So what did you do to your camper this week?

craig333

Riley's Human
Purchased the gallon jug of 303 (yeah its a bit, but will last a long time) and refilled my sprayer. Did the entire camper and truck. I like to do it about every three months. Theres an amazing amount of rubber and plastic on these things, not to mention the vinyl. The door handle, around the windows, decorative pieces along the camper, the doors, lights and on and on.

Easy to do when you think about what that stuff costs to replace, not to mention the fun sourcing it, installing it and the general crappy look you get when it all starts to dry and crack.

Next up, getting out the silicone and replacing some old stuff thats starting to look marginal.

I went the opposite route.

Taking my new to me camper, I filled it with 3 stinky dudes, 6 sets of skis and boots, endless amounts of camping equipment (ie beer) and drove it down way too many 4wd roads trying to get to hot springs and camping spots. It came home with new war wounds on the interior and exterior, and i'm not quite sure about ever getting the smell out. I broke the screen on the window, cracked one of the front windows (a ski went into it), and generally beat it up.

At least I don't have to worry about scratching it any more. :rolleyes:

I took it off the truck.

Needed the truck to be a truck for a few days of hauling stuff.

And, wow, now I can do the screen over the front slider window, make & mount my air fairing under the overcab area and maybe even finish the last touches of installing the solar panel as the front roof of the camper is now lower and easy to get to, especially if I back the truck bed up to the front end and stand in the truck bed.

Put it back on the Tundra. Had is off to do some hauling. First time doing by myself at the new house. Total time from lift start to tighten down 50 minutes with no problems. Had to lift all the way up from my storage dolly and found that my cordless drill will run the jacks up no problem. Wife looking at an new dining table so may do it all over again next week.

I bought a new (to me) truck for my camper. Went with a 2002 Chevy 2500HD crew cab duramax. MUCH more truck than my 1995 standard cab dodge diesel. Easily the nicest/fastest/biggest/cleanest truck I have ever owned.

Got an Edgestar 12v fridge/freezer in the mail to install. Started tearing out the old non-working 2-way fridge...

So really not much :D

Installed another Fantastic fan above the sink area, rigged up additional back up lights on the Hawk and have been looking over the web for the trip to AK.
Anybody have any ideas on camping in BC, AB, NT, YK or MB other than Provincial Parks or National Parks? Seems like it either a campground setting or a walk in campground.

Went camping in the desert. Nice weather, saw some old cabins and an old rancher taking care of his horses. Got to ride the ATV around and explore a bit.

Met up with a group that repairs water guzzlers (Water for Wildlife) and the Native American Land Conservancy (nalc4all.org) that owns 4 sections of land out there.

Attachments

• DSC01641 (Large).JPG
    DSC01641 (Large).JPG
    147 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01656 (Large).JPG
    DSC01656 (Large).JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01671 (Large).JPG
    DSC01671 (Large).JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 193
Well........I punched a hole in the roof vent trying to get the &$#&%#! ING foot of snow off the camper yesterday morning. I ordered a new polycarbonate lid, so I should be able to whack it harder before it breaks next week when I am removing another (*&%^%$^%$# ing foot of snow from the camper. Hopefully the snow is over for this year. Now I have really cursed myself.:D

Good Camping All.

Paul

I had to change rear struts to 60lb to help compensate for the addition of a 55lb fishing kayak that now rides on the roof, along with a 100 watt solar panel, fishing pole holder, dual Fantastic fans, a 4' aluminum ladder (to get the kayak off & on with), and a high power WI-FI transceiver/antenna.

Leaving 15 May for Yukon, NWT, and Alaska for the summer. I think I'm ready.

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 752
  • roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 739
I had to change rear struts to 60lb to help compensate for the addition of a 55lb fishing kayak that now rides on the roof along with a 100 watt solar panel, fishing pole holder, dual Fantastic fans, a 4' aluminum ladder (to get the kayak off & on with), and a high power WI-FI antenna.

I like where you carry the extra fuel.Is there any problem with the with it being above the heater?I carry a 12' canoe but flip it upside down in the middle of the roof.Looks like you are ready the some good adventures.

We are headed up that way also but not until august.Have a great trip.

Frank

On a more serious note, I got out over the last week and did some great hiking to some of my favorite fly fishing areas, and also spent several days on my road bike. Prior to my trip, I changed my tie downs from the old chains and aluminum turnbuckles system and installed the "XL Spring Loaded Turnbuckles". What a difference, no turnbuckles shaking loose, no chains rattling on rough roads, and so much easier to tighten, not having wing nuts. Just grab the smooth round cylinder and twist until until properly snug. Run the locking nut up against the main cylinder and it stays tight and can not move, regardless of the rough roads I travel. I like the rigid system and on the rougher roads you can see the spring loaded system working. I also mounted rear Torklift Tie Downs to the OEM hitch system (Truck Frame) and eliminated the bumper buttons. I just didn't like the way the bumper would move using the tie downs to the bumper. For those of you that have the bed mounted campers this is irrelevant, but for those still using the chains and aluminum turnbuckles, you may want to give these a try, they are far and above a better system. (IMO)

Good Camping,

Paul

I had to change rear struts to 60lb to help compensate for the addition of a 55lb fishing kayak that now rides on the roof along with a 100 watt solar panel, fishing pole holder, dual Fantastic fans, a 4' aluminum ladder (to get the kayak off & on with), and a high power WI-FI antenna.

So Bob where do you store the ladder you need to put the ladder on the roof?

On a more serious note, I got out over the last week and did some great hiking to some of my favorite fly fishing areas, and also spent several days on my road bike. Prior to my trip, I changed my tie downs from the old chains and aluminum turnbuckles system and installed the "XL Spring Loaded Turnbuckles". What a difference, no turnbuckles shaking loose, no chains rattling on rough roads, and so much easier to tighten, not having wing nuts. Just grab the smooth round cylinder and twist until until properly snug. Run the locking nut up against the main cylinder and it stays tight and can not move, regardless of the rough roads I travel. I like the rigid system and on the rougher roads you can see the spring loaded system working. I also mounted rear Torklift Tie Downs to the OEM hitch system (Truck Frame) and eliminated the bumper buttons. I just didn't like the way the bumper would move using the tie downs to the bumper. For those of you that have the bed mounted campers this is irrelevant, but for those still using the chains and aluminum turnbuckles, you may want to give these a try, they are far and above a better system. (IMO)

Good Camping,

Paul

Thanks for the info....can you post a link on buying the spring loaded turnbuckles? Thanks

Well it's not a camper but I did the fan upgrade to the 14 speed remote control in the Casita. Love having the very low speed option, quiet and still vents the interior perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom