Spare Tire Mount Directly on FWC

White Dog

Has anyone built, seen, or heard of a swing away spare tire frame mounted directly on the back of a FWC. I couple of questions come to mind immediately: 1) is the camper frame strong enough to take the weight, and 2) is there enough space to accommodate the larger 18" or 20" tires being used on modern pickups?

I know there are aftermarket bumpers out their that will do the job (ex. http://www.aluminess.com ) but this seems like overkill.

Being new to the forum, I hope this hasn't been covered before. I looked but couldn't see anything.

Welcome White Dog. I know others have had their camper frame reinforced just to carry the weight of a jack. So it is doubtful the frame could carry the weight of a spare. I don't recall having seen that on this website before but maybe FWC has seen it done.

Stan, you usually have photos of customer's mods. Any info on this?

No way I'd mount one to the side/rear of a FWC. They just are not designed or built up to the task.

I'd build a swing away setup tied to the frame of the truck if it were me.

I suspected adding the strain to the frame of the FWC was asking a bit much. I know Stan makes them strong but the tire and wheel together are heavy. Throw in some serious bouncing and the G-forces would get up there pretty quick. Maybe Stan can add his comment here.

I like the Pivot Pin idea. Any photos out there of mounts built with the Pivot Pin? Sounds like I may have to start lobbying for a welder.

I think it would be alot better to mount the tire rack to the truck or the truck bumper.

Puting the spare tire weight on the truck or bumper would be the best idea !

:)

Hi,
I have a old Fleet model FWC on a 95 Tacoma short bed. It extends over the tail gate. FWC says the roof will handle a 1000# of snow, so I'm hoping a 80# tire and wheel can sit on top. I just need to design a crane and mount for it.

The truck frame is too light to handle any extended bumper/spare rack.

Hi,
I have a old Fleet model FWC on a 95 Tacoma short bed. It extends over the tail gate. FWC says the roof will handle a 1000# of snow, so I'm hoping a 80# tire and wheel can sit on top. I just need to design a crane and mount for it.

The truck frame is too light to handle any extended bumper/spare rack.

You will need that crane to pop your top with a tire on it.

I took out a stool and my afternoon tea and sat down and stared at the back end of my Tundra for a half an hour. There is no way I am going to hang a spare tire off the factory bumper (I know where they saved a few pounds on the weight). However, a section of angle iron hung over the back lip of the box and held in place by the back two bolts that hold the box to the frame should form a strong foundation for a spare tire frame and maybe even a second rack on the other side for a couple of Gerry cans of fuel. The back edge of the Tundra's box is about as strong a section as I'm going to find especially if I spread the weight out from side to side. We'll see how this idea evolves but I can't do to much until the Grandby arrives in the spring. I'm also going to study the Pivot King site for some ideas.

I guess I'll just have to head to Arizona for the winter instead!

Came across these folks on the www ( http://www.comp4x4.com/home.php ). They make a number of different tire carrier hinges as well. Don't know anything about them but they do have a couple of useful videos.

Being new to the forum...

Looks like your question has been answered. So welcome to WTW!

You can buy a hitch mounted spare tire carrier, but for the life of me I can not remember at the moment who was making it.

Thanks for the link to Tire Gate. I'll have a look at their ideas.

This is for a second spare. The Dempster Highway has major sections of crushed shale and tire stores are few. If you thought gas was expensive in the north, try having a new tire flown into Inuvik!

Yes, I have driven the Dempster 6 times. I did get one flat. It was on a seriously overloaded rental camper (1/2 ton Toyota with smallish cabover camper) with under rated 1/2 bald tires. All the other times (rental sedan, 3/4 ton truck campers, Jay's old Nissan) I had no problems. The Dempster is actually a much better road than most places I go to. There are plenty of sedans driving that road, many only have mini spares. Relatively new tires and especially keeping the speed down a bit, goes a long ways to save tires.

In a double Sahara crossing, I was advised to have 4 spares. Yes, I brought 4 spares, needed none. But I did sell them for lots of money in Algeria.

All this being said, a second spare does give reassurance. Consider a front bumper/fraim mount so you do not need to swing it out of the way as often. Up front it can be very simple with no swing out needed.

I used to work up in the Mackenzie Delta and drove the Inuvik-Fort McPherson section many many times, summer and winter. I too never had a problem. In fact in all the years I've been travelling, the only flat I had was on my trailer and it was a slow leak (stone puncture in Alaska) that I found at the end of the day. Didn't even hurt the tire much. However, I've been in the northern garages and have seen the piles of shredded tires. The mechanics all agree with your philosophy: slow down to save the tires: Speed = Dead Tires!

That being said, I think my tendency is toward caution. Hence the second spare. Maybe its an age thing or just a philosophy of 'Do it right the second time' (with all do respect to Mike Holmes).

The front mount certainly has merit. I will have to see if it is practical or even possible on a stock Tundra. The front end looks good but it don't see a lot of real structure there without doing a lot of fabrication to tie it back into the frame.

The front mount certainly has merit. I will have to see if it is practical or even possible on a stock Tundra. The front end looks good but it don't see a lot of real structure there without doing a lot of fabrication to tie it back into the frame.

The front of the Tundra frame is designed to crumple in a crash, so be cautious about adding to much weight to it.

The frame on the Tacoma is even dimpled to weaken it and aid in it crumpling in a crash. Not sure if the Tundra is the same.

That being said, I think my tendency is toward caution. Hence the second spare. Maybe its an age thing or just a philosophy of 'Do it right the second time' (with all do respect to Mike Holmes).

There was a time when I carried two spares for remote traveling. I still see the merit in it, but now I feel comfortable with the fact that I have super rugged tires (E rated BFG AT's) and an air compressor with a full tire repair kit.

Here are some pictures I have saved.

(spare tire mount pictures from customers over the years)

Can't say if the designs worked well, or not, but just thought I would share.

It also helps to see several different ideas and designs before you build or buy something.

:)

Attachments

• 5555.jpg
    5555.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 44444.jpg
    44444.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 340
  • 77777.JPG