Spare Tire Install with Camper On

tstruss

I am looking for the most cost effective and safe method for lifting my F150 with a 1400lb pop up slide in truck camper installed. This is in case of a flat tire. I don’t have steel front and rear bumpers so I don’t think a farm jack will work. I want to remove the jack stands from the camper while traveling but the standard jack that came with the truck may not be enough to lift safely while the camper is installed. A bottle jack will lift but I need something more off road focused and that will reach the lift points without a bunch of wood spacers. Any thoughts?

There are several threads on jacks, and everyone has their favorites. I’ve changed a tire on a F250/Grandby combination using the factory jack . It felt safe, but was awkward, not to mention a struggle in the 100° weather.

I will try to find the thread for you. Try this link.

The jack that came with your truck will lift it safely if you are under GVWR and GAWR and have stock size tires. (Manufacturer would have legal issues if its not.)
Safely is a personal determination. Convenient is again a personal decision.

I carry a wood for soft and/or uneven ground.

I use a 2 ton aluminum racing jack. It's permanently stored in a lockable cabinet in the rear of the cab. I also carry a cordless impact to make things even easier.

The stock jack for my 2010 Silverado looks like a 7" tall bottle jack and has a hole in each corner of the 5"x4" base. the jack has a full lift height of 18". I carry an 11" square piece of oak (1.25" thick) and bolt the jack to it. this has worked well in soft/uneven road conditions for 2 separate tire failures (sharp rock/ nail punctures). I agree with Ski3pin's suggestion to try it out at home until you get comfortable with a solution you can work with should the need arise. When carrying the camper and pulling a boat trailer, I carry a 3 ton floor jack (I've not had to use it yet).

I carry a small 3 ton floor jack and use a breaker bar
with a deep socket for the lug nuts.
Also some wood blocks to place the jack on.
and a short piece of wood 4X4 between the jack and lifting point.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom