So what did you do to your camper this week?

Okay, I'm confused. its getting the signal out how?

I'm the one that's confused Craig. I'm not understanding your question. Getting the signal out of what,
the Computer? You would be getting data out of the computer to the transceiver via a USB port.

Click on the link in the other post and read about it.

I had to change rear struts to 60lb to help compensate for the addition of a 55lb fishing kayak that now rides on the roof, along with a 100 watt solar panel, fishing pole holder, dual Fantastic fans, a 4' aluminum ladder (to get the kayak off & on with), and a high power WI-FI transceiver/antenna.

Leaving 15 May for Yukon, NWT, and Alaska for the summer. I think I'm ready.

index.php

index.php

Hi K6ON,

I see the wifi antenna on the back on your first picture. What's the big antenna on the front? Is it a cellular antenna? What brand/model? Do you like it? Is there a reason why you put these 2 antennas at opposite ends of your truck? I'm under the impression that since they operate at different frequencies, they can be relatively close to each other.

I see on the second picture that you just slid the USB cable in without drilling a whole. Was it easy to do? Do you recommend that over drilling a whole and putting a bulkhead? How did you wire the USB cable inside? Were you able to hide it inside? Do you have a picture of the inside?

I don't have my camper yet so it's hard for me to figure out what the best way to do things is. I'm hoping to be able to catch cellular signal in slightly remote places using a cellular antenna and a cellular booster. Then my iphone passes the data to a computer using a USB port. Then the computer retransmits it as an infrastructure wifi signal with an antenna similar to yours. Then I have wifi in short to medium range around the camper. I was considering mounting both antennas on the back roof rack, one on each side. I wonder why you have your cellular antenna (if this is what it is) in front. Can you show a picture of how the front antenna is mounted?

I'm very interested in knowing what your setup is an if you'd do it differently had you to redo it.

Thanks for the info,

Herve

The front antenna looks like a screwdriver type ham radio HF (aka Shortwave) antenna, probably mounted on his front bumper as they tend to be fairly tall. It is called a screwdriver antenna design as some models used a cordless screwdriver motor and gears to turn a lead screw and raise and lower part of the antenna thus causing an electric contact (a wiper) to vary the tap point on a large inductor (a coil). The coil is inside the large cylinder section you see. This remote adjustment capability allows the antenna to be tuned to a wide variety of frequencies.

I wanted a grey water holder so I could use the sink quickly without having to hook up a hose and tank so I made a holding tank out of a 4' section of 3" PVC pipe that will lay flat across the top of my bumper. A washing machine supply hose is just the right length to attach it to the camper drain. It holds about 1.75 gallons but I haven't got to try it out yet.

My flooring was getting ratty and I was using a rug runner which moved around and traveling with a herd of dogs I need something I can remove easily to shake it out. The solution was to buy a 5x7' carpet remnant for $23, cut it to exactly fit my floor space, and to bind the cut edges with a heat gun. The heat gun did a nice and easy job of melting the fibers so they won't unravel and as you can see in the pic I now have a custom fit carpet that stays in place yet is easily removed, and cheap!

P1040950-S.jpg

P1040952-S.jpg

P1040951-S.jpg

Nice idea on that carpeting. Have to file that one in the memory bank.

I have the same. Office type or outdoor carpet seems to hold up the best. You can always take it out and vacuum or hose it.
I also have a small 2'x3' throw rug in the entry which catches most of the dirt as you enter and is easily removed and shaken out during camping. Captures a lot of the doggy hair, which is always abundant...

DSC01888 (Large).JPG

I have the same. Office type or outdoor carpet seems to hold up the best. You can always take it out and vacuum or hose it.
I also have a small 2'x3' throw rug in the entry which catches most of the dirt as you enter and is easily removed and shaken out during camping. Captures a lot of the doggy hair, which is always abundant...

View attachment 12280

I guess two carpets is even better! I had actually bought the piece of carpet for something else but then was looking at it and thought I'd put it to use in the camper. I was thinking I could go to a carpet place and have them sew an edge on it but I tested the heat gun on another piece and it seemed to work pretty well. Next I want to figure out a good solution to upholstery and dogs.

I finally installed a Comfort Air, Gold vent fan.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-comfort-air-fans-gold-series/31463

It was less than the Fantastic fan. Has reverse and a variable speed control, instead of three speed.
Install was easy. Pulls ~2.5A on high. Like the ability to adjust the speed way down low for night time use

Thinking now about putting one up front, already have a vent there.

Took it (the Gramby) up to Eagle Lake (Lassen Counrty) to see how the new solar panels i just put on, work and they really work!! Even had sun most of the time-weather here (Susanville) has been pretty freaky-went from winter to summer and back again several times. Can't believe all the power I have now, brought along my direct tv dvr and sat. dish and actually watched my Giants everyday and didn't drain the batteries-went to red a few time in the late innings, but when i ran the truck a little right back to yellow and green if i shut the tv off-its funny to see the light on green when the sun comes out-not used to this modern stuff. Think I'll head over to the Steens and see if I can get the Giants on tv up there and catch a few fish. Now if the NFL comes back I can maybe even watch my beloved 49ers while out adventuring!

Back
Top Bottom