Sorry..Old But Never Resolved..."Propane" [gases] Alarm's False Alarms

Wallowa said:
Yes, thanks, the Pdf answered a lot of questions for me.....& shelf life evidently does not factor into the sensor life-span...only powered up hours [Pg 9]...
LOL I don't believe page 9.

But maybe my unit was always faulty?
We'll see with the new one how long it lasts. I didn't complain to Atwood or FWC about it just because it is like $9 to replace.
If this new one fails in 3 years I will look for a different company I guess...

Beach said:
I thought I was getting a false alarm this past summer while on the road. Soaped the entire system in the camper and found nothing, still the alarm persisted. Turned out to be a slow leak on a 1lb cylinder in the couch storage area. Moral here is don't fixate on the camper system, check it all before replacing the detector. FYI, I got home and tested all the 1lb cylinders I had(got several from someone who was moving). I found on average 1 out of 5 leaked at the check valve. So much for thinking the check valves work after removing a stove or lantern attachment.
Don't know how well these work. One review claimed the cylinder still leaked, several reviews claimed they work great. <shrug> Might be something to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYPK1GF?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=EBZZZ5X91TTX6Y3Q8BMR

Not a lot of experience with propane detectors but extensive experience with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Unless you know for sure it was propane my guess would be CO causing the alarm.

Smoke and CO alarms false alarm all the time. If I could have figured out why I wouldn't have to had to work for forty years.

As annoying as they are they serve a purpose. They are cheap and if you can't readily find a cause I would replace it. It's not worth the risk. Unfortunately Iv'e seen the negative results.

I had this posted in the wrong thread...more appropriate here...I think :D

=======================

Not being a naysayer but does anyone have first hand knowledge of anyone in a FWC ever having been injured by either an on-board fire, propane or carbon monoxide?

If yes, what the source of the problem that resulted in the injury?

My reverse engineering approach; has there been such an event, what was the cause and then how can I prevent such an event. I always play what-if but need to understanding the causes and effects.

And yes, a false alarm can do harm, the "crying wolf" issue.

Thanks,

Phil

I ordered an additional black toggle switch from FWC to put into one of the available spots on the row of switches from the factory. Just pop the blank out first. The detector in my Hawk is now wired right to that new toggle so I can turn it on/off as needed. Plenty of air leaking into the camper as we like good ventilation in there. I had found that another plus on this setup was that my batteries seemed to last longer. That thing must have some slow draw...

River_Rat said:
I ordered an additional black toggle switch from FWC to put into one of the available spots on the row of switches from the factory. Just pop the blank out first. The detector in my Hawk is now wired right to that new toggle so I can turn it on/off as needed. Plenty of air leaking into the camper as we like good ventilation in there. I had found that another plus on this setup was that my batteries seemed to last longer. That thing must have some slow draw...
I Like that...do you have the item number for the toggle switch? Was it listed on-line or who did you order it from @ FWC?

Thanks....

Hi Wallowa, I just contacted the parts department and they hooked me up; for a nominal fee of course. Since I had to pay for shipping I also purchased a spare LED marker light to throw in the drawer for later use.

Very interesting and wide ranging conversation!... Mine is 11 years old and chirping for no reason. Is there a good source known to replace or should I start searching?

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 35
buckland said:
Very interesting and wide ranging conversation!... Mine is 11 years old and chirping for no reason. Is there a good source known to replace or should I start searching?
No reason? It's at 2x its life expectancy. Replace it.

What's up Doc!
Ya I pulled it yesterday and it had 2009 on the back 13 years!
New one on the way

Had same problem with my 2004 Eagle. Pulled the fuse, and bought one from the hardware store. Works great and no annoying beep.

Back
Top Bottom