Southwest Colorado

longhorn1 said:
"The Alpine Loop" - How hard is this trip and with our FWC Grandby? We stepped outside our element traveling one lane gravel roads up into the mountains and across some passes in Montana and had a blast. We used 4-wheel high a lot. I have never used 4-wheel low. I've never driven in 4-wheel low and don't have a clue what to do, other than common sense. Advice on the Alpine Loop would be much appreciated and whether the trip can be done completely in 4-wheel high or whether there are some places that 4-wheel low is required and how much? If we do it, it would be on our way to Great Sand Dune NM, so we would probably find some dispersed camping, since the loop takes 6+/- hours to complete.
We've done the entire Alpine Loop with our Ram 2500 and a slide in Hawk with no problems except (at least in summer) the incessant buzzing of rented four-wheelers trying to do the loop in one day. (We took 2 1/2 days.) It is very pretty and the wildflowers in American Basin are great. However, there are many other great trails in the San Juans with almost total solitude. (Check out the South San Juans)

And 4WD? Simple. When you can't go "slow enough" in 4WD high just go to 4WD low!

Just a couple of additions for Buena Vista:

* K's is a good lunch and/or ice cream stop (but can be slow at busy times)
* The Collegiate Peaks Overlook (a couple of miles east on 285 from junction with 24) has toilets, picnic tables and stunning views of the Collegiate Peaks. It is a fee area, but we've never paid for brief stops. ;)
* Dispersed camping is available on the way up to and very near the Mt Shivano trail head

Hi longhorn1n,
I am a retired high altitude trail runner and familiar with the area between Ouray & Telluride.
Of course with your rig, AVOID Black Bear Pass at the top of Red Mountain Pass. Death trap to anything but a special jeep or ATV.
I recommend Cottonwood campground just up the Camp Bird road. Driving over the Imogene pass is extremely dicey too in a camper. But heading straight up Tom Boy Basin to Wright's Lake is doable most of the summer. Of course check to see when the high country is open. Maybe around the middle to end of June this year.
But the abundance of snow will make the wildflowers glorious this year! Best of luck.

Suggestions for The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. & Sand Dunes
BCNP is awesome. If you want some killer gold medal fishing, check out the Gunnison Gorge Natal Rec Area - BLM.
Free camping along the Gunnison River. Its north of Montrose on hwy 50 through Delta, east on hwy 92 to Austin, Co. Turn south at the sign to Rec area. Turn east on H75 and drive on this gravel road to the River road. Head down to the river & pick one of the spots to camp. I recommend the big cottonwood clumps just past the "Cool Cliffs" trail. Its really away from everything. Can be busy on weekends. Usually warm down in the canyon daytime. Coldish at night.
Sand Dunes
Totally Awesome! Lots of BLM camping and San Luis Lakes State Park is near.
Hwy 149 between Gunnison & Saguache has amazing BLM back country camping. That will give you lots of low 4wd practice. La Garita is especially beautiful, going up high out of the Valley.
You have lots of great choices. Like being in a candy store!

Durango1 said:
We've done the entire Alpine Loop with our Ram 2500 and a slide in Hawk with no problems except (at least in summer) the incessant buzzing of rented four-wheelers trying to do the loop in one day. (We took 2 1/2 days.) It is very pretty and the wildflowers in American Basin are great. However, there are many other great trails in the San Juans with almost total solitude. (Check out the South San Juans)

And 4WD? Simple. When you can't go "slow enough" in 4WD high just go to 4WD low!
Finally, evidence that slide in can make it on the loop. Heading out in early July (mid week) with a Nissan frontier and slide in, and our cousin in a Jeep Cherokee. Will take advise of others and avoid some areas and passes. Heading out on a 5 week trip from Massachusetts and really don't want to bring the jacks to remove the camper for some places. After CO, heading farther west to YSNP, then to GNP.
Thanks for all the great posts and information.
Josh

Cedar said:
Hi longhorn1n,
I am a retired high altitude trail runner and familiar with the area between Ouray & Telluride.
Of course with your rig, AVOID Black Bear Pass at the top of Red Mountain Pass. Death trap to anything but a special jeep or ATV.
I recommend Cottonwood campground just up the Camp Bird road. Driving over the Imogene pass is extremely dicey too in a camper. But heading straight up Tom Boy Basin to Wright's Lake is doable most of the summer. Of course check to see when the high country is open. Maybe around the middle to end of June this year.
But the abundance of snow will make the wildflowers glorious this year! Best of luck.
Cedar, Thanks. I ruled out Black Bear Pass and any marked in red in the 4-wheel trail book. I'm planning on the following trails:
Last Dollar Road, Ophir Pass & Alta Lake, Clear Lake & Bandora Mine, Corkscrew Gulch & Hurricane Pass, and Red Mountain Mining area. jd

longhorn1 said:
Cedar, Thanks. I ruled out Black Bear Pass and any marked in red in the 4-wheel trail book. I'm planning on the following trails:
Last Dollar Road, Ophir Pass & Alta Lake, Clear Lake & Bandora Mine, Corkscrew Gulch & Hurricane Pass, and Red Mountain Mining area. jd
I look forward to a trail report and pics on that collection. Sounds like fun!

Ophir Pass road is great. Make sure to stop at the top and take the cairn marked trail to the high alpine lake. The water is COLD and a beautiful blue. I don't think any fish live in it but don't know why. Red Mountain area is amazing. Have fun! I look forward to pics and see how you liked it!

Back
Top Bottom