South East Tennessee

Vanderpooch

I'm in Chattanooga Tennessee (37421)....

To far from any of the three locations to check out a camper. I have spoke to the guys at FWC to see if they had a local past customer that I could try and meet up with to see one in person but they have not had any success locating someone.

I was hoping there may be an owner here on this site that lives close or maybe someone passing thru the Appalachia's TN,GA,AL,or NC.

Please let me know.

Thanks so much,
John

John, welcome to the group.

We were just through your area this past summer. I think we're going West again soon, but hang in there, I know there're some fellows that live out your way.

Mark

Pictures...?

There is a lot to like in FWC's design.

If a picture of something specific will help, let me know and I'll try to get it...

What truck do you have?

SB

Thanks for the offer SB. I have an F-250 superduty. I was actually a day or two away from starting a vanagon restoration project and stumbled across the FWC website. I was instantly sold!
The big reason I want to actually see one is due to my size. I'm 6'6" 285lbs and want to make sure that I am comfortable in one. Plus with my size and horrible knee's from sports injuries i'm not sure on ease getting in and out. I'm only 35 yrs old but my joints feel like I should be eligible for a golden age passport! The big reason why i have dropped all sports except whitewater kayaking.
One thing i was unable to find on their website or searching here was the actual length of the couch in the hawk or panther. I wake in the nite several times to take a wiz and would probably have my wife and daughter sleep up in the extended cab-over. If you could stick a tape measure on the couch that would save me another phone call pestering the guys at the factory. also what the length would be sleeping diagnal on it. How much room is next to the couch for standing up? can you actually fold out the bed while standing next to the couch or is there some sort of shuffle to get set up? picture of the space next to the couch set up as bed would be awesome!
Other than those two issues I would feel comfortable buying site unseen after reading and reading all the awesome information that is shared on this forum. Of coarse that would be after agonizing over all the great options that are available!!
Thanks so much SB,
John

Welcome aboard and best of luck, I can't help you with pictures or measurements, but I'm sure other members with the right camper will. Keep us posted.

Some things to consider...
  • My couch-bed is 6' 5-1/2" long and 38" wide. (I have a 2000 Hawk.}
  • Can you squat the roof with your knees as they are?
  • Can you climb up into the bed of your SD with the tailgate off, hunched over?
  • Have you considered a pee bottle for those nocturnal urges? (That would let you sleep in the upper bunk.)
  • A newer version with the extended cab-over would allow you to sleep 'length-wise' so that you and your wife can get out of bed without climbing over one another. In addition, you can get an optional king-size bed!
I'm not sure how 'new' the newer version has to be.

Bobcat should work

I don't know about the FWC, but I know that I can sleep comfortably lengthwise in my ATC Camper on the upper bed. Well, it's actually my wife, our 3 year old son and me, sleeping upstairs. But then again, the three of us together make up less than 285 lbs.

I modified the sofa, so when it is used as a bed it leaves more than a foot of standing space open.

As far as I know the ATC Campers are a little bit wider than the FWC. But I could be wrong. Just check out both websites:

http://allterraincampers.com/

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

Or contact Stan (FWC) or Ben (ATC) and see what they recommend.

The ATC Website is still horribe and way old fashion, but thank god, the campers are great quality inside and out. I took my interior completely apart when I had the camper new and less than one month. I was really impressed of the quality and detail in all the areas you usually don't get to see.

I remember we had a post many months ago with a link to a map where all members (at least quite a few) registered their locations. Maybe someone remembers that post and can pull it up. That would make it quite easy for you to find the closest owner.

I guess I'm a little too far south for you ;)

Hey John

The couch in the Hawk Model is 33" x 76".

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I will keep looking for a referral next week for you.

===================================

The big reason I want to actually see one is due to my size. I'm 6'6" 285lbs and want to make sure that I am comfortable in one. . . i was unable to find on their website or searching here was the actual length of the couch in the hawk ...
John

Measurments

John,

First things first, I've got a couple pictures, but I'll need to post them later. Also, there is good and bad in here, so read everything!

Next, all my info is from my '08 ATC SuperDuty Panther. I'll stress the SD as I understand that ATC builds them a bout 2" taller for the higher cab on our trucks.

The door is 46"x28", but the couch takes up some room, making it more like 46"x18". I'm 5'11" and have no problems getting in or out. (I use the "ladder" as a hand-hold when exiting.) This door is, in my opinion, the make or break for you: if this entry is too small, you will need something else.

The height of my camper closed is 53.5". The bed slide is 6.5" and it extends into the camper about 34" or so when the slide is extended. The height of my camper popped open is 77" (6'5"). Don't be disouraged yet, keep reading!

I have an extended slider making my upper bed approximately 81"x81". If I were you, I'd get this "king" extension and sleep up here. Getting up could be a pain, but you could look at a ladder.

The lower bunk unfolded is diagonally 77". The room in the aisle is 8". I do not intend to sleep here, I don't think it's real comfortable and its a pain to fold out. The FWC's have an easier to deploy couch. My opinion is that this will NOT work for you.

So, how could this work for you? First, will the door work? If you can get around that issue then there is hope.

Make sure you get the extended slider, they might even make it longer...?

Second the pop-up on Eagles and Finches is taller, and so a Panther or Hawk could be too, I'm sure, bring the camper height to one you could stand in. Talk to both Ben and Stan.

Third, you could put the Couger/Grandby size camper on you truck and have the couch built out another 18" or so for a lower bunk you could sleep on.

ATC's website has some great inside pics under floor plans. Check both the Cougar and Panther. The cougar has some dimensions on some pictures.

Also, the Panther is about 4" wider than a Hawk, I understand.

Finally, if you can afford it, I think you should consider the SportsMobile 4x4 Vans. Money no object, I'd have one.

I just saw this post & thought I'd add my $.02. I think if you want to sleep on the bottom bunk a Granby or the ATC equivelent would be best. Mine is an '87 model so a few things are different but basically the same. I don't have the storage closet so my sofa bed is the entire 8' length of the camper when you include the front bench. On an 8 day trip to Baja I slept on the top bunk sideways - I'm 6' & 220 - I'm comfortable but any taller wouldn't be. My Dad slept on the lower bunk - He's 5'10'' & at least 285. He was 68 at the time & probably at least as mobility impaired as it sounds like you are. I bought a set of steps like FWC sells & they worked well for him to enter & exit the camper. My door is wider than the new ones but I've been in a new one & I don't think that the door width is a big issue. The only real challenge is exiting if the bed is made up as it covers almost the entire door opening so you have to climb over it to get out. I usually just leave it as a sofa if I sleep down there & that is what my dad did also all the way through Baja. Hope this helps with your desicion - their not perfect campers but they do work well for what they were intended for.
Doug

Well my above statement was based on the fact that nothings perfect - you don't see me selling mine do you?;)

Thanks...

Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I am a Custom homebuilder and out of nowhere I seem to be in the vortex of more homes than I can really handle! Don't tell my clients that!

I'm really surprised that with what seems to be such a great product (both FWC and ATC) that there’s none out here on the east coast. I guess it makes sense with both factory's in California but still lot of outdoors going on over here as well....maybe there's an opportunity for a South Eastern Dealer!?!?!

I'm not as festively plump as my post may have read. I have an athletic build like a football tight end, plus I have been dropping the lbs down to 265ish...So the width of the door is not a problem. I'm just concerned that the in and out with the height of the door will be a pain in the knee's!
In my head I just can't get the fluid motion of climbing through the door down.
Big request: Maybe a video or picture phone video of someone climbing in and out? That would be very helpful!

Is the king size bed option available with both brands or just ATC?

Guys, thanks again. I really appreciate it!
John

Is the king size bed option available with both brands or just ATC?

Both brands, but it's not listed at either.

John,

I live on the other end of TN from you. Exit 42 on I-40. I have a 2007 Grandby (8' bed truck) and you are welcome to look at it if you get out this way. You are right about not seeing many FWC campers, or any other truck campers, here in the east. I just got back yesterday from a 29 day trip "wandering the west" and I saw several FWC's on the road out there. There are lots of truck campers out there compared to what's here in the east. I have the extended bed option and I usually leave the bed made up when traveling. The 16" bed extention interferes very little with the kitchen or living area. We left it made up the entire 29 day trip. We have not tried sleeping on the couch bed yet.

If you ever get up to Wisconsin contact Sean Dempsey in Eagle WI. http://www.go-anywhere.us/. He usually has several models in stock.

Good luck.

Welcome Back Buzzman

Twenty-nine days is a nice trip. I presume you will be giving us a report.

I've been reading Vanderpooch. He is from the Southeast like us. There is also another FWC around Huntsville somewhere. I have seen his posts on this site, but he is private and does not say where he lives.

Louisville,KY

John,
We will be at the Louisville RV show Dec 2-4.We will be camping in our FWC Grandby at the show if that helps you out at all.We would be glad to give you the tour.
Sean
www.go-anywhere.us

Birmingham, Al Granby Camper

Greetings, I have a 1997 Granby Camper ( That I bought this year ) on a 1995 Silverado 4x4. I think I am the third owner. The Canvas was replaced by one owner a couple years back and they Shop built the Front Lift Panel out of Peg Board. Poor Choice. I just replaced to Front Lift Panel with a factory part. I have found The Four Wheel Company Staff most helpful for us via the phone and Email. I am very new at this Truck Camping stuff but have fun trying.

I also have found the way to stimulate the economy.

I would be pleased to meet you and you can check it out.

Personally, I choose a Four Wheel Model Camper based on Weight, it's User's Loyalty and the User's unsolicited quotes regading Service and unit life. It also afforded me the ability to tow my fishing boat or other toys.

Back
Top Bottom