Solar (annular) Eclipse Sunday May 20

Well, it's a mystery. I looked at EXIF and the exposure was 1/5000s, so doubt camera movement was the issue. Certainly hand holding pitted glass over a non-supported camera is not very scientific method. Interestingly, this effect was visible in other images taken shortly before/after this shot.

Could also be the thickness of the glass filter, with two more reflecting surfaces between your camera lens and the Sun, especially is it was slightly tilted. A nice photo, regardless.

Speaking of pinholes....Last spring I visited my family in the UK. Accommodations are always in short supply, small homes make for limited bed space and BnBs or Hotels are really expensive. I ended up in my cousin's flat's foyer on my Thermarest :D (long story). Woke up early one morning nursing yet another "late night at the pub" puffy head, and as my eyes adjusted to the total darkness of his foyer, no windows at all and all adjoining doors closed, I notice some strange light on the opposite wall. When I found my specs I realized that the keyhole to the living room was projecting an upside down view (quite large, maybe 20x30)of the sprawling oak tree in the neighboring park out the LR window... :oops: I thought there was some great creative potential here if one was so inclined.

Now back to the eclipse.

Our view from Toquima Cave CG. Handheld through viewing glasses so not perfect. But we thought it was cool!

gallery_176_385_33297.jpg

Our view from Toquima Cave CG. Handheld through viewing glasses so not perfect. But we thought it was cool!

Sweet. And you got to be at a campground to view it. Doubly sweet.

Here's my shot of the Ring of fire from Nevada Beach in the South lake Tahoe area. Canon 50D with a 75-300mm and a 5 dollar 14 welders lens rubber banded to lens

Nice one James! And extra credit for home-made filter mount. :D

I didn't want to step on reports of this annular solar eclipse (or as a local Bend TV news reader called it: "the annual ring-of-fire eclipse"
rolleyes.gif
)...but here's the solar eclipse action that I'm waiting for:

August 21, 2017 will be the next TOTAL (not just an ambivalent annular) eclipse of the sun!
The first total solar eclipse visible from the 48-states since 1979...and the path of totality goes right across the center of Oregon!
Eclipse-2017_Oregon-1.gif

It cuts right across the center of the USA, west to east:
Eclipse-2017_USA-1.jpg

Here's an entire website devoted to the 2017 total eclipse of the sun: Eclipse 2017 that has lots of details about times (the shadow crosses Oregon mid-morning, heading east) and state-by-state maps of the path.
I was surprised to hear that 1979 was the last total solar eclipse visible from the 48 states...I saw that one!
February 26, 1979. Three friends from UC Berkeley (where I'd graduated the previous June) came up to Bend to visit on their way up to the Columbia River Gorge, and I joined them. We (and lots of other folks) were near Stonehenge (replica)...very cosmic -- it was a long time ago.
tongue.gif

We saw the Total eclipse that crossed Hawaii and Baja in 1991. Truly amazing. We'll leave it to you Bend members to find us a good rally spot for this one.

We'll leave it to you Bend members to find us a good rally spot for this one.

I already have it marked on my Outlook Calendar!

Eclipse-2017-Outlook.jpg

cool.gif

This great responsibility should rest on the shoulders of young Bendites, such as DirtyDog and Home Skillet.
wink.gif

<snip>
This great responsibility should rest on the shoulders of young Bendites, such as DirtyDog and Home Skillet.
wink.gif

Mr. BC, my public school education tells me its only 5 years and a couple of months away. You will still be around and probably still pretty mobile. The big eclipse will be here before we all know it. Looks like a good place to watch may be the top of the Grand in Idaho.

The big eclipse will be here before we all know it. Looks like a good place to watch may be the top of the Grand in Idaho.

I was thinking the same thing...though in Wyoming. The Grand Teton will be one of (the?) highest place within "totality".
Another potentially wild spot would be Craters of the Moon National Monument in east-central Idaho...though it's not dead-center of the path. On a trip (many many years ago) to climb the Grand we stopped at Craters of the Moon and wandered around the lava-covered landscape.

Mr. BC, my public school education tells me its only 5 years and a couple of months away. You will still be around and probably still pretty mobile.
Yeah...I keep threatening to move south to eastern-California or western-Nevada, to live nearer the places I usually go camping...so I may not even be an Oregon resident in 5 years. Who knows...but I know that I'll be a spectator of this upcoming spectacular. :)

Planning a rally 5 years in advance - wow. But, I'm in.

Great!
We probably don't need to start a "Total Solar Eclipse Rally" thread in "Trip Planning" for another 4½ years, though.
biggrin.gif

MarkBC - where was that cool mountain top/old fire lookout we tent camped :( there many years ago, not too far from Painted Hills. Seems like it had easy access and could be in the heart of "totality". :oops:

MarkBC - where was that cool mountain top/old fire lookout we tent camped :( there many years ago, not too far from Painted Hills. Seems like it had easy access and could be in the heart of "totality".

I was thinking of that very spot: Spanish Peak! Turn off of US 26 between Mitchell and Dayville, and head south.
A bald-top peak in the Ochocos with a road to the top! Lots of flat/gently sloping ground on top.

Wherever we end up going...if the forecast for that spot calls for clouds I'm gonna drive to wherever I need to to find clear sky. Maybe not as far as Kentucky, but maybe Wyoming.

We watched it on the Sacramento tv station,was pretty cool.During the telecast they showed a view of the sun shining on the side of a building.The leaves and needles of the trees were acting like pin hole viewers and you could see the moon disk covering the sun.I looked outside at the time and sure enough on the cabin next to ours there it was lots of pin hole eclipses on the siding,and the trees that were bid enough for it to show up.The siding was full of smiley faces as the eclipse went to "total".A bit late for this one but next time I'll know where to watch it.Frank

Mark ,off topic but how do you enter the PM icon to the avatar area? Frank

Frank, are you asking how to make that PM icon/link show up on your avatar area? It already does show up -- I can see it, but you can't see it on your avatar area 'cause it's a link used for other members to send you a PM.

We didn't get snow on the ground in Bend, but Thursday afternoon was very dismal -- 38° and raining with a few flakes mixed in with the rain. I wonder what those poor souls were thinking who got a day-early start on the holiday weekend and were already streaming into/through Bend with that crappy weather.
huh.gif

North of Lakeview, in south-central Oregon, there was snow piling up on US 395 Friday morning -- a couple/few inches anyway.

- Mark

Frank, are you asking how to make that PM icon/link show up on your avatar area? It already does show up -- I can see it, but you can't see it on your avatar area 'cause it's a link used for other members to send you a PM.

We didn't get snow on the ground in Bend, but Thursday afternoon was very dismal -- 38° and raining with a few flakes mixed in with the rain. I wonder what those poor souls were thinking who got a day-early start on the holiday weekend and were already streaming into/through Bend with that crappy weather.
huh.gif

North of Lakeview, in south-central Oregon, there was snow piling up on US 395 Friday morning -- a couple/few inches anyway.

- Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes I guess I wouldn't see it. I am a little slow with this new computer stuff.Have a good holiday.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom