Solo Loading a Kayak on a Hawk

Al Z

Hi Everyone

I have a 2020 Hawk with factory installed roof tracks and 78" Yakima HD crossbars. I'm interested in traveling with an 18' sea kayak (45 lbs.) on top of Hawk, but I would have to load/unload it myself. I had come to the conclusion that it would be impossible for me to get it up and secured on the roof by myself (especially after a day of paddling). However, I recently learned about the Thule Hullavator Pro and was wondering if anyone on the forum had used that or something similar as a potential solution for solo kayak loading from the side. If it is a workable solution it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to remove the kayak to lift the top or to clear the solar panel when parked. Another question for people who use this is whether the Hullavator Pro could clear the Fiamma awning on the passenger side. Any real world experience or advice concerning whether this is a practical (but expensive) solution or alternative suggestions for getting a kayak onto the top of the Hawk solo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Al Zahler

We used Hullavators on our Tundra before we bought our Hawk. An important consideration is how heavy a Hullavator is -- which is quite heavy. The roof will be quite difficult to lift I expect. We have a couple of 17 foot wood kayaks we built about 8 years ago from Pygmy Boats. They are lite, only just over 30 pounds each, but we have not even considered putting the hullavators on our Hawk. We bought a lite Malone kayak trailer which is much more workable for us.

I have a Yakima Boat Loader assist for my round bars. I used it on my ARE shell I had on my truck pre-FWC. I tried it once on my FWC but it was still a pain climbing the ladder to secure the boat and it was heavy to lift the roof even without the boat up there, now I just use a trailer. But it is an easier upgrade than a hullavator. BoatLoader EVO – Yakima

okiedavid said:
I have a Yakima Boat Loader assist for my round bars. I used it on my ARE shell I had on my truck pre-FWC. I tried it once on my FWC but it was still a pain climbing the ladder to secure the boat and it was heavy to lift the roof even without the boat up there, now I just use a trailer. But it is an easier upgrade than a hullavator. BoatLoader EVO – Yakima
These work OK, but they’re not a silver bullet. They’re also a bit heavy, mine feels like 15 pound ( and getting heavier every year). I don’t believe they’re still being made, as I haven’t seen them on the Yakima site, and the link says not in stock. Maybe experiment with some larger diameter bamboo, well lashed to the back cross bar with heavy duty Velcro.

We have two 17' Pygmy kayaks. I have Yakima rails on my FWC Keystone camper and on my truck bed cap.
We have Yakima paddles, hully rollers and a show boat loader. When loading the kayaks on the camper I need a step stool to reach the knobs but we use a little giant 3-step as a step for the camper so it's not anything extra.

There is a YouTube video showing the how the Yakima show boat loader functions

For some reason it will not link when I paste it in so you will have to google it.

I believe Camelracer has a set of these for sale

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/23447-kayakcanoe-roof-rack-system-300/page-2

I've loaded kayaks on top of my Grandby on a 4x4 Ford 350 hundreds of times, with a boat loader on each side. I also use a 6' step ladder I take with me everywhere I kayak.

Sea kayaks are easiest, short white water boats are the hardest, since they are too short to lean against the extended boatloader bar.

I also have an 18' fiberglass sea kayak that I have hauled to Baja for years. I load it with a pair of Hully Rollers, sliding the boat up from the back of the camper. I have a 3rd yakima bar in the center to keep the front of the kayak from crashing down and denting the top of my camper. I carry an Extend n Climb ladder to tie the boats on with. I also have a 3 step utility ladder that I use to enter the camper. I need the music speaker stand to crank up the top with the kayak up there.

Easy Peazy. 2 boatloaders, both on the same side of the camper work better than just 1. Yakima makes the boat loaders for both the old round bars, and the new corelight bars. Etrailer.com stocks / sells them. Deckhand cradles, so kayak sits on rack with cockpit facing up.
One person with a tall step stool or telescoping extension ladder can load a 17 ft 50 lb sea kayak. I recommend the telescoping ladder, which lies flat for storage.
It’s easier with a 2nd person helping steady it, but with a little practice, one person can master it. If you have a 2nd kayak, load one and slide it over, then load the 2nd one…both from the same side.
Good luck.

Besides a lot of weight up high [assuming the top is not raised with boats on top] kayaks add wind resistance, reduces vertical clearance, affect handling off road and for me most importantly would cover my two Zamp solar panels....I settled for a light weight aluminum utility trailer fitted with Yakima side mounting carriers [I have 2-17" sea kayaks] .

When we had our Hawk we occasionally carried my 12' kayak and my wife's 10' kayak. For mine I used an extension bar on the front rack. Stood the kayak on its rear with the bow leaning against the extended bar. Set up a six foot ladder by the rear of the camper. Picked up the rear of the kayak, climbed the ladder, and set the rear in the Malone cradle. Then moved the ladder to the front bar and moved the front of the kayak into the front cradle. Reversed it to remove the kayak. Your kayak is much longer but the process should still work.

We take our 2 12.5' kayaks to baja every year. It takes 2 to load them using the scissor stairs and a small step ladder. It works OK. It would be nice to have a loader but that's more weight on top. We crank the roof up with a speaker stand crank.

Back
Top Bottom