Southeast Oregon in October

windy

Plannimg a short trip to Southeast Oregon early october. Got mountain bikes. Any suggestions?

I second the Steens though being up to 9,000’ be prepared for snow.
Alvord lake lies east of the Steens is cool. The hamlet of Frenchglen is cute in a eastern desert sort-of-way

Let me add to the recommendation(s) of the Steens area-make sure to keep abreast of weather conditions. The Sheldon NWR is just south of there and Virgin Spring CG is usually a good stop for water and a soak in the hot springs.

Smoke

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like we have a destination!!!!! Now if I can just contain my excitement until it’s time to go!

And there is the Riddle Brother's Ranch and Diamond Crater.

I'm heading to the Steens in a week or so. In the past the food at Frenchglen had a reputation for excellency. I couldn't get a reservation for dinner when I was there in 2013. Has anyone heard how the food is now?

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush for the reminder about the Fields milkshakes. I had forgotten. I think getting a milkshake is a wanderer's must-do even if it is windy, raining, or snowing. I'll be getting one as I drive through.

searching for nowhere said:

I'm heading to the Steens in a week or so. In the past the food at Frenchglen had a reputation for excellency. I couldn't get a reservation for dinner when I was there in 2013. Has anyone heard how the food is now?

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush for the reminder about the Fields milkshakes. I had forgotten. I think getting a milkshake is a wanderer's must-do even if it is windy, raining, or snowing. I'll be getting one as I drive through.
John and Twyla have just as good a table as ever. Call and get reservations in advance if needed. We were there in mid August and it took a couple of days.

The Diamond Hotel is another option, and they also have a great reputation.

In the Diamond area, the Peter French Round Barn is worth a stop, As is a stop at the gift store/museum. Dick Jenkins is an interesting person to chat with. His family has been their since the 1880s, and donated the barn to the state.

And, since Fields Station was mentioned................................. :)

Summer-2016-608-copy.jpg

Summer-2016-604-copy.jpg

Summer-2016-607-copy.jpg

searching for nowhere said:

We are hoping we can get out there by late next week. If not, it will be early the following week. I will try to get a reservation at French glen for sure.

Think I’m gonna go with a cherry banana shake on the way in and a vanilla malt on the way out!!

After stopping at Fields for a peppermint milkshake I reach the Page Spring campground about 2:30 today (Monday). To my surprise the campground was almost full. I chatted with the camp host and he said the campground has been full or almost full all September. But know, if it is full, talk to the campground host. He will find a spot for you to spend the night. He said one night he squeezed in 15 extra spots.

Back
Top Bottom