Solar in a bag

craig333

Riley's Human
My new panel came today. Nicely packaged as usual.It did come with a bag. Three cords for connecting however you wish. I was expecting to need to build an extension cord but the that comes with it fairly long. May yet need a longer cord or another plug if I wish to use it on the other side of the camper. As soon as I unwrapped it the charge controller lights were on. Legs seem pretty stable. It does say the controller is not waterproof. The unit does not come with a glass cover. If you're expecting bad weather I think you want to put it away. The bag comes with a compartment for stowage of cords etc.

I got mine this week as well. I bought some additional connectors so I could make an extension cord as well as a hard wire to my FWC batteries. Just finished the install today and it works great. I also put a 10 A fuse in line to prevent any problems to my electrical system. One note for anyone who buys these, check the terminal block on the controller. On mine one of the panel wires was pulled out. When I went to insert and tighten, all of the screws were loose.

I got mine from Solar Blvd. It was the 100 w folding unit and I just noticed they don't have it on their site anymore. Here's a 120 for a few bucks more http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-12-Volt-Solar-Panels/c1_269/p2756/W-Solar-120-Watt-Foldable-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

BobM said:
I got mine this week as well. I bought some additional connectors so I could make an extension cord as well as a hard wire to my FWC batteries. Just finished the install today and it works great. I also put a 10 A fuse in line to prevent any problems to my electrical system. One note for anyone who buys these, check the terminal block on the controller. On mine one of the panel wires was pulled out. When I went to insert and tighten, all of the screws were loose.

I got mine from Solar Blvd. It was the 100 w folding unit and I just noticed they don't have it on their site anymore. Here's a 120 for a few bucks more http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-12-Volt-Solar-Panels/c1_269/p2756/W-Solar-120-Watt-Foldable-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html
Thanks

BobM said:
After ordering a Waeco CR 65 refrigerator decided to go solar. Ordered the 120 watt folding panel today. Looked at the roof mount and I am not a desert camper. I camp in the trees and I can move the folding panel to the sun.

Bill

My 120 watt panel arrived today. Looks great surprised that the glass is on the out side when folded. I did come with the bag, not to make a place to put it when I travel.

Nothing like free power and no smell of gas. I bought some extra connectors at a local electronic store and wired a pigtail to my battery so I can quickly connect the panel on the outside. The most important thing to do is to wire a 10 amp fuse before the battery.

billharr said:
My 120 watt panel arrived today. Looks great surprised that the glass is on the out side when folded. I did come with the bag, not to make a place to put it when I travel.
I got the same back in June. It works great!

Have any of you rigged a plug with this unit that will plug into the factory FWC solar plug? How well does it work?

The cord that came with my solar in the bag panel plugs right into the FWC plug. It is a standard ASE plug. I do not have mine wired up yet but just tried a new plug and it works. I purchased two of the FWC plugs and I am putting one on each side for the panel.

Bill

So I assume that the panel is essentially "plug and play" then? It states it has a built in charge controller. So you should be able to plug in the panel to the factory installed solar plug option and immediately start charging?

Texan76 said:
So I assume that the panel is essentially "plug and play" then? It states it has a built in charge controller. So you should be able to plug in the panel to the factory installed solar plug option and immediately start charging?
Yep, that's what I did.

What brand are you guys using for an 12 volt invertor , how many watts and what are they running price wise , thanks ,Derek

This post is for FWC owners with the folding bench seat. Since I store my panel behind the back rest I noticed that the hinge bolt head was scraping through my bag. Fortunately is did not break the panel, yet. So I replaced all four bolts with flat head bolts:
20131227_152247.jpg

This was the old setup:
20131227_152300.jpg
I then cut holes the size of the head in table leg pads to add one extra level of protection.
20131227_155921.jpg
I replaced all four bolts with the flat heads to protect any other items I have stored back there.

d tree's said:
What brand are you guys using for an 12 volt invertor , how many watts and what are they running price wise , thanks ,Derek
I noticed in the latest Harbor Freight flyer I got in the mail that all their inverters are on sale this month, ranging from 80W @ $17 to 3000W @ $300: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=inverters

I have a Wagan 150W SmartAC w/USB port plugged into the dash power port of my truck while underway that is small enough to fit in one of the cupholders and can charge my phone/tablet/laptop while underway. It was about $25 on sale a few years back. In the camper, I just use the stock built-in 110V power converter.

Solarblvd delivered the 120W "solar in a bag" folding panel this week I bought based on the links from this thread. Very happy with it--beats the heck out of the factory 80W portable solar panel option from FWC for $795! :)

Thanks Stew , The wife picked an inverter for xmas for me and I have the solar in a bag, now just need to pick up a outside plug for it and install it and im off to bush wack camp :D .

I know there are seveal who use this portable solar panel and may be interested in how it may perform in bad weather -

A brief account of this solar panel and recent very wet weather use:

The owner's manual warns against getting the controller wet but I still wanted to use the panel even if it was raining. I called Solar Blvd. and asked them about the weatherproofness of the panel. They told me that the panel and everything but the controller is weather proof, but that the controller really should be kept dry. I asked about slipping a plastic cover over the controller (ie. zip lock baggie or some such) acknowledging that heat may be an issue, Solar Blvd confirmed that heat could build up inside a cover - better controllers have a heat sink built in.
This past week I spent two nights on the Central Oregon coast, the forecast was for ~1/2" of rain on Thursday and about a 1/3" on Friday, and for once the forecast was pretty accurate! Just as I got to my campsite it began raining (about noon) and rained pretty much all night and most all of the next night as well.
I set up the solar panel and slipped a quart size zip loc baggie over the controller, tucked any connectors and juctions into the bag, making certain that the mouth of the bag was wide open for ventilation. I then monitored the controller for any heat buildup inside the baggie, checking by touch every hour or so, as long as it was daylight. The panel was in pouring rain for most of the next two days and the simlple zip loc kept the controller completely dry. Also the controller did not get warm at all and the panel kept a full charge on the battery for the entire time I was camped.
Needless to say I was very pleased with how the panel performed, even under very wet conditions. I did notice a tiny bit of surface rust on the steel frame and the hinges but that easily wiped off and I will wipe those surfaces with a light oil before the next trip.
So... I concluded that if I am careful I should be able to use this solar panel in pretty much any weather - hope this may be of help -

Regards,

Has anyone ever bought one of these portable units and then removed the charge controller from the panel and used a charge controller in the camper? I was thinking that an MPPT located in the camper very close to the batter along with a portable solar panel could work pretty well. Not to mention, the charge controller that comes with these units look a little cheap.

I was also thinking that someone could make their own larger portable unit by buying a couple of 100 watt panels and doing the same thing (with a charge controller in the camper). Anyone ever try that?

Back
Top Bottom