Solar fun: no

craig333

Riley's Human
For a while now I've thought my solar charger was failing. Last couple of days I got no charge at all out of it. So I went and bought a tracer mppt solar charger. Wth? Still no charge? The meter says its getting over 15 volts from the panel.

I charge the battery with the Iota and it seems to work normally. Charges at 14.2 (I think, it could be a . or two off) and then tapers down to 13.6. But a day or two later and I'm seen 12v or less on my meter. Wiring all seems to be correct (and its over 95 in the camper while I'm working). So finally I decide to unhook the camper battery. Voltage immediately climbs over 14v. So I run over to the auto parts store and have them check my battery. Their machine says my battery is okay but at 0 charge. I don't quite understand how that can be, but I fork over for a new battery and now my system seems to be normal again.

So, I have a spare Morningstar Sunsaver-20. Not sure if I should keep it as a spare or sell it.

Btw, I did not get another Sears Platinum.

craig333 said:
For a while now I've thought my solar charger was failing. Last couple of days I got no charge at all out of it. So I went and bought a tracer mppt solar charger. Wth? Still no charge? The meter says its getting over 15 volts from the panel.

I charge the battery with the Iota and it seems to work normally. Charges at 14.2 (I think, it could be a . or two off) and then tapers down to 13.6. But a day or two later and I'm seen 12v or less on my meter. Wiring all seems to be correct (and its over 95 in the camper while I'm working). So finally I decide to unhook the camper battery. Voltage immediately climbs over 14v. So I run over to the auto parts store and have them check my battery. Their machine says my battery is okay but at 0 charge. I don't quite understand how that can be, but I fork over for a new battery and now my system seems to be normal again.

So, I have a spare Morningstar Sunsaver-20. Not sure if I should keep it as a spare or sell it.

Btw, I did not get another Sears Platinum.
What battery did you get?,Is it a AGM? Why not another Sears battery?
Frank

I went with an Optima, biggest one I could get. My Jeep likes them. One bad diehard may not be enough to quit on them but its close.

Craig...

Which Optima are you using? Part Number?

Crank battieres are different than deep cycle batteries. For best results, you need a deep cycle (marine type) batteries in the camper.

Charging sounds about right. Mid 14V readout indicates absorption mode which kicks in at 85% capacity in most Optimas. Absorption charging continues until about 14.4V (controller dependent) even though Optima states 14.7V is capacity. When the controller senses a battery (bank) charge of 14.4V, float mode engages maintianing the battery (bank) at 13.6V.

Finally, any clouds, or shadows on the panel will diminsh charging capability. Shadowing one cell on the panel will greatly reduce your charging capability. For optimum results, the panel must be pointed 90' to sun's axis with no shadows. Any angle off, even in full sun, will begin to degrade solar charging capability.

I have researched and learned more about solar charging/storage since purchasing my Hawk. While the roof top mounted panel is a good choice, given the need for the panel to pointed directly at the sun (90' orientation to sun's axis) for optimum charging, I think a Zamp 200W portable solar panel might have been a better choice for my camping style. As the sun moves across the horizon, I find the 80W portable greatly enhances my charging capability by simply adjusting portable panel's orientation every half hour or so.

I have not found a solar controller that permits absorption charging to 14.7V which is full capacity for the Optima D27M. The "M" designates the Optima as a deep cycle marine battery.

Finally, deep cycle batteries are designed for use primarily in marine applications. Such as running boat electronics, trolling motor, etc. They are designed to be deeply discharged. However, they are also designed to be recharged to full capacity after every deep discharge. In orther words, after every outing, deep cycle batteries should be plugged into shore power using an onboard or remote charger and restored to full capacity before the next outing.

Unfortunately, often times off-the-grid, we can not restore our batteries to full capacity after each deep cycle discharge. This will ultimately reduce the life span of the battery. Further compounding the Optima solar recharge issue (as I now understand it), the inability of any solar controller to fully restore and Optima deep cycle battery to 14.7V before float mode, will ultimately reduce the life span of the battery. How much of a reduction? I don't know.

This is not simply an Optima AGM issue, but any AGM, Gel or wet battery designed for deep cycle use.

Storage (battery design) continues to be the component limiting the full potential of solar and other hybrid charging systems.

I see a reading of 14.7 volts from my morningstar sunsaver mppt controller regularly (just about everyday with correct sun conditions) I have 5 years on a diehard 31 in the camper that still holds at 13.6 volts. I have another diehard 31 under the hood as well with two years on it. Morningstar has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. I would not hesitate to call or email them first if you use one of their products to troubleshoot. That being said what advmoto 18 said above plus another dozen other reasons why a solar charging system might not being working to capacity could exist.

I got the D31A. http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8051-160-d31a-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle-battery/

Just barely fit. I left it charging all night and this morning the full battery light was on. I see more voltage from the panel now. Everything seems to be working properly now. I'm sure my old controller was just fine. Very possible, though I do periodically plug in the charger (either the Iota or the CTEK 7002) that I did run down the battery too much before charging. At work and at home I only get sporadic sunlight (and its been cloudier than normal too).

The Next Adventures said:
I see a reading of 14.7 volts from my morningstar sunsaver mppt controller regularly...
Good to know for future reference!

Yet, the specs for the Sunsaver indicate absorption for AGMs operates to 14.2-14.4V before engaging float mode.

I will call Morningstar tomorrow for clarification.

WOW! $305 for the Diehard D31 Platinum at Sears!

Advmoto18 said:
Charging sounds about right. Mid 14V readout indicates absorption mode which kicks in at 85% capacity in most Optimas. Absorption charging continues until about 14.4V (controller dependent) even though Optima states 14.7V is capacity. When the controller senses a battery (bank) charge of 14.4V, float mode engages maintianing the battery (bank) at 13.6V.

--snip--
I have not found a solar controller that permits absorption charging to 14.7V which is full capacity for the Optima D27M. The "M" designates the Optima as a deep cycle marine battery.
--snip--
Check out manual for Bogart Engineering SC-2030 solar charge controller meant to work with their Trimetric TM-2030 battery monitor.

After choosing a particular battery profile, you can adjust any of the parameters as needed for your particular battery. I saw as high as 14.8v in the profile table.

Paul

PaulT said:
Check out manual for Bogart Engineering SC-2030 solar charge controller meant to work with their Trimetric TM-2030 battery monitor.

After choosing a particular battery profile, you can adjust any of the parameters as needed for your particular battery. I saw as high as 14.8v in the profile table.

Paul
Thanks Paul!

I will.

I ordered the TM-2030RV last week. Unfortuantely, brown truck did not deliver it on Friday for a weekend install. Hopefully today.

Paul..I read the pdf manuals. A lot of great information.

Back
Top Bottom