Solar Panel installation

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member
I have been looking for the "perfect" solar panel. and found the UniSolar flexible panels. They glue on with an adhesive, so no drilling into the roof, something I resist. The 128 watt was too long for my roof, the 68 watt is 10 feet long, which works just fine. $169.00 at SoldonSolar.com. If I need more wattage I can place another 68 watt on the other side of the camper roof. I bought a cheap 10 amp charge controller. Installing the panel was very easy. I washed the roof with a cleaning solution, pressure washer and scrub brush. I located where I wanted the wiring to run and aligned the panel to be as close as possible. The panel charges a standard deep cycle battery. My gas fridge uses an electric fan, which annoys me, it makes my stays in the woods dependent on battery charge. The ability to charge in the field without running a generator makes me happy. I have two installation photos, one showing the thin flexible panel partially rolled, the other the completed installation.
IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Looks light and simple, GBG. Let us know how long the sticky stuff holds up. Where did you run the wires inside to reach the battery?

1. Being adverse to drilling holes in the roof, I route the cables over the side at the curved graphic, then tucked it in through a small gap in the top of the curtain, then down through and behind some woodwork to the battery compartment. I had to drill two small holes, nothing is visible inside. I could, if the spirit moves me, and I get tired of looking at the wires hanging down, drill through the roof then seal it.
2. It stick best to metal they say, are the roofs of the FWC/ATC's not metal? Others report pressure washing the gravel off asphalt shingles and sticking them to the roof of homes. The adhesive is extremely sticky, it resembles bituthene and may very well be bituthene
3. I ran a test today, float voltage was 14 v, I turned on the fridge, gas with an electric fan, without the panels there is a slow drop in voltage over time as the battery discharges. Today from 11- 1 the battery remained at float with the fridge on, which is good.

Greatbasinguide said:
2. It stick best to metal they say, are the roofs of the FWC/ATC's not metal?
They are metal but unless you have the new one piece roof from FWC the ATCs and non one piece roofs have ridges.
You know like ..."ruffles have ridges"
Thanks Frank

It seems like a good thread to ask this question.
I have a 45w monocrystalline panel and want to add an additional 65w panel from that company that sells the "solar in a bag"
solarblvd.com.The panels they sell are called solar cynergy,and make no mention about that they are monocrystalline.So will the new 65w panel work with the 45w one.
My controller will handle the increased wattage.
Thanks.Frank

Back
Top Bottom