Someone Stop me, Oops, too late!

68" depth, 76" width, and 31" head clearance.

I actually meant how thick is the profile in the down position from the outside bottom to outside top?

I actually meant how thick is the profile in the down position from the outside bottom to outside top?

OOOh, 17" at the front

Pretty impressive work, looks spacious. What's the next step(s)?

Hey Sunman,

I am currently working on the interior of the pop-up top as I won't be able to do much with it once it is on permanently. Should be done with that in just about 5 days. Next I will be fitting the 'lip' seals all the way around and then installing the 12V rams to lift the top.

Then move on to the interior of the bottom section, all the while working on the systems such as propane, water, etc.

I will be buying some serious stuff here soon. Thank goodness for income tax returns!

Home Skillet

And the top goes up and down, the top goes up and down, la de da, the top goes up and down!

Major update on the build. Tons of things to report. Here is a snippet with pics.

1. All the lights are on, windows are in, and the exterior trim is mostly on.
IMG_4223.jpg
2. The 12V actuation rams are installed........and they actually work (ya, I am amazed too).
IMG_4226.jpg
3. Much of the electrical is run.

4. The interior materials are on the pop-up section (starting the bottom now).

5. New goodies are arriving every day. Fridge, stove, sink, heater, water pump, water heater are all the big pieces.

6. Overhead driving lights are on.
IMG_4236.jpg
Much more at Hooked Up Films

Getting close gang!

Home Skillet

Very neat !
I like the idea of the electric linear actuators over hydraulics (oil)...
Great stuff ! :D
Thank you for sharing.

Okay hit me up with the thoughts on the actuators, much if any speed discrepancy to deal with? Overall impressions? I'm leaning fairly hard that way now.

How'd the window installs go for you? I've got mind on order now.

Okay hit me up with the thoughts on the actuators, much if any speed discrepancy to deal with? Overall impressions? I'm leaning fairly hard that way now.

How'd the window installs go for you? I've got mind on order now.

Hey pods8,

Actuators are a pretty sharp looking setup, relatively light weight, and pretty easy to install. Putting them in plumb was the hardest part.
The speed is pretty quick. Takes about 1 minute to fully extend the 14" ram and a little less to retract (due to the weight of the top aiding in downward movement). There is a difference of about 1-2" front to back when activated, but they have not bound up going up or down yet. I simply keep running all 4 until they have reached their 14" length and then the automatic shut off turns off the rams one at a time as they reach full height. I have a 1/2"-3/4" tolerance between the top and bottom though and if it were much tighter it might bind some. One could argue that I don't even need to be able to control each ram individually. I think I will at least control the front and back seprately and likely will designate a switch for each ram in the end. I first want to test on a side hill to see how much difference that makes when lifting the top. I have a video of the actuation rams in action on Hooked Up Films that shows all this pretty well.

Window install was a snap. I ran a bead of caulking around the inside ring, then some of the black polyurathane moldable tape around the outside ring and put the screws in. It sucked up really nice and made a clean tight seal. Don't forget to account for interior wall covering and exterior finish and paint when ordering your clamp ring (if that is the type of window you are going with).

Home Skillet

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. It really does mean alot to hear from other camper people that this project is actually turning out OK. You all keep me motivated.

Home Skillet

Don't forget to account for interior wall covering and exterior finish and paint when ordering your clamp ring (if that is the type of window you are going with).

Both the interior and exterior walls are just going to painted fiberglass, not planning to panel the interior wall at all.

I ordered 2" clamp rings, they should be here before I get to any glass work around the windows so after inspecting them first hand if I need to shave a little width off the core there it won't be that big of a deal.

P.S. Told you those garage door seals are appealing. ;) I was eyeing up the side seal but the plastic strip of the bottom seals looks like it made your installation slick.

Wow that is looking nice. Have you taken it out for a test drive over bumpy roads and verified there's no shifting that would affect the lift? The build has been so careful that I'm assuming you've engineered for that?

Wow that is looking nice. Have you taken it out for a test drive over bumpy roads and verified there's no shifting that would affect the lift? The build has been so careful that I'm assuming you've engineered for that?

Hey highz,

Shifting is the question isn't it. I mean it can look pretty in the driveway, but how will it do on 15 miles of washboard and potholes.

We think it will be OK once the outside trim is on too. The inside and outside trim will be working against each other to stabilize the lid on the body. The only weak point would be if the trim actually came off. Even then it would have to come off on both sides and on the inside of the wall and the outside too.
All that said, I am really anxious to test it out. I am hoping to get the rest of the trim on this weekend and take her out for a test run Monday.
There will be video of that for sure.

Home Skillet

Hey highz,

Shifting is the question isn't it. I mean it can look pretty in the driveway, but how will it do on 15 miles of washboard and potholes.

We think it will be OK once the outside trim is on too. The inside and outside trim will be working against each other to stabilize the lid on the body. The only weak point would be if the trim actually came off. Even then it would have to come off on both sides and on the inside of the wall and the outside too.
All that said, I am really anxious to test it out. I am hoping to get the rest of the trim on this weekend and take her out for a test run Monday.
There will be video of that for sure.

Home Skillet

You said you have .5-.75" of clearance right? If so you could sneak some ball bearing slides in there if the need really came up. There are ways to reinforce the core through a drilled screw hole and you could shim the 3/8" slides to the thickness needed.

Edit: My the way the video makes the color come out much better than your original photos (too much reflection in the photos), looks really good.

Back
Top Bottom