Solar Panel Installation/Wiring on Older Camper

JAS123

Hey Folks,

I have a 96 Ranger II and I want to mount a 80 watt solar panel on the roof. From reading others posts I have an idea of how to mount the panel to the roof but I am not sure the best way to route the wires (the camper is not pre-wired for solar). Any suggestions from people who have already done this?

Thanks Jason

I can't help you with the placement of wire but this is something I have thought of as well, and guess what; I have a 1996 Ranger II as well!

I recently installed a panel on an old 83' fleet model. Got the cable hanging off the driver's side edge where it goes under the over hang and into a hole drilled into the camper near the bottom. Works fine except for one thing.. Just this Friday I forgot to pull some slack out and tried to push up the top. It didn't get very far since the edge of the plugs got stuck on the bottom edge of the over hang. One of the cables pulled out a little bit from one of the plugs and I haven't gotten around to checking the connections to the panel. Everything is still connected. Just not sure how well.

I did consider drilling a hole through the roof, but I could still see it getting hung up on something inside, and I could also see it getting in the way in there. My current thinking is to maybe mount some tubing/conduit under the over hang that directs the plug a little out beyond the edge so it doesn't get hung up but still holds the cable underneath so it isn't hanging out and trying to lasso passing vehicles.

Of course having it wired directly to the inside from the roof would be more aesthetic. Whatever works. Works.

I'm getting pretty close to wiring mine up as well. How/where does the factory transition the wiring from the roof to the power controller/battery/etc?

I was thinking of going through the roof, wires coming down behind the front lift panel - somehow getting to the sidewall, then down under the front bench/couch where my battery box and charge controller will be...

Thats pretty much how I did mine. I ran the wiring in some cheap plastic wire loom behind the lift panel then followed the exisiting lighting wiring until I took off and ran it behind the water tank to the charge controller. Would have been better to put the connector closer to the panel but that would have meant opening up the liner and I didn't want to do that. Hopefully if I hit the plug with a branch or something it will just unplug.
IMAG0122.jpg

Of course as you can see, I do whack the camper occasionally :eek:

criag333: Your example was along the lines of how I was considering routing the wire. From the photo it looks like you can unplug your panel. What's the reason for this? I was considering having it hard wired but being able to take it off might be a good option. What are people sealing the hole of the roof with?

Jason

I installed a 120 Watt panel on my 1999 Eagle. I used 10 awg landscaping wire (purchased from Home Depot) to run from the panel, down the side through several eyebolts, and down to the space in the corner of the bed of the truck. This wire is intended for exterior use. Extra wire stays hidden when the top is down. When the top is up, the wire spools through the eyebolts. All this is on the outside of the camper. The landscape wire is just like really heavy duty lamp cord, and very flexible. The flexibility is important for this to work easily. I was trying for the shortest route from panel to my batteries, which are located under the couch in the front, on the same side where the wire comes down. I took a picture of it all, but can't figure out how to post it.

As far as mounting the panel to the roof, I just used 6 Z brackets, from SolarBlvd. Measuring very carefully, I used screws to screw it to the roof in appropriate places (where the supports are located). I sealed with silicone sealer. It all seems very sturdy, and it allows air to flow around all sides.

Here is how I sealed the roof of my camper. I used a vent cover from West Marine, secured with stainless blind end pop rivets and filled the cavity with caulk.
No leaks and it prevents snagging of the wire.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• solar 1.jpg
    solar 1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 156
On my '78 Grandby I have the wires routed to the driver's side with a slack loop velcroed to the front under the cabover. The wires then go down the front inside corner and up under the camper to where my battery is in the same corner of the camper inside, that way no elements get it. I'm not at home now, but I'll try to get a picture for you when I am. If you have any other questions, fire away. Has worked out flawlessly.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am in the process of a remodel so I think I will route the wires through the roof.

It took me a while to find but the vent Dsrtrat referred to is called a clamshell vent.

I will post pictures when it is completed.

Jason

Hey Folks,

I have a 96 Ranger II and I want to mount a 80 watt solar panel on the roof. From reading others posts I have an idea of how to mount the panel to the roof but I am not sure the best way to route the wires (the camper is not pre-wired for solar). Any suggestions from people who have already done this?

Thanks Jason

I have a 94 ranger and I mounted a 125 watt panel to the front part of the roof. I actually ran the wire through a pvc pipe I attached to my roof rack. So it runs along one side of the roof. Then it drops out the back of the horizontal pvc to a vertical pvc pipe at the back of the camper and into my battery compartment. I was freaked out about putting wholes in the roof so I wired it all on the exterior. connect.jpg

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 150
  • vertical.jpg
    vertical.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 147
Here is how I sealed the roof of my camper. I used a vent cover from West Marine, secured with stainless blind end pop rivets and filled the cavity with caulk.
No leaks and it prevents snagging of the wire.
Dsrtrat

Hmmm, better idea than mine. I see a trip to westmarine coming up. I can still use a plug, just have it closer to the panel.

Back
Top Bottom