Solar in a bag

I think that's a good idea, building your own portable unit. It would likely cost less and be more well-built. And you are correct, the controller on this panel kit is a lot cheap! I found it on eBay for something like $11 or $13! At that price I figured I could take a chance with bad weather and if/when it gets ruined I can replace it with a weather proof controller for not lots more $$.

What I am thinking will cost more but it'll be made with a lot better items and I think it'd increase power output too by putting the controller closer the battery along with much heavier cables between the controller and battery.

I was thinking two 100 watt panels from Grape Solar (attached with hinges and a handle) and maybe an inexpensive Morningstar PWN controller next to the battery. Am I incorrect to think this would supply more power than these portable units?

One of these days when I upgrade to an mppt controller I'll do that. Until then even though its a cheap unit it seems to work just fine.

I think you're correct - my kit is 100w , two 50 watt panels that look to be wired in series. I'm not much for all the calculations and details of e-lectronics but I think someone with knowledge and skills could build a much better portable unit that would generate much more power and be higher quality construction.
That being said, this budget kit has met all my needs; my power consumption is pretty conservative: just one aux. battery, led lights, furnace, and the occasional phone/iPad to charge or power the ipod with an external speaker. My fridge is 3-way and it is only switched to DC when driving so the pickup alternator keeps the charge up then.
But if one's power needs are greater, then the 200w kit would likely be the better choice.

Ive got a question for the experts. I got the solar in a bag, and my Hawk has a solar plug, but it is not connected to anything (I chased the wires to inside the camper)...

Im assuming because I have a charge controller on the panel itself that I just need to wire in a 10 amp in line fuse, then wire it straight to the battery. Is this correct?

Thank you for any advise!

fisharizona said:
Ive got a question for the experts. I got the solar in a bag, and my Hawk has a solar plug, but it is not connected to anything (I chased the wires to inside the camper)...

Im assuming because I have a charge controller on the panel itself that I just need to wire in a 10 amp in line fuse, then wire it straight to the battery. Is this correct?

Thank you for any advise!
That is what I did.

fisharizona
Ditto with billharr. You may already have an inline fuse on your cable. The solar in the bag I have is Zamp, same as FWC is or will be offering soon. However, I bought mine a year ago in Oregon. The controller is securely mounted on the back of one panel and it is waterproof. There is an inline fuse wired near the end of the cable where it plugs into the camper.

Bwht4x4 said:
That is a nice looking unit. I like how the panels fold in and everything is contained. My 120w solar in a bag, the panels are on the outside when folded and the cord goes in the bag. A little more than the $199 I paid on sale for the solar in a bag.

Side note I used my panel this weekend. Friday ran all day without it as it was raining. Got up on Saturday and sun was coming out, panel up about 9:00am both batteries fully charged by 2:00 pm. I am running a Waeco 65 DC fridge and ran the heater all night Friday it was 37 degrees in the morning.

Thanks Bill for the info on your solar set up and how it's working. I have my refrig and solar panel semi-installed and have been testing both to see how it's all working. So far I've found out that if I run my refrig all night I will have about 87-90% of my battery capacity left in the morning. The new 160 watt solar panel will run the refrig and charge the dual batteries in about 3-4 hours, depending on cloud cover. At peak sunlight on a cloudless 65 degree day I've seen the panel push out almost 8 amps. I'll be doing the final panel install tonight, but won't be able to finish the refrig until I get up to FWC for them to install the exterior vent. I'll post some better real world test results once I get out and use it more and not in my driveway. Overall though I'm super happy on how the refrig and panel are working.

I am curious with these solar-in-a-bag systems if people are leaving them unattended during hikes or similar away from camp activities. Seems like theft would be a potential concern. We don't often sit around camp much during the day and while I really like the portable nature of the systems, I don't think I would be comfortable leaving it setup unless we were around. Any comments?

takesiteasy said:
I am curious with these solar-in-a-bag systems if people are leaving them unattended during hikes or similar away from camp activities. Seems like theft would be a potential concern. We don't often sit around camp much during the day and while I really like the portable nature of the systems, I don't think I would be comfortable leaving it setup unless we were around. Any comments?
That is one of the down falls of the world we live in now. I guess the answer is it depends. Out away from everyone I might leave the solar out. Middle of a campground around people I don't know I would put it up. So far it looks like a few hours with the 120 watt panel will recharge my batteries. I can work around that much time if I need to. Just sad that you have to put up and lock up any time you are out of camp.

Bill in Stockton

I mostly camp in places where theft is minimal if non existent. I was fairly confident at the rally. I have a lot of trust in fellow camper owners.

I'm generally a pretty trusting person too. It just occurs to me that it would be a pretty attractive item sitting out. We generally clean up and put things away before we leave camp for the day. Maybe it's just my routine that I'm thinking about.

Looks like this thread has lots of experienced portable solar users participating so I'll ask about them here.

I have to make a decision about what portable solar system and camper battery to get fairly soon and I'm not sure if I really know enough to to make the decision.

My camper will have a fairly low draw on the battery as it uses a single fixture water pump (2.5 amps) and a few LED lights in it. No RV heater fan to power as I will be using a Wave 3. I was thinking of a Zamp 40 watt portable with a Trojan 24TMX battery to keep the weight down. With no previous experience using RV batteries and solar systems I'm wondering if this system is too small even for my minimal needs. The other option would be going up to Zamp's 80 Watt with a 27TMX battery.

Mostly we will be moving every day or every few days on our trips so the truck will be able to charge up the battery, but I would like a system for topping up the battery for those occasions we decide to linger in one place.

Appreciate any advise on this.

The water pump won't run much. If thats all you have that should be enough. If you have or might add later a compressor fridge I'd say thats too small.

Why not put a lock/chain around your panel? It's only a deterrent but better than nothing if you are worried about theft.

craig333 said:
The water pump won't run much. If thats all you have that should be enough. If you have or might add later a compressor fridge I'd say thats too small.
Thanks for the reply.

The camper will have the small Dometic 1.9 CF 3 way and I won't be running it off the battery, just propane as we won't likely ever be camping where we would have access to shore power.

If one was to to upgrade a little from the original plan of 40W solar and the Trojan 24, I'm thinking going up to a 80w solar and staying with the group 24 battery.

Does that sound like a better plan?

This is the one I have been looking at: http://www.renogy-store.com/100W-Suitcase-p/kit-stcs100d.htm
Good reviews, good price and free shipping.

Really though for your stated use I can't imagine you would need any solar at all. I have the big 110L electric frig, furnace and fluorescent lights and I can go two days with batteries alone ( I have two). But I will probably order the system mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom