So Cal Mini Rally

Tomas Tierra

Contributors
I have contacted a few of you boys over the last yaer or so to get on up to my favorite local back country camp (Marc, Simi Mike, Camel Racer).Last year it was late in opening. Well the time has come, and the back country is open! I thought I would open it up to the whole group and see if I could get any biters.

Myself and I believe Sunman will be heading up the hill on Friday the 25th of june for a couple of days in the backcountry. If anyone wants to join, you're more than welcome. They limit the # of rigs up there to I believe 10.. First come, first served. If you're interested you'll need to make a reservation with the Ojai Valley Ranger at 805 646 4348 dial 0 for operator. Tell them you want a pass to get up on Nordhoff Ridge road for said dates. The Ranger will lead you through the process. The place is great on a full moon, which happens to be the Saturday :cool:

Hope to see a couple of you guys up there! I will post further details if anyone decides to join. It's about 45mins on the pavement, and an additional 45 mins offroad from Ventura.
4x4 recomended :D

RALLY CALL!!!!!

Tomas

TT,

Sounds like a good trip. I checked out the photos from your other posts and the trail looks fairly easy. Do you think a long wheelbase full size 4x4 beast would have any trouble? Can the permit process be completed over the phone?

Dick

You'll have no problems with the big truck Dick. The process is easily handled over the phone. Depending on when you are passing through ojai, you can either pick your permit up on Friday before 4:30, or they will leave it in a drop box outside the front door of the ranger's office for late firday or saturday pick up. The Ranger station is through ojai, then on the left. Ranger will give you a combo for the gate (on the permit)that is within the Rose Valley Campground off of the 33..Once you go through thte gate, and get up the hill, follow signs to Nordhoff Ridge and ultinmately "elders camp". Rose Valley Campground is in a circle, the gate is at about 2 o clock in that circle..Hope it works into your schedule!

TT

TT,

I called today and got my name on the access list. I'll pick up my adventure pass and get the combination on the 25th. Are you and Sunni caravaning or just meeting up there? My schedule is open.

Dick

Cool Dick! Look forward to meeting you.. Not sure what Suni's schedule is, I'll be leaving Oxnard tentativly around noon.

When you head down the Rose Valley CG road, hang a right at your first 4 way intersection. That will lead you into the CG, and to the locked gate. When you get up the hill, go left at the "Y". Then further on down the road, left again at another"Y" signed "Elders Camp".

Dick, these are the signs you will encounter on the trail..Go left at both..

Surprisingly, the wildflowers were awesome. I was up there last weekend with my boy.

Attachments

• topa topa \'10 011small.jpg
    topa topa \'10 011small.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 88
  • topa topa \'10 019small.jpg
    topa topa \'10 019small.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 90
  • topa topa \'10 020small.jpg
    topa topa \'10 020small.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 91
Hey Dick, glad you are gonna make it. Not sure when i'll be making my way up, sometime between noon and 3pm i'd imagine. Hopefully we'll get the June Gloom out of here and be able to take in the incredible views properly.

Attachments

• IMG_6711_1024x768.JPG
    IMG_6711_1024x768.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6719_1024x768.JPG
    IMG_6719_1024x768.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 99
Talked to Rinaldo this AM and I am good to go. See ya Friday afternoon. :cool:

marc

Sweet! Way to finagle brother! Now I gotta catch a seabass for Ceviche! THe moon, water temp, time if year are all right on the $..All I need is planetary alignment ( and some live squids would help)..

Sweet! Way to finagle brother! Now I gotta catch a seabass for Ceviche! THe moon, water temp, time if year are all right on the $..All I need is planetary alignment ( and some live squids would help)..

We have planetary alignment! Gotta couple of nice ones! Chop Chop....

Attachments

• topa topa \'10 003.jpg
    topa topa \'10 003.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 99
Years ago I went with a friend up there in his crew cab dually 4wd Chevy truck. Low range going up and down, but as others have mentioned, only because it is steep!
Bombing it on an MTB is a rush! The gate kinda sucks though.....
:)

hum, wheels turning, no promises though.

Back
Top Bottom