Spare Tire - not a "mod"

PackRat

I put some new tires on my F-250 last month as they were cracking on the sidewalls even though I had plenty of meat still on them. While I was at the tire dealer, I politely asked them if they would drop the spare tire and we could check to see if it or any of the four take-offs were "better".

Actually in addition to that, I wanted to find out if the air pressure was up and even more important, if it was going to be easy or difficult for me to drop the spare if I needed it sometime. While we did keep the existing spare (I think?), we not only got the spare up to pressure and more importantly, while removing it and reinstalling it, the exercise got the rust/dirt/crud off the threads. The shop tech also used Never Seize on the threads or something similar tire shops use on the threads which means I can now drop the spare without the help of three men and a small boy!

Not being able to drop the spare ranks right up there with having a jack and no jack handle! Which reminds me; I need to lubricate the jack also!

PackRat
Never hurts to let someone younger do the heavy work.
I like keeping things lubricated. However I will say dry can sometimes be an advantage if the item is going to be exposed to dust and dirt.

Russ

Those spare tires under the bed are a huge pain to drop for use, and a much bigger pain to put back. I'm not at all happy with mine, but it's going to be a big project to come up with something better. In the mean time, I try to drop mine every year or so, just to make sure it'll still come down.

Agreed on the "pain to drop". This may be the most expensive 'spare tire carrier' ever! But the spare is sure easy to drop!

nelstomlinson said:
Those spare tires under the bed are a huge pain to drop for use, and a much bigger pain to put back.
EpZoMYUir9H8t-Yjgot9Pqbbralw-5bk2rJWuMo0Nbmmg5REon-xCAJbvwTsVReNPch-z4tG8aWul7fRsP6uHBAdXaGZ50F4LPfTCfaUz_nrheUtfLKE6quc4i0g5RMr95sj-Q4YcgLdMlYE5IRrADOthITG5XgcZ2FTzEgT7EsRhkIhUXjKQ2qOSnAeQ9xZ0qTCyi1nhEUnf96Jyq1rVlmhK0d-uXQVyO0ZAXnrhFDQAJRveV4PYIJOqn-TOZzc0k5pE9WgYklGrIRQPrpBLMmMXw4IJYeo0hG_B0bdmB9pU0SP2jC24tMjIQ5PaIgqK6ivFpkLQGKHetYM9wSsJNB03wxNbIMxFUraALtLW4Su6fAWLkGfGcXeZ4g2289TWYNkFePXcu2sQ59PGxIyoFIgfufEq8yRklXmeEvGJUg3f_AvsK27KVxLeb61sL3ocaCaZW6mafiEFPbqiKamKoiPEC9wxrpqejJqy9zJE54wk18yhfMOEI7ZkCgjCwjc1J6oygK2rJwFj6vho6v4BuMBvXruAT8LQ-9sToEpdyWPiYatDewhY-V0v8GVfazeQGWJGDmcsNp3IEhi_cl0l3mGwIWEleehc1vJBoP_=w708-h943-no

However, this full width 'cross box' didn't prevent the spare from being "a much bigger pain to put back!" (I lifted it back by myself and two weeks and four chiropractor visits later I am finally not walking like a crab!)

I used a HitchGate on the Dodge, using the stock location on the Chevy. I found lifting a 70+ lb. tire onto the HitchGate was becoming tougher.

I REALLY like what ntsqd came up with. There is a similar bolt-on application for military Hummers that would work with some fab skills but it is pricey! For now, I’ll follow the recommendations for keeping the pulley mechanism lubed.

I just lowered and checked my spare tire recently and I'm sure glad I did. The "tube" that guides the rod to the spare tire crank had come off (it's common). It was very difficult to get rod inserted into the crank to lower the tire down, even in my own garage. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it while dealing with a flat.

It's something we should all check periodically.

Back
Top Bottom