Solar controller as battery health indicator?

Otis

Advanced Member
I have the 100 watt panel and Zamp 15amp controller as installed by FWC (a retrofit) with the factory installed group 24 75ah battery (the battery is about two and a half years old and was not treated kindly the first couple of years of ownership: depleted several times far below 50% of charge).

Currently (no pun intended) the contoller reads: 13.6v/full; 0.0amps; 25.7ah

I am understanding these indicators to be telling me that my battery is full, therefore it is not "taking" any more charge. My main question: is the "25.7ah" indication telling me that my battery has only 1/3 of its original charging/storage capacity? (Completely possible given the poor care the battery recieved!)

Thanks for any insights folks can provide - Otis

The controller has put 25.7 AH into the battery since it was last reset. Mine sometimes resets by itself after dark, otherwise I do it manually before bed so that each day I can see what amount of energy has been put back into my batteries.

0.0 A means that your panels aren't putting any current into the system, which probably means it is dark when you looked at the controller, or the panels were covered.

Desert Dave, thanks for the response - the readings I quoted earlier were after a full day of full sun, however your mention of reseting the system has me curious - I'm not sure how the controller resets itself nor do I know how one does that manually - I looked at the manual for the controller but didn't see any specific reference to a reset.
Maybe my battery is fine and I can spend that money on more interesting camper gear!!
Thanks again-

Otis said:
Desert Dave, thanks for the response - the readings I quoted earlier were after a full day of full sun, however your mention of reseting the system has me curious - I'm not sure how the controller resets itself nor do I know how one does that manually - I looked at the manual for the controller but didn't see any specific reference to a reset.
Maybe my battery is fine and I can spend that money on more interesting camper gear!!
Thanks again
I have a simple solar controller and a watt meter.
The watt meter has preset reading limits,like the total watts produced.
when it reaches 1000w it resets it self.
I think it's true for some other readings not sure as this one is the one I have noticed.
Frank

Thanks for the replies -
I gave a call to Zamp in Bend, OR and learned a bit about my solar controller, that the Ah indication is simply a tally of the amp hours produced over a period of time by the solar panel (which does seem to be a sort of useless number?!)
I also learned that my particular controller can only be reset by disconnecting power from both sides of the controller and waiting about 10-15 minutes. Not a very practical reset "button"! The controller does reset itself every 28 days for a "wet" battery, but not for an AGM battery.

The upside of pursuing my simple question is that I learned the solar controller does not provide any indication of battery health and that the Ah indication on mu controller is really a pointless number.
I also learned that the Zamp folks are very willing to answer any question about their products. My conversation was informative and pleasant. The person I spoke with is very excited about solar power. He also mentioned that Zamp is about to begin manufacture of solar panels in a new facility in Bend, OR. A positive converstion!
Thanks again for the replies-
Otis

I have a switch in the positive lead to the controller (from the battery). After dark, switch off, a ten count and it resets, and the light goes out. I started doing this because I wanted th light to turn off at bedtime.

In the AM after it lights up, I touch the top button once, it does the short diagnostics, and starts the AH at zero. I find it very informative to know what amount of AH I am getting back into the batteries. It is also nice to see the battery voltage in the AM before charging starts.

On an average day I get around 25 AH per 100 watts of panel. In a test under ideal solar conditions I can get up to 40 AH.

I have a ViewStar controller and one of it's readout is kWh given per day, month, and total so there's no resetting necessary to much output received each day.

Back
Top Bottom