Sonora Pass

Looks like a great place Mr. 3pin, even with all of us old Jarheads haunting the area. Neat story about the young Marine using his survival skills.

Most of the trout I've caught with the fly downstream have all been accidental. Walking/wading with the fly trailing downstream. Sheridan Anderson was right, fish up current!

Thanks for sharing!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Most of the trout I've caught with the fly downstream have all been accidental. Walking/wading with the fly trailing downstream. Sheridan Anderson was right, fish up current!
Ah yes, when a younger man I learned I must relax and give a count before setting the hook on the downward drift. But, like WS, I've discovered I've got a 'fish on' when leaving the fly out there, unattended while wading or daydreaming.

Lighthawk said:
Ah yes, when a younger man I learned I must relax and give a count before setting the hook on the downward drift. But, like WS, I've discovered I've got a 'fish on' when leaving the fly out there, unattended while wading or daydreaming.
When you're a geezer it's either that you don't remember what comes after "two" or you drop so quickly into daydreaming. :)

I considered going to Sonora Pass on Labor Day, but I figured Ebbetts would be less crowded. Now I know better. I LOVE summer so I don't know why I got a little excited when I saw that you found ice. Maybe I'm just looking forward to a season change.

The color of Wolf Creek Lake from above made it look as if the EPA got a hold of it...

As for the campfires, my dad is a retired Forest Service law enforcement officer (LEO) and down in New Mexico, when severe fire restrictions were in place, he would physically arrest fire violators. Nothing gets their attention better that going to jail and posting bond! I think spaying and neutering are good options too.

Lastly, showers? You mentioned you took showers and I was just curious if you use solar showers, propane, or what? I use a solar shower, but really only use it a couple of times a year. It's kind of a hassle.

Thanks for the wonderful TR.

Another good read Ski. Thanks again. Are any of the CA forests closed? When fire danger gets extreme here, as a last resort to minimize risks from illegal campfires, etc., the forest will close. It's a painful decision for the USFS, because it hurts the local economy.

Thanks Ski. Another great story
Beautiful sun rise shame that most of the color came from the smoke.
Your trip reports give us the push we need sometimes to get our buts in gear and out to travel.
Sorry to read about the "idiots",they are out there and one must take care.
I can't count the time we have come into a campsite and found the fire still going.Crazy.
Thanks again.
Frank

Excellent TR, as usual Mr. Ski.
Yup, those idjits with the campfire and guns were classic examples of why we avoid camping with strangers.

The sunrise shot is spectacular, as Frank as already noted.
We saw the same inversion layer with smoke trapped below from our camp farther north.

They have closed our forests in the past but its pretty rare. Can't say I'd blame them if they did.

I really wonder why some people don't think the rules apply to them. Thanks for another nice trip report :)

Thanks again to everyone for your nice comments they are appreciated! :)

GroovyDad said:
The color of Wolf Creek Lake from above made it look as if the EPA got a hold of it...

As for the campfires, my dad is a retired Forest Service law enforcement officer (LEO) and down in New Mexico, when severe fire restrictions were in place, he would physically arrest fire violators. Nothing gets their attention better that going to jail and posting bond! I think spaying and neutering are good options too.

Lastly, showers? You mentioned you took showers

Thanks for the wonderful TR.
I believe the color of Wolf Creek Lake is caused by algae growth related to low runoff, low water levels and warmer water temperatures.

Your comment about your Dad's actions makes me yearn for the good old days.

highz said:
Are any of the CA forests closed? When fire danger gets extreme here, as a last resort to minimize risks from illegal campfires, etc., the forest will close.
highz, I remember years back our local Forest closed near the end of the fire season. Since then I do not remember a repeat of that action. Seems a simple question to ask, "Do you want to enjoy your National Forest today or tomorrow?"

Back in the old days we always prayed for rain before the start of rifle deer season so they wouldn't burn the place down and always prayed it would not snow before deer season was over because we'd have to go out and save the dumb ones.

GroovyDad, in regard to showers, a gallon jug of water is heated to a pleasant temperature and poured back into the bottle. A small bit of biodegradable soap is used and we pour water over each other. The Lady gets half the water, I get the other half. We use a small rectangle of astro turf for a mat to stand on.

ski3pin said:
GroovyDad, in regard to showers, a gallon jug of water is heated to a pleasant temperature and poured back into the bottle. A small bit of biodegradable soap is used and we pour water over each other. The Lady gets half the water, I get the other half. We use a small rectangle of astro turf for a mat to stand on.
So, in order for your system to work for me, I'll have to find an outdoorsy female to bring along on my trips...

GroovyDad said:
...................................... I'll have to find an outdoorsy female to bring along on my trips...
One walked up to my front door about 33 years ago and we've found taking care of all chores together works out pretty well for us.

Back
Top Bottom