Sonora Pass Ski Camping

BillTheHiker

The FWC target date for my new Fleet is April 20 and one trip I would like to do is Sonora Pass as soon as it opens, usually Memorial Day weekend. I want to XC ski from the Pass area. I know I can find camping at the bottom of the pass on both sides, but given this years deep snow pack, do any of you have suggestions where I might park/camp near the pass so I do not have to drive up and back each day. It has been over 20 years since I skied there and back then I did not have a camper, stayed in a cabin near Kennedy Meadows , so never paid much attention to possible camp sites.

I do recall some large pullouts at and near the pass that were plowed out, but I do not know if I would be allowed to park/camp there overnight. Part way down from the pass there are some spots to camp in summer, but this year they will have way too much snow. Maybe even Kennedy meadows could still be snowed in this year.

Bill,there are some NF campgrounds just on the entrance road into Kennedy Meadow,
along the river,but like you said by April there most likely be snow there.
Best to check with the Stanislaus NF site and check opening dates.
That's some great country,my first introduction to the Sierra 40 years ago was there.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom