Someone Stop me, Oops, too late!

Where do you get 10lb composite tanks? Is there such a thing as 20lb composite tanks? I plan on going with a 2 tank system with a auto switch-over regulator. It will be 2 20lb if I have room or 2 10lb tanks with a third tank stored in the camper or hanging off the ladder.

Also where do you get foamular R6.3 insulation?

Where do you get 10lb composite tanks? Is there such a thing as 20lb composite tanks? I plan on going with a 2 tank system with a auto switch-over regulator. It will be 2 20lb if I have room or 2 10lb tanks with a third tank stored in the camper or hanging off the ladder.

What's up DanoT?

OK, follow this link to find the LP tank: http://www.propaneproducts.com/lite-cylinder.html

The foamular is actually available at good 'ole Home Depot believe it or not. You can also order through most lumber suppliers like PARR Lumber. It's actually a really common insulation used on concrete walls.

The multiple tank option certainly becomes more viable with the composite tanks being so lite.
cheers!

I guess I should be a little more specific with the R-value. The R-value of the foamular 250 is 5 at 75 degrees F. As the temperature goes down, the R-value goes up. So at 40 degrees F it is 5.4. The manufacture (Corring) told me it tops out at 6.3. This is probably around 20 degrees or something. So take it for what it's worth.
My shell will have mostly 3 inches of this stuff all around....hoping for 12-14 R-value?

By the way gang.....I now have 2 more videos up on http://www.hookedupfilms.com for the build. These cover the final overview of the camper before carbon fiber application (which starts tomorrow) and a test run with the CF itself. I also have some testing info on the CF from a thermodynamic and strength standpoint.

Hopefully next week I will be able to show you all the CF on the camper (at least the bottom half). Man I hope this part goes well :unsure:

OK, that was pretty hard! We finally got the carbon fiber on the bottom of the camper. Not super strenuous, just really slow. Plus I got altitude sickness from the learning curve. But we took our time and I am actually pretty please with results.
The interior is where we did our learning because I knew we were gonna cover it with some finish material (I am considering cork wall tiles). The inside did not have the cosmetic quality that would be acceptable on the outside. Fortunately the outside came out great! The places where I am planning to leave the CF material showing looks really good. We did decide to paint (or gel coat) the top and the pop-up portion of the lower camper. So it cosmetics didn't matter as much there.

We have a new post with video go over the CF application process and results over at HookedUpFilms.com now.

BTY, what do you guys think about a light colored cork for the walls on the inside. I thought that maybe that would look nice and help dampen sound and handle moisture well.

Home Skillet

I just ordered a Ragasco composite propane tank.

I was going to get either a composite or an aluminum tank, and I am glad I went with the composite.

The Ragasco are available in 10 or 20 (17) pound sizes. You can order them from http://www.lpgastanks.com/

Yup, I'm going that way too. Thanks for the link!

Thought I'd drop a note while I sit waiting in the airport to fly to Phoenix to do some brown trout fishing on the rim with a new friend. Plane is one hour delayed and now I'm really wishing that the camper build was done and I could drive down there from Bend, Or. Then I could actually see the country and fish all the spots between here and there. It's nice to hop a plane and be there in less than 2 hours, but I think it is more fun to make the journey on the ground.

A few updates on the build.
Since I have decided to paint the top sections a lite color to cut down on heat transfer, I don't have to worry about the look of the material on the pop-up section. Therefore, I am going to use just carbon fiber without Kevlar mixed in. It's easier to work with and less expensive. So updates will show the black carbon fiber on the pop-up from here on.
I also have ordered my running lights and rear break lights. I purchased some Hella knock off driving lights (4 total) to be embedded in the front of the pop-up section and they look cool.
Pods8 had inquired about the lift system. I am looking at using a set of 4 actuating rams that have a 16 inch range of motion and are only 21/2 inches total diameter. They can lift 150 lbs each. I think this will be adequate to lift the top and any gear that goes up there. You can purchase a coordinated switch system for them and activate all of them at once.
I still have to finish forming the pop-up and the door out of foam and lay up the carbon fiber on those pieces. I still think the shell will be done around Christmas.

Well, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and look forward to spending time with you exploring our world with the WTW crew.
Home Skillet

What motive force are you looking at for the rams? Electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic? How are you planning to balance them?

I'm pondering jacking screws all tied together at the moment.

What motive force are you looking at for the rams? Electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic? How are you planning to balance them?

I'm pondering jacking screws all tied together at the moment.

Hey Pods8,

I have been looking at using 12V DC linear actuator with 16 inch stroke and load limit of 150-200lbs.
Link Here

I have found that most of these can be simultaneously raised/lowered with a 4-way coordinated switch (some of which can be fine tuned, others are not).
Still looking though, keep you posted.
Home Skillet

Hey Pods8,

I have been looking at using 12V DC linear actuator with 16 inch stroke and load limit of 150-200lbs.
Link Here

The one you linked is 36V by the way.

The one you linked is 36V by the way.

Ya, Sorry. Try this one: 12V linear actuator

Also an update:
I am finishing up the carbon fiber application to the pop-up top and should be done by Jan. 1. I am now leaning toward painting the whole thing simply because the material (while looking pretty good) just isn't professional finish quality. I really want this thing to look good.
With that in mind I am going to be using an epoxy skim coat over the CF and then base coat and them single stage automotive paint. Color to be determined.
The goal is to have paint done by January end. Then mounting onto the truck and moving inside to start the interior.
Home Skillet

Heads up ya'll. Brand new update on the camper build at www.hookedupfilms.com

Leave comments if you have questions or suggestions. I am always open to suggestions.
Home Skillet

For those of you still following this thread, Dirty Dog has a whole new thread with some new updated pics of the finsished camper shell on its way to the painter. The thread is titled "Home Skillet isn't nuts after all". I'm sure I totally agree, but ok :LOL: .

Home Skillet

Taaaaa Daaaaaa

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

What do you all think so far?

Home Skillet

Shiny! What type of paint did you end up going with?

By the way, what width and depth did you end up with on the cabover? I'm still in the air on that one but I'm going to plow forward and start on the core for the camper floor. First wave of epoxy is on order and I'm going to try and pick up the foam this week.

Pods8,

Super news on starting the floor! Good luck with it all.

Couldn't tell you the brand, but I went with a pro shop here in Bend, so I guess "good quality" automotive paint. It is shiny. A little too shiny. Shows every single flaw or bump. The UV clear coat is what makes it all pop so much, but worth the extra protection. Once I have all the lights, windows, and logos on it I won't be able to see those pesky little dings in my prep work. Overall looks pretty good though. I didn't show any pictures of the top, but it is white.

Home Skillet

Back
Top Bottom