Solar advice for new eagle shell

journeygirl

Hi all,

I ordered a new eagle shell on the last day they were still taking orders! I'm soooo excited to pick it up on July 1st. I've ordered the furnace/ stove, a fantastic fan, and a fold-over couch, and I'm getting the Yak tracks installed by FWC. I want to get solar for the camper, and I'm wondering what the best system would be. I am trying to keep weight down as much as possible and am wondering if the Zamp system that FWC uses is the on the heavy side. I'm new to all of this and don't feel up to figuring out an install on my own, but I'm wondering if it would be worth looking for a lighter (and cheaper?) solar kit with about a 160 watt panel that I could pay to have installed. Any experience or advice would be helpful! Thanks for any input!

I too have a new Eagle shell. I installed a 150 watt panel myself on my Yakima tracks. Got the panel for 165.00 and I believe it only weighs 23 pounds. I did buy the Blue Sky solar 3000 MPPT controller which I believe was about $250.00 but it all works just great, no more worry of properly charging my house battery and my start battery. I believe their Zamp system is no better than what I have done and I spent way less money on it. Ron

I installed a renogy 100W rigid panel and a morningstar Sunsaver 10A charge controller in my eagle, works great. I'm running the lights and a 12v compressor cooler no problem, total cost about $200.

We have a Zamp 100W on the roof and no issues lifting the roof. We also have a portable 80W to plug in when needed. jd

BillM- Which model Morningstar controller did you get? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Congrats Journey on your new Eagle Shell.

Four Wheel Camper uses the best, and often the most expensive. Zamp is a great system will do the job and Four Wheel will install it for you for a no hassle experience. Downside its very expensive.

Renogy or Solar Blvd or other makes are less expensive options. We have a Renogy 150 watt rigid panel,($219) MorningStar SunSaver 10L controller,($57 - Solar Blvd) and Trimetric 2030-RV Battery monitor.( about $250). Click on the links for more information.

Panel weighs 26 pounds. We have the 40 pound inside struts assist and use the speaker lift to lift the roof.

Reason for 150 watt? Angle of the sun in winter. Placing panel flat on roof you can't angle it at the sun. You will lose 40% of the output in winter time because the sun is at a low angle in the sky. 150 watt is rated at 8.38 amps output on June 22nd.(the longest sunny day in the year-unless your in Southern Cal enjoying the fog). In December it will produce about 5 amps per hour. You need enough amps to run your compressor fridge and charge the battery.

Many of us shell owners use a portable 12 volt compressor fridge: TruckFridge, Engle model MT35F (what we have) or ? and LED lights, Fantastic fan. we charge smart phone batteries, camera batteries, model airplane batteries(my hobby). The biggest amp draw is the fridge. I can't comment for "truckfridge". The Engle draws 2.8 amps when it cycles and averages 1.5 amps per hour in 80* weather. I estimate adding the rest of the items adds a half amp.... so I'm drawing about 2-2.5 amps per hour average The Dometic 65L in the regular camper models draws 4.5-5 amps when it cycles (runs) which is most of the time.

So in my case 5 amp output is enough to run everything and have an excess 3 amps per hour to recharge the battery which it does in about 4 hours of sunlight. During the 12-14 hours of darkness the battery discharge range is 100% sunset to 84% sunrise.

To view my install, click on the link below my signature and ...go to page 12 -Reply #'s 111-113..

Yak Tracks
I wish I had purchased these when we bought our shell because it provides an easy base to attach the rigid solar panel to and it positions the panel over the middle of the roof spreading out the weight. Rigid 100-150 watt panels are heavy. Renogy 100 watt 16.5 pounds. 150 watt 26.5 pounds. I miss my old failed 'Flexible" 100 watt - 4 pounds.

We placed our rigid over the area that held the flexible placing all the weight forward of the front lifting board. Even with the 40 pound struts assist, roof to heavy to lift without the speaker lift.

Voltage and batteries
You can review that section in my original build post. Summarizing 1 - 80 amp battery has 40 amps of usable power because once the voltage drops below 12 your 12 volt appliances won't work. In my case 40 amps at 2.5 amps per hour will run my devices 16 hours leaving me 2 hours of cushion in December.

Shade camping
We carry a small 60 watt rigid panel ( 6 pounds). Puts out 3.5 amps and 50 feet of 12 gauge cable. We have connector plugs on the back wall and roof. Works great when truck is in shade. We carry it in the winter so far haven't needed it for winter desrt camping.

I Apologize for the length of my response. Happy camping.

My Eagle has the 100w Zamp from FWC but it wasn't enough to power my Dometic 65 fridge let alone my laptop and cell booster, etc. so I added another 100w panel from GoPower (had to have a new controller too). It's expensive but I had heard so many bad experiences with some of the cheaper panels I decided to go with a more robust solution, especially since my camper is on all the time and sits outside. GoPower is made by Carmanah and they are widely respected in the field.

I may add yet another panel just to be on the safe side in winter months. I also have a 60w foldable panel I can deploy when I'm stopped during daylight, but I'm often on the move a lot and can't always do that to good effect.

Hi Journey.
I re-read your options list and did not see the auxiliary battery system listed. Did you order it?

If not you need to add it as you need at least one xtra battery to run the fan, fridge, lights and charge phones, etc.

I believe the solar connector on the roof is standard. Did you order one on the back wall? If not order it for shade camping as You may need a portable to place in the sun. .

Your accessory list is pretty small. I don't see a refrigerator which means you probably are not going to need anything with huge wattage. I only have an 85 watt panel and a simple Morningstar Sun Saver controller. It is more than enough for me. I use it to charge a PC/camera, run my heater fan, LED lighting, and occasionally the fantastic fan. My biggest user of power is the heater cause I live up north.

My advice (I bought my Eagle 8 years ago without solar) I would be to recommend have 4WC install the solar unless you are pretty handy. You are going to have to figure out the wiring, the mounting on the roof, maybe add more in the way of status meters, etc.

Good luck. Chris

Thanks so much for all the advice. I decided to spend the extra dinero and get the solar installed by 4WC since I'm not handy with electrical work. I just picked up the new Eagle, and I've already spent a couple of nights in it, and it's even better than I imagined. I can't wait to do some summer and fall adventures!

Back
Top Bottom