spare tire plan

davinski

Hello, all..

I got some new shoes for the truck today. I must admit I didn't put much thought into the spare. Mine spare is older, and probably should be replaced. I asked the guy at the shop, and he of course wanted to sell me a perfectly new 5th tire. Then he said I should always get 5 tires every time I buy. Everyone else I asked thought I was crazy to do this......except those who go off the beaten track.

It was suggested to me that I get an extra spare that is the same as the tires I run. I should rotate them every 4-5000 miles and keep the spare in the rotation. This would seem reasonable, but more work. Such is life, no?

Is this what everyone does or do others have different approaches to the spare. I often carry two when going way off the pavement, but two crappy spares is probably not a good idea either. It is interesting how such obvious issues don't become obvious until you do something so simple as get new tires.

Also, my spare under the truck gets some bad abuse. Lots of dirt, rocks and such. Anyone use a cover or protection? Or I am guessing some of you store it somewhere else.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Dave

If the spare is the same ire size and not abused, I do not see an issue with it unless it is just too old. It is out of the way of most UV, should be fine. As a result I do not rotate mine. Now when I get new tires I plan to upsize from 265/70R17 to 285/75/R17 or a bit larger, that will cause me to upsize the spare also. I hope the larger spare tire fits in the carrier OK.

Also, my spare under the truck gets some bad abuse. Lots of dirt, rocks and such. Anyone use a cover or protection?

It takes less abuse than the tires touching the pavement/dirt...

Dave,
Try finding a place that sells used tires, over the years I've managed to find spare BFG's in good condition for around $40. I'd rather have a used BFG under my rig than a new stock spare should I need it. No rotation, cover or protection here.

I'm one that does rotate the spare. When I up-sized to Toyo 295 MT's, I also up-sized the spare. It's in the rotation schedule, Les Schwab rotates the tires for free, no reason not to include it.

Hello, all..

Then he said I should always get 5 tires every time I buy. Everyone else I asked thought I was crazy to do this......except those who go off the beaten track.

It was suggested to me that I get an extra spare that is the same as the tires I run.
Dave

On my previous AWD's (Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Quadra Trac, VW SYncro Westy) I did use a 5 tire rotation, and I had sourced a matching alloy wheel for the spare. For my 4x4 truck I have not bothered to do this. The matching tires size was more critical for the AWD, particularly those with a viscous coupling. Not a big deal with the 4x4 where it can be disengaged.
Dave H

If the spare is the same ire size and not abused, I do not see an issue with it unless it is just too old. It is out of the way of most UV, should be fine. As a result I do not rotate mine. Now when I get new tires I plan to upsize from 265/70R17 to 285/75/R17 or a bit larger, that will cause me to upsize the spare also. I hope the larger spare tire fits in the carrier OK.

@Mike, I think you meant 285/70/17. The 285/70/17 will fit easily in your spare carrier. That is what I have under my 2006 Ram.

Gene

@Mike, I think you meant 285/70/17. The 285/70/17 will fit easily in your spare carrier. That is what I have under my 2006 Ram.

Gene

I stand corrected. Good to know it should fit OK. Tnx!

Gene

Mike & Gene,
I have Toyo 295/70R17 MT's which are even bigger than the 285's and they fit the spare carrier fine on my 2007 Ram.

Mike & Gene,
I have Toyo 295/70R17 MT's which are even bigger than the 285's and they fit the spare carrier fine on my 2007 Ram.

Thanks Bob,
What I'd really like is a slightly taller, no wider tire. Too bad the 285/75/17 doesn't actually exist in E rated.

My spare isn't the same type of rim as my other tires so I don't rotate it. I do check the tire pressure at the same time as I check my other tires. Sucks to pull out a flat spare.

Thanks everyone for great replies.

I did not even think about my rim. I have a not so good looking steel rim for my two spares. If I did get a real rim, might be nice to rotate but seems it might be too much work. The guys at the shop will do it, but I am just not so sure I would really get out and take it in.

I do like the idea of looking for a gently used BFG but not so sure I would trust it. Maybe look out for tire rack or something. Options, there are just so many.

I will resign to keep thinking about it for a while.

dave

Thanks Bob,
What I'd really like is a slightly taller, no wider tire. Too bad the 285/75/17 doesn't actually exist in E rated.

I found the Toyo Open Country M/T in 285/75/R17 listed as E rated 10 ply on seversal sites. 34.1" x 11.6" for 8-9.5" rims. About $290 a tire at one place, in stock they claim. Taller and narrower than the 295/R70 version. That is probably my next tire set. Dave was after a BFG so not much help for him :). Good for us Toyo guys.

Back
Top Bottom