Spot

Barko1

Any one here using a Spot locator the GPS satellite messenger? http://www.findmespot.com/en/ Might be nice to have if you break down solo out in Canyonlands or some such place. I do some solo dirt biking so I decided to get one. They have a new model out but it wasn't available locally so I got the last of the original version for cheap. They all have a cool tracking feature you can subscribe to, tells others your trip progress via google maps. Also give you an exact path of your travels. I bet you could have it send the automatic updates to the forum :LOL:

I'll test it tomorrow on a dirt ride and then next week I'm off on a near 6000 mile trip to the East and back via bike. :p

6000 miles, huh, J?

that equates to what...2 new dogs added to the pack while yer gone?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

be safe.

mtn

Any one here using a Spot locator the GPS satellite messenger? http://www.findmespot.com/en/ Might be nice to have if you break down solo out in Canyonlands or some such place. I do some solo dirt biking so I decided to get one. They have a new model out but it wasn't available locally so I got the last of the original version for cheap. They all have a cool tracking feature you can subscribe to, tells others your trip progress via google maps. Also give you an exact path of your travels. I bet you could have it send the automatic updates to the forum :LOL:

I'll test it tomorrow on a dirt ride and then next week I'm off on a near 6000 mile trip to the East and back via bike. :p

I use the SPOT. You don't have any way of knowing if you sent your location successfully (at least on the old model), but I have always had success sending an "OK" if I leave the unit in the open, resting horizontally, and leave it for the full 20 to 30 minutes. If you are biking and want to track your route, best find a way to set the unit horizontally while you travel. I've tracked my route when I leave the unit horizontal on the truck dashboard with good success.

I sometimes camp solo (unless you count the dog), and sending an "OK" to friends and family puts everyone's mind at ease. IMHO, it was a good investment, especially if you aren't interested in getting your radio operator's license.

The unit is designed and built by Axonn, LLC. It uses the Globalstar and GPS satellite constellations. My company, Spectrum Control, provides the patch antenna. I designed the antenna to operate more efficiently at 1615 MHz (LHCP) than at 1575 (RHCP) so that it would be "very likely" that you can send a message from wherever you can obtain a GPS lock. The system has been very successful, technically, commercially and from a humanitarian PoV.

There are several people living around the world who would be dirt today without the equipment.

I am on my 2nd season with the SPOT. I've never needed any function other than the "I'm OK" which I also send home to my computer to see where I was at different times. I have sent probably 50 times with it without fail. I am very confident it will reach someone in time of urgent needs. I paid $100 for mine. Now they are free with a paid 2 year subscription. I can not believe why anyone who enjoys being in the back country with no cell service does not have one!!! :)

I won't argue they aren't great to have. No doubt. But they're still no substitute for common sense and preparedness.

1. Theres no search and rescue agency with helicopters ready to go at a moments notice. SAR is handled by many different agencies with widely varying competency. Some places have excellent very professsional rescuers ready to go. Other places you may be dealing with Andy sending Barney Fife out to get you. Helicopters may or may not be readily available. The dispatcher starts calling around, who has one ready. Hmm, medical center copter is out on a multi vehicle accident on the interstate. CHP copter is down for maintenance. Fire copters are seasonal availability or otherwise unavailable. Sure they'll find one but it may not be that one hour rescue you were anticipating.

2. Some things can't wait. You buddy is chopping firewood and puts the ax into his leg. You better know some first aid because he'll be dead before even a fast rescue can get there.
Besides trauma theres things like diabetic shock, anaphylactic shock (bee stings etc.) you need to know what do while waiting for help. Know your buddies special needs and don't assume they'll be able to self administer meds.

Learn first aid preferably wilderness first aid. The more the better. Be ready to do things they recommend against. Most places tell you not to use a tourniquet. Thats good advice in an urban environment but in the boonies a tourniquet may be whats required to save a life.

3. Understand (and I know, everyone on this site already understands) that certain things are gonna kill ya. Have a massive heart attack and spot is just going to help recover the body.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. We know and accept the risks when we leave civilization. I just hope everyone that purchases a spot knows that while a great tool, it has its limitations.

Free? Where?

At Cabelas with a paid 2 year subscription!!!!

I camp 95% by myself usually in remote locations. My SPOT has never failed to send a msg. I also carry an ACR if things really go south!!!

They offer a towing service function now. They are a little vague about where they will come to get you, but they do not exclude dirt roads. I guess they just have to be normal dirt roads.

I think it is a good deal, given the price.

George

I looked at Cabelas for the free SPOT but found no mention. There is a $50 rebate offer on the SPOT 1 good until Dec. 31, 2009 according to the SPOT website.

I've had my spot for 18 months now. Have used it in the mountains, desert, slots, river canyons, in NV, UT, ID, CA. If you give it a clear view of the sky and time to acquire a GPS signal (10-20 minutes if you've moved a hundred miles or more, 5 minutes otherwise) and then send a message for at least 20 minutes it will go through 100% of the time in my experience. It is great to let friends and family know if you are OK or need non-emergency help and to get emergency help if you are in a life threatening emergency. Just like dialing 911 it can and has been abused by idiots. Go prepared to help yourself and only hit 911 if someone's life is in immediate danger, hope I never need to use it for that but glad I have it.

Looks like there is a recall on the second gen SPOT
http://findmespot.com/exchange/. Think I will wait until they have it sorted out.

It's unbelieveble to me that any bozo with a credit card can buy one of these things, decide he's "starving" 2 miles into a hike, and dispatch the cavalry with little consequence. SPOT is good in theory and no doubt has saved lives, but I honestly believe it's marketed as a replacement for a sound decision making framework and solid backcountry/outdoor education.

Maybe there should be some kind of test to get one. I do believe we're getting more and more bozo's in the outdoors all the time.

Looks like there is a recall on the second gen SPOT
http://findmespot.com/exchange/. Think I will wait until they have it sorted out.

I was in REI last Dec and they had the old one. They got recalled and sent all of the Spot 2 back. Some day the new revised one will come out. I too is waiting.

My brother came through Boise earlier this month and we went to Cabala's and he bought one. It is the 1ST generation model. The offer for a free SPOT with a paid two year subscription had just ended 12 31 09. But he was happy as he did get a $50 rebate.

As far as the "Bozos" go, they will learn real fast that these Sheriff's Dept's are not made of money. S&R's are not cheap. A lot of them are now billing you for the extra man hours you added to their budget to come find your sorry butt!!

The SPOT program offers $100,000 worth of S&R insurance for $7.95 per year. Both my brother and I grabbed that in a hurry!!! :cool:

I prefer to call those Bozo's by their official title. Ignoranus - a person that's both stupid and an a$$hole at the same time.

I prefer to call those Bozo's by their official title. Ignoranus - a person that's both stupid and an a$$hole at the same time.

Ignoranus........I missed that the first time around!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom