solar panel install on roof of 1996 FWC

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I've got an 80w solar panel that I want to install on my roof. The roof is a flexible metal (aluminum, I think). The roof has lines of screws from front to back. I was thinking of installing aluminum 2" "L" beam (aka 90 degree angle) using the existing screw holes. My thought is about a 24" long length of L beam, which would allow me to use three of the existing holes per side (hopefully three screws per side into the aluminum FWC frame will be strong enough). Then I'd put same L beam on the solar panel.

I'd drill a number of holes in the side of the roof mount L beam to allow me to add a third leg per side to raise either front or back. I got the idea from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JHRE28/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CCBPRC9BFHC9

What do you think? Is this a strong enough mount for the solar panel? Its about 20" wide x 4' long and about 3" deep.

Thanks!

41O3ecHwdFL._SX425_.jpg

I like this idea...and didn't realize that it was commercially available.
I think this design would be sturdy enough... Of course, if winds were high enough...who knows...? But when you're driving it would be bolted down flat -- presumably, so not bothered by the wind.

I'm a big believer in tiltable solar panels, even though I've never actually tilted mine.

I've found on my portable panel I wind up rotating it about four times a day. Not that practical with a roof mounted panel. Just saying.

Craig333 - great point. It is not very easy to get to the roof to fold a panel.
I ended up putting extra panels on the roof to overcome this kind of issue. It is so nice to already the solar panels on and ready to go all the time without any extra effort. I've tried the portable panels before and it's just way easier to have them mounted flat on your roof.

I called All Terrain Campers, they are local to me and have done some work on the camper. I asked if I could just screw mounting brackets into the aluminum struts supporting the roof, in place of the existing screws. They said yes, that's how they do that. I got some pre drilled L channel from HD and cut it to length, and a few larger screws. I'm in the process of installing them now. This will allow me to travel with them on the roof and leave them flat mounted when parked. I could also til them either facing front or facing rear by removing a couple bolts and adding a couple struts I'll be cutting.

If this turns out the way I plan, it should be just what I wanted. Parts cost me about $30.00. I didn't save much over the cost of the Amazon product, but at least I know I'm using good quality parts that are heavy duty enough for my application.

EDIT: Things didn't work quite as well as planned. I should have cut the L channel for the solar panel a couple inches longer on each side, so it would stick out. As it is, it is very difficult to squeeze your fingers under the panel to get the bolts on and off. With a longer L channel, it would stick out far enough to easily work the bolts.

I don't have time to re-do it now, but when I've got the time, I'll rework it with the longer L channels. I'll use the existing L channel for the tilt up. For now, I'll just bolt it down and leave it flat.

Back
Top Bottom