perhaps a week of kicking it there and doing day hikes into that end of the Winds...we have three + weeks to poke around..any backcountry areas that you folks can suggest in that area will be appreciated.."dispersed camping" is our preferred mode!

Thanks,

Phil
Green River Lakes Campground and there are dispersed places along the road going in. We pretty much had that campground to ourselves.

longhorn1 said:
Green River Lakes Campground and there are dispersed places along the road going in. We pretty much had that campground to ourselves.

Excellent; will go past the dispersed camp sites just to be by the lake...if anybody is in the area of the Winds, or for that matter Stanley Id, look for a '05 Tundra AC dark gray with a Hawk aboard and Warn winch on front...stop to say hello and get a cup of coffee...

Phil

Ps...Not wanting to start a flame war, but sad to just read that Wy is starting a grizzly hunt in and around Yellowstone 9-1 into Nov...killing 33 with 13 sows in that number...like a photographer posted: "killing them for fun".

Wallowa said:
Excellent; will go past the dispersed camp sites just to be by the lake...if anybody is in the area of the Winds, or for that matter Stanley Id, look for a '05 Tundra AC dark gray with a Hawk aboard and Warn winch on front...stop to say hello and get a cup of coffee...

Phil

Ps...Not wanting to start a flame war, but sad to just read that Wy is starting a grizzly hunt in and around Yellowstone 9-1 into Nov...killing 33 with 13 sows in that number...like a photographer posted: "killing them for fun".
Continental Divide Trail is right along the lake. We were there around 9/26/16 and there was a restroom part way toward the boat ramp and it was open.

Wallowa said:

Thanks,

Phil

longhorn1 said:
Great Info! Thanks Guys! I'm putting this on my list for my trip to MT.

Back
Top Bottom